Author Topic: Teenage Engineering Computer-1 Case  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Shapey Fiend

Teenage Engineering Computer-1 Case
« on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 13:08:02 »
Finally a computer case that doesn't look like every other computer case, to a degree. Wish we had more variety of aesthetics. There's so much cool music making hardware out right now that looks really satisfying, with clicky buttons, dials, HUDs and indicator lights. I guess the difference is those products cost a lot of money whereas computer cases are highly commoditized.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/28/22750729/teenage-engineering-computer-1-mini-itx-case-features-price

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Teenage Engineering Computer-1 Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 13:23:58 »
It's like sff, but not implemented in a weird not the best way..
Not sure if I'm a fan of it. Seems a lil stupid to me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 14:32:23 »
That is interesting, years ago I toyed with building a "steampunk" case out of wood and copper.

But the problem is that the computer case is invariably something that I want to kick back out of the way under the desk.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 15:44:51 »
I always loved TE's aesthetic. It kinda like 70s industrial meets Swedish modern design.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 04:33:23 »
Looks like it'd have poor thermals. A few over on the SFF forum also pointed out the very limiting CPU clearance.

There are any number of better (functionally) designed SFF cases out there but also a range of similarly style over function cases (particularly from China). It would only be if someone really liked the aesthetic that they'd chose this over others I feel.

In terms of an excellent, well-made and thoughtfully considered case that also comes flat-packed there's the FormD T1 (sub 10L). For something cheaper, decently built, widely available and comes in the same color there's the Cooler Master NR200/NR200P in Sunset Orange (18L).

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 05:16:15 »
Well, it's certainly... different.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 05:51:42 »
I'm not a fan of small fans or large gaps between pieces, and lack of dust filters.

And... builders have to bend the tabs themselves ... I've bent aluminium parts at home: it is not that easy to get the angle/alignment right, and it can break easily if you overdo it. That is something that should really have been done in the factory by professionals using a proper sheet-metal bending rig before powder-coating.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 19:17:33 »
cool design but i'm done with buying expensive cases that i gotta work around. it was fun doing an itx build once but i just dread every time i need to go in and do anything with my build and the gpu incompatibility is a huge pain in the tail when you'd be even lucky to find any 30 series gpu in this day

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 22:03:02 »
Looks like it can only take limited size graphics cards, which seems a bit self defeating for something that looks like it's designed to be an eye-catching, portable gaming rig.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 22:39:10 »
Looks like it can only take limited-size graphics cards, which seems a bit self-defeating for something that looks like it's designed to be an eye-catching, portable gaming rig.
Yeah, this is a bit of a deal-breaker. I'm not sure it is completely meant to be portable, but more rather something like the NZXT H1, where the goal is just to take up a small space. Although yeah, the small GPU seems quite shabby considering even cases half the size can fit a full-size card.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 08:46:00 »

cases that i gotta work around.

Around the turn of the millennium I bought a huge steel tower case that accommodated everything: multiple drives (several each 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" external and at least half a dozen 5-1/4" internal), any motherboard I wanted to put into it, at least half a dozen fans (most with washable filters) and it was fantastic. My only complaint was that it had a pop-up "module" on top for stereo connections and USB ports that kept top from being flat so that I could stack stuff on it. 

At the time my kids were growing up and so a couple of times a year I would upgrade components (resulting in a downstream cascading roundelay of hand-me-down upgrades for everybody else). I didn't buy another "computer system" - the closest I came was to upgrade motherboard and CPU every 2-3 years (often with a new hard drive, too).

Finally, about a year ago, I bought a whole new rig in a slightly smaller and considerably lighter case (I am getting older and the Maxtech is a back-breaker), but the old one is still around as a secondary/backup system.

To me, that is what a computer case should be - a workbench that easily accepts whatever you throw at it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 09:38:41 »

cases that i gotta work around.

Around the turn of the millennium I bought a huge steel tower case that accommodated everything: multiple drives (several each 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" external and at least half a dozen 5-1/4" internal), any motherboard I wanted to put into it, at least half a dozen fans (most with washable filters) and it was fantastic. My only complaint was that it had a pop-up "module" on top for stereo connections and USB ports that kept top from being flat so that I could stack stuff on it. 

At the time my kids were growing up and so a couple of times a year I would upgrade components (resulting in a downstream cascading roundelay of hand-me-down upgrades for everybody else). I didn't buy another "computer system" - the closest I came was to upgrade motherboard and CPU every 2-3 years (often with a new hard drive, too).

Finally, about a year ago, I bought a whole new rig in a slightly smaller and considerably lighter case (I am getting older and the Maxtech is a back-breaker), but the old one is still around as a secondary/backup system.

To me, that is what a computer case should be - a workbench that easily accepts whatever you throw at it.

I had something similar, perhaps five years more recently. Antec P180 or P183. The case was 15kg, empty. It was fantastic.

Five years ago I downsided and moved to a much smaller and lighter Coolermaster ITX style case with huge amounts of airflow. Nothing fancy, but it's also turned out to be great.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 02:55:47 »
Nah, not pretty. I tell you what's pretty - Nano Tower :P
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::