Author Topic: [FINISHED]Building a NerD 60 V2 ISO Bluetooth keyboard.  (Read 4626 times)

Offline andersbaero

[FINISHED]Building a NerD 60 V2 ISO Bluetooth keyboard.
« on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 14:52:45 »
So I'm trying to build my first keyboard, and I'm really uncertain/nervous considering this is alot of money, and I don't want to screw it up. I live in Norway so gathering all these parts together is a bit of an hassle, so I want to make sure it's feasible before I go ahead with this project.

I'm certain that I'm going to get working functionality with the Nerd60+bluetooth module, but my main concern is getting all of this to fit into a aluminium casing, and doing an ISO build.

I've tried searching for previous builds with the Nerd60+bluetooth, and I haven't found anything yet.
Would this work? Am I missing something crucial?

Parts:

PCB: NerD 60 Ver2.0 + Bluetooth/battery module.
Plate: Universal Frame/Plate for 60%
Switches: Zealios 67g
Case: Aluminum 60% Base -Silver from 1upKeyboards.
Stabilizers: PCB Mount Stabilizers

Finished post/pictures:
I'd just thought I'd update this thread in case anyone after me comes looking for help/advice on a build like this.
Ultimately it turned out pretty great, tho I had to order a new battery, the one that came stock had very short/thin wires, and it was practially impossible stripping them.

Other than that, it's a great board. Haven't been able to test out the milage of the battery yet, but I've used it for 5hrs at least without issues.

Actual parts used(some changes along the way):
PCB: NerD60 w/BT module
Switches: Jailhouse blues (MX)
Case/Plate: XD60/64 Aluminium Case with acrylic diffuser from KPrepublic
Caps: Custom designed from WASD.

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:52:18 by andersbaero »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Building a NerD 60 V2 ISO Bluetooth keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 15:09:18 »
The GON PCB is a bad choice. He doesn't ship.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline andersbaero

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 15:28:01 »
The GON PCB is a bad choice. He doesn't ship.

Are there any other bluetooth compatible PCB's out there, I've been looking at the Mickey project here on GH, but it's not readily available yet.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 15:31:16 »
I have two Nerd60 PCBs and they work very well, are robust and easy to program. However, GON has been unresponsive recently, so it may not be advisable to try to source the PCB from him, at the moment. I am not aware of any other PCB with Bluetooth that is readily available, though.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 15:39:39 »
1upkeyboards has Gon 60 pcbs for sale

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 15:49:17 »
Ask LeandreN if he has any more NerD60 to sell, he's in Norway as well so shipping should be cheap. I don't know if he has any BT module to sell though.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline andersbaero

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 15:58:55 »
Ask LeandreN if he has any more NerD60 to sell, he's in Norway as well so shipping should be cheap. I don't know if he has any BT module to sell though.

I'm not sure if he has the Ver2.0, but I'll be sure to send him a message, thanks for the advice.

1upkeyboards has Gon 60 pcbs for sale

The issue with this though is that they don't have the Ver2.0, which is the bluetooth compatible one, and they also don't sell the bluetooth module either.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 16:29:06 »
You are right, the only source for the bluetooth module is GON himself. I suggest you to try to contact him upfront and ask for stock of both, the PCB and the Bluetooth module. There is no guarantee after that if you pay for the parts though. In my own personal experience GON has been always good, but the abundant reports against it deserve attention. One only caveat I can share is that most issues with GON are related assembled boards and not with parts only, in any case, there is still risk associated with sourcing parts from him.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 16:34:21 »

I'm not sure if he has the Ver2.0
He does have the v2, I bought many from him.

Offline andersbaero

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 16:46:58 »

I'm not sure if he has the Ver2.0
He does have the v2, I bought many from him.

Ah thanks! I've sent him a message at the support email for Mekanisk.co, but I'm not sure if he checks that anymore?
Are there any other ways of contacting him that you know of?

Offline andersbaero

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 16:48:31 »
You are right, the only source for the bluetooth module is GON himself. I suggest you to try to contact him upfront and ask for stock of both, the PCB and the Bluetooth module. There is no guarantee after that if you pay for the parts though. In my own personal experience GON has been always good, but the abundant reports against it deserve attention. One only caveat I can share is that most issues with GON are related assembled boards and not with parts only, in any case, there is still risk associated with sourcing parts from him.

Cheers, maybe if I can source the board from someone else, I'll ask GON himself regarding the module, since it's the cheapest parts I think it's more reasonable to only try and get that part from him.
Thank you.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 16:56:04 »

Good luck getting a reply
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 17:06:00 »
I've sent him a message at the support email for Mekanisk.co, but I'm not sure if he checks that anymore?
He does.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 22:52:55 »
Regarding the Bluetooth module, it definitely will not fit every case (I would even say won’t hit most) because the battery requires quite a bit of space behind the pcb unfortunately.

In addition I recall gon mentioning it’s not recommended to use the Bluetooth modules inside aluminum cases (Not sure if it can actually block the signal to some degree).

I have a gon crystal 60 with Bluetooth module for reference  (which is a polycarbonate case and the only case by gon to actually support the Bluetooth module)

Offline andersbaero

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 00:40:01 »
Regarding the Bluetooth module, it definitely will not fit every case (I would even say won’t hit most) because the battery requires quite a bit of space behind the pcb unfortunately.

In addition I recall gon mentioning it’s not recommended to use the Bluetooth modules inside aluminum cases (Not sure if it can actually block the signal to some degree).

I have a gon crystal 60 with Bluetooth module for reference  (which is a polycarbonate case and the only case by gon to actually support the Bluetooth module)

Yeh the aluminium case is a certain no-go. It will act as a faraday cage. Have you tried with other plastic cases?
I'm thinking that with plastic cases you have alot more ability to DIY-fit the board. Like dremmeling a portion where the battery would sit on the bottom of the case for example.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 11:51:00 »
I have built and regularly use a GON BT 60.

Yes, the BT module requires V2 PCB.  The battery requires a significant amount of space in the casing.  Basically it is too wide to go in between the "ribs" that are inside most 60% cases, so you will have to mill out about 5 inches of a "rib" to fit in the battery.

I tried an AL case and it did not work.  I don't think any metal case would work.  I use mine in a homemade case and it works fine.

The soldering required for the charging circuitry is very tiny.  I screwed up on mine, and I had significant soldering experience.  I ended up getting someone with a hot air setup to clean it all up and then it worked fine.  So, if you are not a skilled solder monkey, you might want to find another solution.

The battery does not last very long sitting on a shelf.  It lasts a while typing but the fact that it is keeping the keyboard active (waiting for you to turn on BT via a key shortcut) means that after a day or two sitting it will go dead.

I am happy to answer any questions you have.  I've also thought about selling mine, PM me if you want to discuss that.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline andersbaero

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 13:08:04 »

Yes, the BT module requires V2 PCB.  The battery requires a significant amount of space in the casing.  Basically it is too wide to go in between the "ribs" that are inside most 60% cases, so you will have to mill out about 5 inches of a "rib" to fit in the battery.

I tried an AL case and it did not work.  I don't think any metal case would work.  I use mine in a homemade case and it works fine.

The soldering required for the charging circuitry is very tiny.  I screwed up on mine, and I had significant soldering experience.  I ended up getting someone with a hot air setup to clean it all up and then it worked fine.  So, if you are not a skilled solder monkey, you might want to find another solution.

The battery does not last very long sitting on a shelf.  It lasts a while typing but the fact that it is keeping the keyboard active (waiting for you to turn on BT via a key shortcut) means that after a day or two sitting it will go dead.

I am happy to answer any questions you have.  I've also thought about selling mine, PM me if you want to discuss that.

PM'd.  :D

Offline andersbaero

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 11:53:34 »
UPDATE:

Recieved the PCB today, all is functional and working!
I also have ordered the rest of the parts I need, the final specs I've settled on are as follows:

PCB: GON NerD 60 V2 + Bluetooth Module.
Switches: Cherry Mx "Jailhouse" Blues with QMX Clips.
Case: Plastic 60% - But I'm looking for alu options that won't interrupt the bluetooth signal.
Keycaps: Custom print WASD, UV coated ABS.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 07:54:11 »

Maybe I misunderstood something in your post: what's the point of BT if it only lasts a day? It lasts a while only if you disable the BT each time you've finished using it?

Maybe that it would work for me, by keeping it plugged all the time, and using the BT to connect to my phone? In this case I could probably remove the battery altogether.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 January 2018, 07:58:00 by Giorgio »