Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2779920 times)

Offline E3E

Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #3550 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 06:43:51 »

Show Image

A friend of mine bought it for me for helping him move a couple of years ago, before I rediscovered buckling springs. I like to get it out and use it every now and then. It's like taking a bite of ginger to clear your palate between sushi courses.

It's also fun wondering if some of the more rarified boards being shown here, as impressive as they are, are really worth, like, 10 times as much dough.  :?)

I straight up eat the ginger with everything, maybe BS could be my jam.

Dude its a course of its own when I get sushi

****s's delicious

Yo, yo! Who's talkin' about sushi up in here!?

Mmmmman, I'm getting howngry. :(

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #3551 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 06:55:06 »

Show Image

A friend of mine bought it for me for helping him move a couple of years ago, before I rediscovered buckling springs. I like to get it out and use it every now and then. It's like taking a bite of ginger to clear your palate between sushi courses.

It's also fun wondering if some of the more rarified boards being shown here, as impressive as they are, are really worth, like, 10 times as much dough.  :?)

I straight up eat the ginger with everything, maybe BS could be my jam.

Dude its a course of its own when I get sushi

****s's delicious

I hear ya man, 2 plates of sushi, 2 pots of ginger, but the ginger is free ;)

Place near where I live has the best lunch special... think I might go tomorrow

Extra ginger plz

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3552 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 07:17:57 »
I've always preferred Mary Ann, actually.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline E3E

« Reply #3553 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:20:52 »
Decided to take out the old Infinity that gave me mild RSI that I'm still healing from! Mind you, I was typing in bed like a lazyass with terrible form, so ya know. It happens. I don't blame you, Infinity.

Since I had to pick some of its caps to use on my second Eagle PCB, I decided to just strip them all off and put on the AEK caps.

In another controversial use, much like my hypothesis of hotswapping (solderless) Alps switches being viable in a stock Infinity (which, by the way, is still true. These STILL work fine and I'm not using solder)...

I'm using the Shift and Enter keys without stabs, and they seem just fine! I think the mounts for the Alps stabs actually ride down the Costar stab guides and give it some pretty decent stabilization! I had to remove the wire in order for the cap to clear, but they feel just fine!

EDIT: Just wanted to add a silly picture. :3

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2015, 10:39:02 by E3E »

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3554 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:00:05 »
I'm using the Shift and Enter keys without stabs, and they seem just fine! I think the mounts for the Alps stabs actually ride down the Costar stab guides and give it some pretty decent stabilization! I had to remove the wire in order for the cap to clear, but they feel just fine!

Don't recall hearing many people complain about Topre not having stabs for Shift and Enter - but then Topre stems are a bit more stable than MX. How's Alps for stability? Been a number of years since I've used an Alps board. Could explain why the Shift and Enter keys feel just fine :)

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline E3E

« Reply #3555 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 18:15:34 »

Don't recall hearing many people complain about Topre not having stabs for Shift and Enter - but then Topre stems are a bit more stable than MX. How's Alps for stability? Been a number of years since I've used an Alps board. Could explain why the Shift and Enter keys feel just fine :)

Oh, I didn't know those weren't stabilized on Topre boards! I think that because the stab mounting positions on these AEK caps just so happen to line up perfectly with the guides on the costar stabs, it gives them a lot more stability than if they were simply used with traditional Alps stabs. The main issue I see is binding if a non-stabilized long key is pressed on the edge. There's a bit of wobble as well, but not nearly as bad as Cherry, IME.

With what I'm using, there's no binding, and the key is pretty stable and there's no wobble that I can detect. It's not exactly AS smooth as a key using stabilizer wire since it doesn't evenly distribute the pressure put on the cap, but it's pretty seamless for me!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3556 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:13:23 »

Show Image

These were quite nice back in the day as an alternative to a clicking keyboard.  We actually spec'd one for our 486 build back in the day and still have it.  Somewhere along the way we also got a newer version of it and it seems the keys have less wobble and a little more crispness.  Keytronic must still be doing something right as they're still around and still making and selling boards.

Mmmm...sushi.  Oh how I long for you now.

That does it.  When I get back to the states, I'm headed straight from the airport to Kiku in downtown since they're open until 2am every day of the week. 

Offline r0yal

« Reply #3557 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 16:04:06 »
Yaaaaaay, I got my WASD V2! The MX Blacks feel amazing.
ISO-DE Model M "Granny Smith"

Offline Vectrex720

• Hidey ho
« Reply #3558 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 16:28:10 »
Pok3r W/ MX Blues

Northgate Omnikey 102 (x3) | IBM Model M | IBM Pingmaster

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3559 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 16:29:32 »
SPRiT PCB/LeandreN Plate/Zealios 67G Tactile switches/Round 5 Caps/Hammer Case/Techmattr Cable.

Had to settle. Left my Topre at home  :mad:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3560 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 17:44:05 »
SPRiT PCB/LeandreN Plate/Zealios 67G Tactile switches/Round 5 Caps/Hammer Case/Techmattr Cable.

Sounds like an amazing board to me, no need for all that topre bs. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3561 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 17:57:39 »
White Pok3r w/ Ducky White/Pink & MX Clear
WASD V2 w/ DSA Dolch & MX Brown

I'm a basic *****. Rotating because clears are too hard and browns are too light.

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #3562 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 20:00:47 »
Pok3r!

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #3563 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 20:22:08 »
HHKB Pro 2. Topre <3

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3564 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 20:24:38 »
Accompanying my wife on her paternity leave and there's no better keyboard to bring than the lovely HHKB.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3565 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 20:39:12 »
The 60% board I built up today on a NerD 60 PCB with 85g MX blues. Still playing around with function layers to get what I want out of it, but I think I found a layout I'm happy with.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3566 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:09:33 »
The 60% board I built up today on a NerD 60 PCB with 85g MX blues. Still playing around with function layers to get what I want out of it, but I think I found a layout I'm happy with.

85g seems like pretty heavy springs, how are you liking them in the MX blues?

Offline E3E

« Reply #3567 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 02:43:59 »

Using my Monterey K101 with Alps SKCM blue switches for now. They're the lightest blue Alps I've ever tried, which is just crazy. Literally, these feel lighter than any of the blue Alps boards I've used in the past, and I've had three before this.

Super nice! The build quality on the K101 might be questionable compared to some, but these switches make it easy to turn a blind eye. Plus. I love how it looks.

It could always be a placebo though, so don't read into this too deeply, haha.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2015, 02:50:56 by E3E »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3568 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 04:31:54 »
SSK (while I can get away with it!)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3569 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 08:37:46 »

Sounds like an amazing board to me, no need for all that topre bs.
Pshhhh. No way =p

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3570 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:41:03 »
Back to an M back at home.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3571 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:42:29 »

Pshhhh. No way =p

I fear buying a topre board since I have so much invested into all my mx ones. Currently typing on Orion v2 with 62g Purple Zealios and don't see how it can get much better than this.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #3572 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:44:55 »

Pshhhh. No way =p

I fear buying a topre board since I have so much invested into all my mx ones. Currently typing on Orion v2 with 62g Purple Zealios and don't see how it can get much better than this.

I have a B Mini with vintage blacks... Picked up an HHKB, and I pretty much stopped touching the B Mini. Thinking of liquidating what Cherry I have and going full Topre. It's as good as everyone says

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3573 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 11:51:47 »

Pshhhh. No way =p

I have a B Mini with vintage blacks... Picked up an HHKB, and I pretty much stopped touching the B Mini. Thinking of liquidating what Cherry I have and going full Topre. It's as good as everyone says

I like the ability of customizing all my switches whether it's the spring weight, tactility or linear, LEDs, etc. Topre boards just seem too boring to me. I wouldn't mind an HHKB for travel but I don't like 60% for my daily and much prefer to have a full aluminum board to type on as well. Another thing that Topre lacks in is the layout customization, 96% is by far my favorite layout.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3574 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 16:57:02 »

Pshhhh. No way =p

I like the ability of customizing all my switches whether it's the spring weight, tactility or linear, LEDs, etc. Topre boards just seem too boring to me. I wouldn't mind an HHKB for travel but I don't like 60% for my daily and much prefer to have a full aluminum board to type on as well. Another thing that Topre lacks in is the layout customization, 96% is by far my favorite layout.

Can you get LEDs on Topre boards?  I don't care much one way or another but LEDs can make certain artisans and certain keysets look amazing and I don't think I remember ever seeing an LED backlit Topre board.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3575 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 17:16:40 »

Pshhhh. No way =p

Can you get LEDs on Topre boards?  I don't care much one way or another but LEDs can make certain artisans and certain keysets look amazing and I don't think I remember ever seeing an LED backlit Topre board.

There isn't any LED backlit topre boards to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure there may be one or two but probably not of good quality and a reputable brand like Realforce or HHKB.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3576 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 18:00:30 »

I find clicky switches feel lighter than a tactile switch with the same springs. Same with tactile vs linear.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3577 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 20:29:09 »

I find clicky switches feel lighter than a tactile switch with the same springs. Same with tactile vs linear.

Are 85g springs roughly comparable to Greens?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3578 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 20:31:10 »

Are 85g springs roughly comparable to Greens?
Mx green are like 80g to actuate
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #3579 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 20:34:42 »
For now im on a Func KB460 with blues. But as soon as my GH satan PCB ( was going to get a sprit but the last one sold out right as i was going to purchase it from mk.com ) im going to be putting together my 60% board with a pok3r 3 case, a LeandreN orange plate, and MX Clears with some PBT Geek key keycap's.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #3580 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 20:37:04 »
Currently? A Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 V1 as a temporary replacement while modding my keyboards.

I somehow managed to remove way too many pads on my Pok3r while desoldering the Cherry MX Green switches to replace with Zealio Purple 67g switches. Then I messed up even more when I realised that part of the iron was touching the switches and ended up melting 3 Zealios. ugh. Also had to order PCB mount stabilizers for the aluminum plate that I got on Massdrop.

The other is the Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja that ive been progressively modding.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3581 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 20:54:26 »
NOT MY KMAC ANYMORE WOOO
I love Elzy

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3582 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 23:23:29 »
NOT MY KMAC ANYMORE WOOO

I would've killed for that kmac... :(

I still have yet to get a red board.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3583 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 23:47:48 »
I've just been practising on boards enough to get over 150 wpm to make a typing video then retiring them for another few months until I get bored again. Last one to do is the GON then I'll try for 170 on the LZ
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3584 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 03:29:00 »

Pshhhh. No way =p

There isn't any LED backlit topre boards to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure there may be one or two but probably not of good quality and a reputable brand like Realforce or HHKB.

https://www.keychatter.com/2015/03/12/review-royal-kludge-rc930-87-rgb/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3585 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:03:13 »

I figured there had to be at least one, doesn't look that very good but the price is what makes it interesting. It seems like a cheaper version of the Novatouch.

Taken from the review:
"It ain’t Topre, so don’t set yourself up for disappointment by hoping it will be, but switches aside, where else can you get RGB backlighting and full programmability for $100?"

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3586 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:40:03 »

I figured there had to be at least one, doesn't look that very good but the price is what makes it interesting. It seems like a cheaper version of the Novatouch.

Taken from the review:
"It ain’t Topre, so don’t set yourself up for disappointment by hoping it will be, but switches aside, where else can you get RGB backlighting and full programmability for $100?"

I might recommend this to a friend who was looking for a RGB board but wanted quiet switches and a standard layout.  This is a helluva lot cheaper than a K70 RGB or DS5 RGB and might be a decent option for him.  Good lookin' out rowdy and Steezus!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3587 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 14:05:24 »
type s

OH WAIT NO **** U USPS WHERE IS MY **** *****ES
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3588 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 16:19:48 »

Pshhhh. No way =p

Not yet, Type Heaven has an RGB in the works though.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3589 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 16:23:51 »
type s

type s(ucker)

legit still dont get the hype. sound is def not worth the price. hhkb is just fine IMO.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3590 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 16:30:21 »
type s

type s(ucker)

legit still dont get the hype. sound is def not worth the price. hhkb is just fine IMO.

Why did you get it?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3591 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 16:37:14 »
type s

type s(ucker)

Why did you get it?

cheap

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3592 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 16:40:04 »
type s

type s(ucker)

Why did you get it?

cheap

o

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #3593 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 16:48:03 »

WELCOME

HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #3595 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:03:55 »
I have a Logitech G19 atm (for 4 years, I know!) Waiting on my Ducky Shine 5. My first Mk!
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline OTD

« Reply #3596 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:08:14 »
hhkb type s black.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3597 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:14:26 »
I have a Logitech G19 atm (for 4 years, I know!) Waiting on my Ducky Shine 5. My first Mk!
Get HHKB Bro you will not regret it  :thumb:

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #3598 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:17:10 »
Get HHKB Bro you will not regret it  :thumb:
I invested in a shine5 and a whitefox.  If i am okay with the layout maybe in a year
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3599 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 09:10:32 »
Congrats!  Once you go mech, you'll never go back!