geekhack Community > Reviews

Ducky 1087XM with Black switches

<< < (2/3) > >>

OnTheBrink:

--- Quote from: FoxWolf1 on Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:26:24 ---
--- Quote from: Halverson on Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:42:03 ---
--- Quote from: kboardvintage on Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:07:50 ---removable usb "cons"?

--- End quote ---

I think the con of having it removable is the chance of damaging the connector from constant removal and insertion.

--- End quote ---

And even if you never remove the connector, the possibility of damage is still increased in most implementations: the USB cable plugs directly into a connector attached to the PCB, so there is less opportunity for stress relief than in an implementation where the cable can wrap around a post or something internally before attaching to the PCB.

--- End quote ---

Since there is routing on the bottom of the keyboard, any tugging or play will not pull on the PCB but the plastic. Which is actually better than having something connected directly.

Also, being able to remove something isn't a con because you have the 'ability' to remove it a lot of times and break it, lol. That is like saying wireless headphones are a con because you may lose the battery.

Demofly:
I haven't opened the keyboard yet, so I don't know if its PCB mounted or not. But I've accidentally pulled the USB cable out by re-adjusting my feet and tugging on the cable. Also the USB port itself is wobbly. The only reason I could see removable USB being practical is if you have multiple USB cables (not provided) already set up on multiple computers, or if you had a bunch of keyboards that connect through the same mini USB type fashion.

Otherwise you still have to remove and tote the cable when you move the keyboard...

OnTheBrink:
What?

I'm saying it is beneficial especially if you want to hot swap keyboards. If you have two boards that have a removable USB, all you have to do is unplug right at your desk and attach the second keyboard without re-routing through your desk and/or attaching a new cable.

Much quicker and easier especially if you like using different boards for different tasks.

I'm sorry, I just can't gauge a removable cable being a con, especially since you can route it and revert any play to the chassis. Unless of course it's a reach to compensate for an overpriced/overhyped Filco.

FoxWolf1:

--- Quote from: OnTheBrink on Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:11:44 ---
--- Quote from: FoxWolf1 on Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:26:24 ---
--- Quote from: Halverson on Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:42:03 ---
--- Quote from: kboardvintage on Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:07:50 ---removable usb "cons"?

--- End quote ---

I think the con of having it removable is the chance of damaging the connector from constant removal and insertion.

--- End quote ---

And even if you never remove the connector, the possibility of damage is still increased in most implementations: the USB cable plugs directly into a connector attached to the PCB, so there is less opportunity for stress relief than in an implementation where the cable can wrap around a post or something internally before attaching to the PCB.

--- End quote ---

Since there is routing on the bottom of the keyboard, any tugging or play will not pull on the PCB but the plastic. Which is actually better than having something connected directly.

--- End quote ---

What routing? My 1008XM certainly didn't have any...the USB plugged directly into a connector at the back (not bottom) of the keyboard, and the connector attached straight to the PCB. By the pictures, it looks like the 1087XMs are the same way. No stress relief to speak of...not that mine lasted long enough for the USB connector to break, but it may well have done so, had it lasted longer.

Demofly:

--- Quote from: OnTheBrink on Tue, 26 February 2013, 11:38:25 ---What?

I'm saying it is beneficial especially if you want to hot swap keyboards. If you have two boards that have a removable USB, all you have to do is unplug right at your desk and attach the second keyboard without re-routing through your desk and/or attaching a new cable.

Much quicker and easier especially if you like using different boards for different tasks.

I'm sorry, I just can't gauge a removable cable being a con, especially since you can route it and revert any play to the chassis. Unless of course it's a reach to compensate for an overpriced/overhyped Filco.

--- End quote ---
You're confusing the practicality of a removable USB design with the ****tiness of it's implementation on this keyboard.

Plus it's personal preference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version