Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2780108 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #3400 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:41:30 »
Razor Standard

Welcome to Geekhack!

Any plans to upgrade?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Wolfseye

« Reply #3401 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:46:33 »
Any plans to upgrade?

By that meaning upgrade from a toy keyboard to a real keyboard. ;)

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX-Blue/Green LEDs) - Ducky Shine 3 (MX-Red/Pink LEDs) - Ducky Shine 4 (MX-Blue/Red&Blue LEDs) - CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX-Brown/White LEDs) - TTeSports Poseidon Z RGB (Kailh-Blue)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3402 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:53:01 »
Any plans to upgrade?

By that meaning upgrade from a toy keyboard to a real keyboard. ;)

:p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3403 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 14:49:00 »
For the first time ever, something other than a Model M--Logitech g710 with Cherry blues.  Definitely taking a bit to get used to although a typing test shows that I'm already about as fast as I am on the M.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3404 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 16:50:12 »
My Duck Octagon and Lightpad. Typical. :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3405 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 17:09:23 »
Razor Standard

Welcome to Geekhack!

Any plans to upgrade?

Isn't it Razer with an "e" as in "eww!".

:)) :)) :))

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3406 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 17:19:43 »
Razor Standard

Welcome to Geekhack!

Any plans to upgrade?

Isn't it Razer with an "e" as in "eww!".

:)) :)) :))

My first keyboard is razer tarantula + lighting, gaming level up by over 9000  :eek:

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline O(logn)

« Reply #3407 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:00:40 »
This keyboard is definitely worth it. I absolutely love how the 55g feels although I'm only comparing it to a piece of crap rubber dome. :p

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3408 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:02:15 »
I know I'm all about Topre and stuff but DAMN this 59g vintage blacks is SMOOOOOTH AS HELL. I can just glide through this thing and not have any fatigues whatsoever.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #3409 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:06:15 »
I know I'm all about Topre and stuff but DAMN this 59g vintage blacks is SMOOOOOTH AS HELL. I can just glide through this thing and not have any fatigues whatsoever.

Those are my two daily drivers right there:

HHKB lubed
QFR vintage blacks 55g at work. so slick

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3410 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:08:52 »

HHKB lubed

Cherry is love. Topre is life.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3411 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:12:09 »
Back on this potato. 

Everytime I come back to it, I am amazed at the quality of it.  Loving the WoB JTK set as well.  I finally have a set that CMYW matches, I was never happy with the white legends on non white legended sets.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #3412 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:14:13 »

HHKB lubed

This is now going to be my signature.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3413 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:15:42 »

HHKB lubed

I use 62g lubed vintage blacks in my Octagon and they are butter smooth and so fun to type on. :D

One my recent alps boards uses SKCL greens and they are equally as smooth... They're something else to type on!  :eek: 45g actuation and 50g bottom out.

Offline O(logn)

« Reply #3414 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:44:29 »

HHKB lubed

Is topre better than cherry? I want to try a cherry board but, don't really want to  buy one since I already have a realforce.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3415 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:50:50 »
Is topre better than cherry? I want to try a cherry board but, don't really want to  buy one since I already have a realforce.

They have their own pros. You have to type on them both extensively then you can tell the difference :)

Offline O(logn)

« Reply #3416 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:18:45 »

They have their own pros. You have to type on them both extensively then you can tell the difference :)

What pros are there for cherry? It seems some claim they feel cheap after using topre.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3417 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:24:08 »

What pros are there for cherry? It seems some claim they feel cheap after using topre.

I have only used lubed clears and lubed vintage blacks extensively so my comment is derived from those 2 switches.

The clears feels very close to Topre, with all the tactility and bumps very pronounced. Noise level is just right for me.

The blacks on the other hand is linear. The one I get in my Eagle is so buttery smooth I likened the experience to typing on 55g silenced & lubed Topre for the first time. IT IS THAT GOOD.

I have 67g tactile Zealios coming next on my TGR and that should be an enjoyable experience as well.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #3418 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:57:10 »
I've used the following:
MX reds
MX blues
MX browns
MX blacks
MX Clears
MX Ergo Clears (62g lubed)
vintage MX blacks

So basically most of all of them.

To me stock clears and vintage blacks are my favorite. Clears have a great tactile bump while blacks are smooth. If I could pick one of the two I would go with vintage blacks because of their super smooth feel. It's a nice contrast to have both tactile (topre) and linear (vintage mx blacks) boards.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3419 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 23:25:54 »
I've used the following:
MX reds
MX blues
MX browns
MX blacks
MX Clears
MX Ergo Clears (62g lubed)
vintage MX blacks

So basically most of all of them.

To me stock clears and vintage blacks are my favorite. Clears have a great tactile bump while blacks are smooth. If I could pick one of the two I would go with vintage blacks because of their super smooth feel. It's a nice contrast to have both tactile (topre) and linear (vintage mx blacks) boards.

*Sigh*

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #3420 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:02:21 »
Currently have HHKB Pro 2 (dental band modded) as my daily driver, but I joined the group buy on Massdrop for the RF 87U 55G. Before this, I had a DAS Pro 4 with Cherry blues. I don't think I can return to MX blues now that I have Topre... I wonder if there is a Cherry switch that I'll like better than Topre, both in sound and feel. I know for a fact that it's not blues, but there are so many variants.

Any suggestions?

Realforce 87U 55g             HHKB Pro 2 (dental band)

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3421 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:30:34 »
Pok3r with cherry POM blanks.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Wolfseye

« Reply #3422 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:34:24 »
I really love Blues and Reds. I don't care for others really.

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX-Blue/Green LEDs) - Ducky Shine 3 (MX-Red/Pink LEDs) - Ducky Shine 4 (MX-Blue/Red&Blue LEDs) - CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX-Brown/White LEDs) - TTeSports Poseidon Z RGB (Kailh-Blue)

Offline bastones

« Reply #3423 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:41:32 »

Using a new Max BlackBird TKL mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches. The other keyboard I have is a Filco Majestouch-2 TKL with Cherry MX Blue switches, so it's taking a bit of time to get accustomed to the Browns :P. It's so much quieter though, I am quite surprised how quiet they are compared to Cherry MX Blues - to the point I think with O rings I could possibly get away with using it at work!
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:46:49 by bastones »

Offline Wolfseye

« Reply #3424 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:51:03 »
I need the blue click to live. ^^ browns just don't get me excited.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3425 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 17:32:20 »
Rotated my boards! Now chillin' with my Hammer Time Alps Eagle 

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3426 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 17:34:01 »

Show Image

I can't believe you have two duck boards and I have none   :(
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3427 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 17:39:09 »

Show Image

I can't believe you have two duck boards and I have none   :(

I saw you throwing a line out for an Orion v2! Hey, you might have a pretty kickin' Duck board, man! This one of course is a Duck Eagle in a Hammer case ( like, my favorite 60% case design ever :-X). Have things ever progressed with trying to find an Eagle case? D:

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3428 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 17:47:37 »
I saw you throwing a line out for an Orion v2! Hey, you might have a pretty kickin' Duck board, man! This one of course is a Duck Eagle in a Hammer case ( like, my favorite 60% case design ever :-X). Have things ever progressed with trying to find an Eagle case? D:

Gave up on the eagle case and just built with a TEX, it's fine because I think I'm ok without under-lighting on this build anyways. The Orion pickings are pretty thin unfortunately, but I'm doing my best.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline bastones

« Reply #3429 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:49:48 »
I need the blue click to live. ^^ browns just don't get me excited.

I can't blame you, it did feel quite strange when I first started using my new Cherry MX Brown keyboard because of how quiet they are compared to Cherry MX Blues. You can't actually hear much when Browns actuate, compared to the metal click from the Blues.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3430 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 16:30:33 »
For the first time ever, a switch other than a BS board--a new Logitech g710 that I scored at Best Buy during their sale.  Definitely different, but I'm already up to my BS typing speed according to some tests.  But my hands seem to be fatiguing quickly, so this may end up for sale soon enough if my hands don't like it.

Offline Wolfseye

« Reply #3431 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 17:08:55 »
G710/G710+ are known to have keys breaking off very quickly. The Internet is full of these complaints. My suggestion, get rid of it as soon as possible.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3432 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 19:17:32 »
G710/G710+ are known to have keys breaking off very quickly. The Internet is full of these complaints. My suggestion, get rid of it as soon as possible.
I'm not gaming, so I have no idea if they're going to break under just normal usage.  Plus, it seems that I can even use a lighter touch and keep them from bottoming, but it's going to take some practice for sure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3433 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 03:59:25 »
Midweek so HHKB, plus drawer liner, to reduce the noise so I can keep posting after people have gone to bed.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3434 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:03:26 »
Slow work day, so almost exclusively on my HHKB right now:

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3435 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:13:59 »
Been dying to use my SSK again but still waiting for that damn converter from Techkeys to arrive.

I actually received the replacement controller from Maxx but I'm a bit lazy to open up my SSK, and the fact that I don't have the necessary tool yet. It's on its way as well.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3436 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 09:12:05 »
Been dying to use my SSK again but still waiting for that damn converter from Techkeys to arrive.

I actually received the replacement controller from Maxx but I'm a bit lazy to open up my SSK, and the fact that I don't have the necessary tool yet. It's on its way as well.

Is there a Lowes nearby?  You can get a 5.5mm deep socket there. 

Offline maskey

« Reply #3437 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 09:38:17 »

CM Quickfire Rapid (Blues). I'm using some modifiers from my brother's POK3R (He received extra). The caps are the cheapo Vortex PBT caps that show up on Massdrop frequently. I like them!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3438 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 10:12:40 »

Thank you for posting this!  I was wondering where I could find a socket that will fit since the case is so narrow.

Is the 5.5mm the same as a 'normal' bit size for a cordless screwdriver?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3439 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 10:19:52 »

Thank you for posting this!  I was wondering where I could find a socket that will fit since the case is so narrow.

It is a standard 1/4" socket.  You will need an adapter to the socket, if you don't already have one.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3440 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 10:31:49 »

It is a standard 1/4" socket.  You will need an adapter to the socket, if you don't already have one.

Gotcha.  Actually what I was asking if the 5.5mm part of that bit is the same size as opposite end on the dewalt 1/4" adapter you posted.  If so, then I might have a driver that is already 5.5mm. :)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3441 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 10:41:18 »

Gotcha.  Actually what I was asking if the 5.5mm part of that bit is the same size as opposite end on the dewalt 1/4" adapter you posted.  If so, then I might have a driver that is already 5.5mm. :)

It is a deep narrow socket.  If you look closely at the socket, it is tapered.  That is so it will fit inside the deep impression to get to the screw.  If you try using a "standard" deep socket, it won't fit.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #3442 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 11:33:22 »
Slow work day, so almost exclusively on my HHKB right now

These look like Round 5. How did you get MX mount on there? Will the sliders from e.g. a Novatouch work on this board?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #3443 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 11:42:53 »
HHKB today! <3

Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3444 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 12:02:52 »
Slow work day, so almost exclusively on my HHKB right now

These look like Round 5. How did you get MX mount on there? Will the sliders from e.g. a Novatouch work on this board?

They are indeed Novatouch sliders. I had to drill for the shift and enter sliders. If you don't want to drill, the JTK sliders don't require it, once CtrlAlt puts them up for sale.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #3445 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 12:43:49 »

It is a deep narrow socket.  If you look closely at the socket, it is tapered.  That is so it will fit inside the deep impression to get to the screw.  If you try using a "standard" deep socket, it won't fit.

If time isn't an issue you could always pick one up on ebay, works great! The one I bought took two weeks to arrive, can't beat $1.92 for a 5.5mm driver.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3446 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:13:11 »

If time isn't an issue you could always pick one up on ebay, works great! The one I bought took two weeks to arrive, can't beat $1.92 for a 5.5mm driver.

I guess so.  But for $2.97 for a true deep socket that you can use right off the bat with no adapters at all, and no waiting for it to ship...  Plus a lifetime warranty...
It's a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:24:06 by Snowdog993 »

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #3447 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:22:56 »
I guess so.  But for $2.97 for a true deep socket that you can use right off the bat with no adapters at all, and no waiting for it to ship...  Plus a lifetime warranty...
It's a no-brainer.

Crap, I had no idea it was $2.97 :eek: A couple months ago when I was looking all of the drivers I found were like $10+ haha

For that price, lowes socket any day.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3448 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:32:59 »

So I have one of these that can plug into that dewalt adapter, but if that size is also 5.5mm, then I can use the driver directly.  So what I was asking is if that other end of the dewalt is also 5.5mm?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3449 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 21:32:12 »

So I have one of these that can plug into that dewalt adapter, but if that size is also 5.5mm, then I can use the driver directly.  So what I was asking is if that other end of the dewalt is also 5.5mm?
Show Image

What are you talking about?  You have a 5.5mm driver and you want to know the difference?  BIG difference to that one.  You put that thing in the socket, and you will tear up the socket with that animal.
The socket I showed WILL work properly and you won't have that problem at all.