geekhack Community > Keyboards

New Model F with 104 Layout - Yay!

<< < (4/8) > >>

Entropia:
Are you my clone? That's exactly what I thought: the classic model looks perfect because of the natural slope that follow the curvature of the keys. I think I would order the model in industrial gray, so that it doesn't look like a normal Model M. Also, that's what I would order: the keyboard with the standard keys (USA ANSI), the repair kit and the traditional overlay. And to finish, I also have two keyboards with Topre (Leopolds) as my daily drivers (one at home, one at work). Owning a Model F with the Model M layout is like a dream. Moreover, it's so different to Topre!

Rhienfo:

--- Quote from: Entropia on Fri, 28 July 2023, 10:59:27 ---Are you my clone? That's exactly what I thought: the classic model looks perfect because of the natural slope that follow the curvature of the keys. I think I would order the model in industrial gray, so that it doesn't look like a normal Model M. Also, that's what I would order: the keyboard with the standard keys (USA ANSI), the repair kit and the traditional overlay. And to finish, I also have two keyboards with Topre (Leopolds) as my daily drivers (one at home, one at work). Owning a Model F with the Model M layout is like a dream. Moreover, it's so different to Topre!

--- End quote ---

The slope on the classic model m's is such a genius design feature. It allows for a lot of customization when it comes to layouts, you can freely swap out the keys in different rows, without it affecting the typing feel of the different profiles  (of course there is touch typing but if you don't it's a godsend)

I remember there was I project I saw recently that did the same to make the dsa keycaps have a curve but I think that project will never happen anymore as there are no updates on it. (Found it, it was called the curve0) I think more projects should implement that.

I'm pretty sure there I've said this on my thread but this is an amazing project, especially for the price for a full alu keyboard like this. I would get it but I do want to get an og F-AT and mod the layout one day (creating full ansi with split backspace including the bottom row by carving parts out of the case) but if I ever do that one day I will definitely buy some caps from the website (even if single caps are pricey)

Tempest790:
This is the first video review of the Model F 104 keyboard. Looks like he has the compact version in red. Ironically, he doesn't care for the sound that much, but it's music to my ears!

Rhienfo:

--- Quote from: Tempest790 on Mon, 21 August 2023, 11:03:06 ---This is the first video review of the Model F 104 keyboard. Looks like he has the compact version in red. Ironically, he doesn't care for the sound that much, but it's music to my ears!

--- End quote ---

I saw that video and honestly it isn't a very good review on it. I would explain why but admiral shark explained it far better than I ever could.

That channel has barely anyone who knows what goes into making a good custom keyboard, let alone vintage stuff, they somehow know less about vintage stuff than I do, cause even I know about stuff like floss mod and the uniform caps of the IBM keycaps. The only purpose of the channel is to shill (which considering they are apart of Linus media group isn't expected)

I would definitely look elsewhere for reviews when they come out.

Ellipse:
Level1Techs and PC World have also posted about the Ultra Compact FSSK / F104 keyboards:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1928356/model-f-ultra-compact-keyboard-review.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version