geekhack Community > Keyboards

New Model F with 104 Layout - Yay!

<< < (3/8) > >>

clay:
Has anyone purchased the ultra compact F104 or FSSK already? I'm contemplating buying one for 3 months already. I just want to make sure that it actually feels good and is built well. 450 usd is no joke and I live far from the US

Ellipse:
There are many reviews on the new Model F keyboards clay.  The new models are built with the same materials and standards (steel plates, metal case) as the 4,000 F62 and F77 keyboards that have shipped since 2019. 

PC World did a review on the compact F104 here:  https://www.pcworld.com/article/1928356/model-f-ultra-compact-keyboard-review.html

Various reviews are gathered on this page:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/press/

Mandan:

--- Quote from: Pretendo on Fri, 28 April 2023, 11:39:09 ---Oh yes, they are pricey for computer keyboards.

--- End quote ---

An 84-key F/AT keyboard cost the the equivalent of $670 2023 dollars.  IBM had a separate SKU if you wanted just the keyboard without the computer.  And IBM amortized that $670 across multiple product lines and hundreds of thousands of sales, saving them a bunch of money compared to small-batch boutique production.

$420+options doesn't seem all that expensive, considering.

clay:

--- Quote from: Mandan on Sun, 16 July 2023, 18:59:36 ---
--- Quote from: Pretendo on Fri, 28 April 2023, 11:39:09 ---Oh yes, they are pricey for computer keyboards.

--- End quote ---

An 84-key F/AT keyboard cost the the equivalent of $670 2023 dollars.  IBM had a separate SKU if you wanted just the keyboard without the computer.  And IBM amortized that $670 across multiple product lines and hundreds of thousands of sales, saving them a bunch of money compared to small-batch boutique production.

$420+options doesn't seem all that expensive, considering.

--- End quote ---

I am so close to sending an order :thumb:

Tempest790:
I went ahead and ordered my full 104 Model F keyboard. I went with the classic case since it slopes with the keys unlike the compact version. I didn't bother with the solenoid, since I love the Model F's original sound anyway. Looks like a lot of work putting these keyboards together from what I saw in the tutorial videos. I figure this is a long-term investment though.

104 classic Model F keyboard
Standard printed keycaps
Repair kit
LED overlay
1/2 inch dome bumpers
Key cap puller

Total: $492

Supposedly shipping by the end of the year, so we'll see when it comes in. Ouch, it's expensive, but should be the last keyboard I'd buy. I already have my two Topre keyboards for my daily drivers so this will fill my typing only niche.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version