Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2780096 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #3700 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 13:55:46 »
Gave Race II to a co worker because it looked out of place at home with the rest of the customs... I'm glad it's not collecting dust anymore. So that's what he's using :P

I using LSV2 !
I love Elzy

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3701 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:44:23 »
You haven't even tried out your NIB SSK?  This saddens me.
Yeah I realize this saddened me too, so I'm going to connect it to one of the laptops that never go anywhere as its 'mini-M'.  :thumb:
I got one of the NIB SSKs from Cindy at the end of 2014 and I sat on it for a couple of months wondering whether I should wait until the next price spike and sell it for a big profit. Eventually I opened it and found 29 broken rivets, including 17 at the left end alone.
Oh, that's the first thing I checked and there were two little black discs that fell out, but nothing major.  The key feel was on par too with the other Ms I have.  It just slipped my mind to actually connect to a computer and try it--I think I was still in shock with what was in my hands.  :cool:

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #3702 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:10:36 »
silenced Realforce 55g.  I modded it with Hypersphere's rings and then lube but I"m seriously afraid I might have to sell it due to the actuation force required. Fatigue starts setting in early...

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3703 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:31:28 »
silenced Realforce 55g.  I modded it with Hypersphere's rings and then lube but I"m seriously afraid I might have to sell it due to the actuation force required. Fatigue starts setting in early...

If you're still getting used to the switches, give it another week or two, most people find 55g too heavy in the beginning but develop a sort of tolerance for them after some use.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #3704 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:51:52 »

If you're still getting used to the switches, give it another week or two, most people find 55g too heavy in the beginning but develop a sort of tolerance for them after some use.

yep, definitely giving it some time. I was sort of hoping the lube would reduce friction enough to reduce keypress force but it feels the same. It's pretty damned silent though so the combination is pretty good.

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #3705 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:58:52 »

yep, definitely giving it some time. I was sort of hoping the lube would reduce friction enough to reduce keypress force but it feels the same. It's pretty damned silent though so the combination is pretty good.

How notable would you say the difference in keytravel is with those rings? I read that it's minimal, but I silenced my HHKB with very thin dental bands, which get even thinner as they are stretched to fit around the slider, but I can notice the difference in keytravel enough that I'm going to try and make my own rings of even thinner fabric.

Also, I'm not feeling any fatigue using my RF87U 55g as of yet and I'm pretty light handed. I've had it for a week now and I'm loving it. Best feeling keyboard I've ever typed on. I even managed to somehow score a PR on 10fastfingers with it the other day.

Maybe you're just not used to the force needed to actuate a key and you're pressing every key too hard, using more energy than is required?

Realforce 87U 55g             HHKB Pro 2 (dental band)

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #3706 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 18:21:32 »

How notable would you say the difference in keytravel is with those rings? I read that it's minimal, but I silenced my HHKB with very thin dental bands, which get even thinner as they are stretched to fit around the slider, but I can notice the difference in keytravel enough that I'm going to try and make my own rings of even thinner fabric.

Also, I'm not feeling any fatigue using my RF87U 55g as of yet and I'm pretty light handed. I've had it for a week now and I'm loving it. Best feeling keyboard I've ever typed on. I even managed to somehow score a PR on 10fastfingers with it the other day.

Maybe you're just not used to the force needed to actuate a key and you're pressing every key too hard, using more energy than is required?

Hrmm...I'm pretty sure most dental bands are relatively thick and will certainly affect the key travel. Since most of the force required in actuating topre switch is at the very beginning (top) of the key, the actuation force with band is less, since the spring is probably depressed by default. I would say that Hypersphere's rings have a minimal effect on key travel but just how much I can't quantify. The keypresses feel similar to un-modded ones.

True, I think there is a learning curve here. The last time I used a switch heavier than 45g regularly was maybe 6 months ago on a MX blue board. Since then, I've mostly used HHKB everywhere, especially at work. I will give it some time but even so, I have suffered episodes of constant wrist and arm pain before on my left arm so I don't want to galvanize anything.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3707 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:19:54 »

man up. actually nah, sell it. you don't deserve it by lubing it and putting retarded rings on it. 55g is godly stock. you ruined it.

also im using a type s.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:21:32 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3708 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:24:17 »
In accordance with demik's gospel, still using a HHKB now. It's been 16 days straight. Kinda miss my buttery smooth MX...
Please feed my addiction.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3709 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:24:30 »

man up. actually nah, sell it. you don't deserve it by lubing it and putting retarded rings on it. 55g is godly stock. you ruined it.

also im using a type s.

GH by-law violation penal code 3249880.983abc

Thou shall not add rings or lube or attempt to silence the perfect 55g cupped rubber.

GH by-law violation penal code 298034.983bca

Thou shall not lube Alps switches

Offline ictoys

« Reply #3710 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 02:24:30 »
ok, so maybe HHKB is a little out of my budget atm, is there an alternative 60% keyboard with topre switches?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3711 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 02:28:46 »
ok, so maybe HHKB is a little out of my budget atm, is there an alternative 60% keyboard with topre switches?
fc660c but hhkb is better in my opinion  :thumb:

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #3712 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 03:13:49 »

bocahgundul is correct in saying the FC660C is an alternative to the HHKB, but it's pretty much the same price new, so your best bet is to test your luck in the classifieds for either board if you're trying to stay in a particular price range. The FC usually goes for much less secondhand.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3714 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 04:04:47 »

bocahgundul is correct in saying the FC660C is an alternative to the HHKB, but it's pretty much the same price new, so your best bet is to test your luck in the classifieds for either board if you're trying to stay in a particular price range. The FC usually goes for much less secondhand.
yep but I suggest you try it first for me the fc660c feels smoother and less tactile whether the hhkb feels more tactile and slightly not so smooth

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #3715 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 06:25:39 »

also im using a type s.

ahah You may be right. But I had to silence it because I'm using it at work.  :)

Offline ictoys

« Reply #3716 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 07:34:10 »

yeah I've read about fc660c, checked amazon and the two had similar price, might as well go with HHKB :/ exchange rate is killing it though. @bocahgundul you know where to get HHKB in indo? (I assume you are in indo)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #3717 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:07:42 »
KBT Pure Pro with reds!
too bad these cherry stabilizers on return and shift are totally crap. and 1U backspace, sigh.
and i still wanna mod these reds with lube, different springs, and dampen the upstroke. but yeah, no soldering gear.

fun keyboard though, great build quality!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline gain

« Reply #3718 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:48:58 »
getting comfy with the HHKB JP Pro Type-S and a Realforce 23U

Part of me wants to swap out the HHKB with something more 65% to TKL size but the sound and feel of the type-s is giving me a bad case of attachment.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3719 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:55:56 »
Duck Eagle w/ Clears, sooooo smooth.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3720 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 09:17:47 »

did you already get the eagle? nice!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3721 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 09:33:49 »

It came last night but my mini USB cable was at work.  I'll try and throw some pictures up later.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #3722 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 09:45:38 »
RC-930

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3723 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:52:04 »

It came last night but my mini USB cable was at work.  I'll try and throw some pictures up later.

k, these are the same ones I posted in the Giveaway thread and will have to do until I can try to get some better pics.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3724 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:57:58 »
GH60INO (In Name Only) Aka Satan GH60, Red IMSTO Plate, Grey MKC Case, Gateron Brown Switches, Lube, Originative 67g Springs, Vortex Thick PBT Double-shot Back-lit caps (hate the font, love the caps)

currently building I:C Infinity ErgoDox with same switch mod, likely to use that as my primary for awhile

i own a lot of ****ing keyboards. ****

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #3725 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:29:27 »
MX Clears. Waiting on some 55g springs   :)

sry por bad pic

123296-0

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3726 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:45:05 »
Spent a week on the Jane, back to the Orion v2 now. Every time I come back to the Orion I just fall in love with the Zealios, tactility all the way. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3727 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:54:19 »
Novatouch, silenced, Cherry POM, Alu case.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Altis

« Reply #3728 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 20:56:00 »
Been testing out a Keytrak with Blue Alps.

It's weird not having the navigation cluster but instead the numpad. I've been using the numpad with NumLock off to navigate, which actually works alright once you get used to it.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #3729 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 00:52:08 »

k, these are the same ones I posted in the Giveaway thread and will have to do until I can try to get some better pics.
Are those keycaps enjoyPBT?
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3730 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:12:49 »

yeah I've read about fc660c, checked amazon and the two had similar price, might as well go with HHKB :/ exchange rate is killing it though. @bocahgundul you know where to get HHKB in indo? (I assume you are in indo)
Wow you're from Indo too eh? I might want to sell my heavy modded hhkb tho for indonesian I will sell with a discounted price hehe

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3731 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:13:37 »

Thats a BSP caps IIRC from demik giveaway

Are those keycaps enjoyPBT?
That is BSP keycaps IIRC from demik giveaway
edit : sorry for 2 post  :'(
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:20:17 by bocahgundul »

Offline wockytocky

« Reply #3732 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 19:30:38 »
Infinity with mx browns :D I've gone through nearly every type of switch and form factor I can think of and I can confidently say this is my endgame

Offline axtran

« Reply #3733 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:00:41 »
Been testing out a Keytrak with Blue Alps.

It's weird not having the navigation cluster but instead the numpad. I've been using the numpad with NumLock off to navigate, which actually works alright once you get used to it.

You're the one who bought that one that was on eBay? Nice! Is it really almost-new like it seemed?
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3734 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:19:33 »
I'm using this thing for a few days.  Having a little fun with a little change.

I like it.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3735 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 05:52:54 »

Crappy image, but this is what I'm using. It's my daily now; it even dethroned my Octagon as king. It's crazy how much I love this keyboard! ^-^

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #3736 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 06:37:13 »
Pok3r Mx Blues
"All is Well"

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3737 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:19:12 »
Show Image

Crappy image, but this is what I'm using. It's my daily now; it even dethroned my Octagon as king. It's crazy how much I love this keyboard! ^-^

Show Image

Show Image

What numpad is that?  Oh, and the board is pretty sexy as well, what switches do you have in it?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3738 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 11:21:42 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What numpad is that?  Oh, and the board is pretty sexy as well, what switches do you have in it?

It's a  Lightpad made by Duck.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3739 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 11:11:38 »

Using my newly restored Leading Edge DC-3014 (blue Alps) w/ Dell AT101 PBT caps (since as much as I love my AT101, I don't really care to use it, so I put the LE caps on the AT101 after I retrobrighted them)

This is how the LE looked before I retrobrighted it:

I also swapped the logo and cable from my DC-2014 onto this one, the DC-3014, because the logo was fading after I retrobrighted the case and the cable was just too warped.

They say tight coils can be made if you first wrap in one direction and then do so in the opposite direction, but I didn't want to bother. Anyone know the secret to really tight coils? I used heat n the DC-3014 coils, but they still weren't all that tight.

The AT101 has to have the sexiest cable I have ever seen by the way, haha:

Mega long coils, mmph. Such good condition too!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yep, as Steezus said, it's a Duck Lightpad, which can take both MX and Alps (getting a custom plate made for it soon so I can convert it to hotswap Alps like I have done in my Hammer; it should be much easier to do, too!). 

The main board is my "Hammer Alps" keyboard, the backlit hotswappable Duck Eagle w/ green Alps that I built! It uses some mint green Alps switches that are just dreamy to type on. I want to say I like it even more than blue Alps.

With the carbon fiber plate, sorbothane dampening, and heavy case, it's just <3.

I could, of course, always switch swap into blues or something else, but I think I'm going to keep this one as is. My OTHER Duck Eagle PCB that has the same treatment will probably use blue Alps w/ brown linear Alps for mods (both switches actuate at 65g).
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 11:16:51 by E3E »

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #3740 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 11:43:16 »
Show Image

Using my newly restored Leading Edge DC-3014 (blue Alps) w/ Dell AT101 PBT caps (since as much as I love my AT101, I don't really care to use it, so I put the LE caps on the AT101 after I retrobrighted them)

This is how the LE looked before I retrobrighted it:

Show Image

I also swapped the logo and cable from my DC-2014 onto this one, the DC-3014, because the logo was fading after I retrobrighted the case and the cable was just too warped.

They say tight coils can be made if you first wrap in one direction and then do so in the opposite direction, but I didn't want to bother. Anyone know the secret to really tight coils? I used heat n the DC-3014 coils, but they still weren't all that tight.

The AT101 has to have the sexiest cable I have ever seen by the way, haha:

Show Image

Mega long coils, mmph. Such good condition too!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yep, as Steezus said, it's a Duck Lightpad, which can take both MX and Alps (getting a custom plate made for it soon so I can convert it to hotswap Alps like I have done in my Hammer; it should be much easier to do, too!). 

The main board is my "Hammer Alps" keyboard, the backlit hotswappable Duck Eagle w/ green Alps that I built! It uses some mint green Alps switches that are just dreamy to type on. I want to say I like it even more than blue Alps.

With the carbon fiber plate, sorbothane dampening, and heavy case, it's just <3.

I could, of course, always switch swap into blues or something else, but I think I'm going to keep this one as is. My OTHER Duck Eagle PCB that has the same treatment will probably use blue Alps w/ brown linear Alps for mods (both switches actuate at 65g).

Wow that retrobrighted really well! What mix did you use? I never had much luck in restoring the boards to full-white color, it was mostly very bright beige at best.

I've got a bunch of custom-ish Topre boards sitting around my place, yet for some reason I took the hotswappable board with me for winter holiday travels. Never again. But at least I managed to swap in Zealios and try Jukebox caps which is nice.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3741 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:10:44 »
Keycool 87 with Kailh Reds and PBT Keycaps.

Linear switches are not as nice to type on, I miss my MX Blues. I'm buying a vintage ALPS keyboard off of Ebay soon, but I'm not sure if its worth paying $25 more for legitimate alps or buying a cheaper board in better condition that uses some type of clone (Simplified Alps Type III, alps.tw Type OA2, or alps.tw Type T1,

My old keyboard before this was an old Razer Blackwidow which had real MX Blues. I have completely disassembled it and plan to throw it out.

Offline patachu

• Personal Text
    • nowhere incoming
« Reply #3742 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 19:14:30 »
Finally received my HP C1405A, ordered from... the author of a technical book regarding tablets, mobile phones, wireless data and internet stuff, except he wrote it in 1992, and certainly on this keyboard, so it kind of gives me the feels typing on it.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #3743 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:25:28 »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #3747 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 03:25:56 »
TKL WASD v2 with Cherry MX Greens, o-rings and the Originative Carbon Black keyset. Picked it up at WASD when I was in San Francisco last year. Seriously in love with the feel of greens + o-rings. I love the heavier keys, but I am a heavy typer.

Before that I had a Ducky Shine 3 with blues but I felt like I made a lot of typos on that board.
pls gief bbv2

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3748 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 06:22:34 »
Keycool 87 with Kailh Reds and PBT Keycaps.

Linear switches are not as nice to type on, I miss my MX Blues.
Funny. I used an Ozone Strike Pro w/ MX Blue last night, any my speed dropped significantly (~15 %), because I made so many typos, usually caused by not overcoming the sticky bump.

It's great that I'm back at my good old Noppoo Choc Mini w/ MX Red now.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #3749 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:27:54 »
Compact SQ-1800 Aluminum Skin, Steel Plate
JTK BoW (Stormtrooper)
Gateron Blacks (In switch sip sockets)
More
DSC_0221 by Kiran Rochon, on Flickr