Author Topic: Any reason to get a Filco over QFR?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline babyhands

Any reason to get a Filco over QFR?
« on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:09:01 »
Hey guys, so i have been trying out a bunch of switches lately, and I have discovered that I like browns the best. Now my plans for my next and final keyboard will be to get a TKL with costar stabilizers, put some hott PBT's on it, and a new sexy case. With that being said, is there a reason I should get filco over a QFR if i am changing the case? When people talk about build quality, normally arent they referring to the case and keycaps, which i am changing both, so if i changed the case and keycaps wouldn't the QFR and Filco be exactly the same?

Thanks!

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Any reason to get a Filco over QFR?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:13:57 »
I own both the keyboards and IMO they're the same to me. The only difference is that the filco can house the phantom PCB/plate(for now).

If you want to splurge get the filco if not, the cm
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:16:26 »
I echo what boost said.

Also, some of the aftermarket cases do not fit the QFR without modding.

I'd go with the QFR over a Filco for the price anyday.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:26:05 »
Technically the PCB on Filco is better.  It has double layer PCB (red) and QFR has single layer PCB (green), as to how much difference this makes then I'm not too sure.

Also depends on which case you're getting.  Since Filco's metal plate is a tiny tiny bit different than QFR.  If you plan to buy the Vortex Aluminum Case then Filco will fit better in it.

And another difference is that Filco has dedicated Num Lock/Caps Lock light, while QFR has the light on the switch.  Depend on which case you're getting it might or might not have holes for the Filco light.

Hope this helps  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline babyhands

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:33:54 »
Oh shoot, I was under the impression that both the QFR and Filco fit the same cases! So what kind of modding would I have to do with the QFR to get it to fit the filco cases? Are there other boards that would fit the cases better? Do people make metal cases for the QFR? Darn, I knew there were a good amount of cases for the filco, and i thought i could just buy a QFR and put one of those on it and same like 100$, but i guess this isnt the case?

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:37:53 »
Is the feel of the two really the same?
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:38:08 »
I have also used both side by side so may as well chime in here. I thought there was no obvious difference in quality between the two in normal use. I could not perfectly compare the two however, since they both had different switches (brown on my Filco, red on my team mate's QFR). There are two things you may want to take into account however.

-Lately there have been some quality issues with the QFR. I think it was like one bad batch or something. You may want to look into this (or someone else who knows more about it could comment on it)
-Depending on where you live, CM does not offer all the switches. I think here, in the "Benelux" they sell only red or black switches with an ISO layout. Which is exactly the reason why I opted for a Filco instead.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:40:07 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:42:34 »
Thanks for the insight. What kind of QC issues were they having?
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 14:10:54 »
I'm not into custom cases, but I think those meant for Filco should work with HPE or PLU keyboards.

Offline babyhands

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 14:17:40 »
I'm not into custom cases, but I think those meant for Filco should work with HPE or PLU keyboards.

HMMM, i was totally looking into those boards today haha. Can anyone comment on this? Will Filco boards fit HPE or PLU boards?! So is that the route I should take?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 14:30:29 »
If price is a big factor, go with CM quickfire. It's almost the same thing. The cases are different though, and they're not interchangeable. There is one standoff for the plate and one standoff for the PCB that is in a different location, so you can just take the guts of one and put it in the other's case. Here are some little differences if you care about the details:

CM quickfire
  • rubberized coat on the case, could be easier to scratch
  • detachable USB cable with break-out USB board on the inside
  • no screws holding down the PCB/plate assembly down to the bottom case, all done by pressure from top cover
  • single-sided PCB, solder pads only on the top layer
  • has media function layer
  • flip feet operation not as smooth
  • integrated LED for capslock and scroll lock
  • logo printed with the rubber coating on the back
  • slightly lower quality checking
  • lower costs
Filco
  • case is smooth ABS plastic
  • permanently attached USB cable coming out from case center
  • 2 screws holding down the PCB/plate assembly down to the bottom case
  • Higher quality PCB, soldering pads go through the holes and on both surfaces
  • no media function
  • flip feet smoother and more snappy
  • separate LED for the capslock and scroll lock
  • metalic 3D logo at the front on the right side
  • higher quality control, less chance of getting a defective one
  • higher costs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy1JgF4_UT0#t=25s
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 14:32:18 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 14:46:42 »
Thanks for the detailed comparison.

Offline drdoooom

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 15:11:34 »
If only my post count was just a bit higher. I have a few month old quick fire with unused the stock key caps. It's a great board but i dislike the blues.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 15:34:43 »
i have a qfr with blues and love it. however, I do kind of wish I got the filco, simply for the case options and higher quality pcb. but my qfr works perfectly.

however, if it ever breaks i am getting a Filco or phantom.

ahhhhhh i will just give the qfr to the old ball and chain and buy myself something new. muhahaha
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid