geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

[GH design] Aluminum + Acrylic Filco TKL case

(1/16) > >>

oneproduct:
The premise

Hi everyone. Some people may remember that I designed and had some hand-made aluminum poker/pure cases built at a metal working shop near me. For those who haven't seen/heard of this, here's a little video to show the end product that was made:

I'd like to do something with that same shop again but this time for a Filco TKL case, but I'd like some help with design decisions.

The concept

The basic idea that I have is to do something similar to litster's design where he had several layers of acrylic stacked together like an ice cream sandwich (I'll have to contact him to make sure he's okay with it, otherwise we can come up with something a bit different). The main difference would be that the top and bottom layers would be aluminum and only the middle piece would be acrylic.

This is neat because it should have the cool metal look and touch on the surface, but also be very affordable, as there isn't any expensive CNC to be done and by using acrylic as the middle piece, you cut down on the material cost of aluminum.

Here's a little picture of what I'm thinking:

Screws would then connect the three layers together and would recede into the case so the surface remains smooth.

Things to do

Some things I would like some help with: (might add more later)
1. What is the exact space taken by a 1 unit key, and what is the amount of space between keys? Alternatively, if you already know the exact size of each of the key clusters that would be great too. In general, just getting the dimensions of everything right.
2. What special considerations need to be done for the bottom of the PCB? (fins, etc)

Aesthetics

1. I can have the cases anodized at the place near me again as well, though last time they didn't stick to their deadlines very well. I would only do brushing this time, as polished finishes weren't as great. The colors available are red, blue, gold and silver, but there's a minimum quantity that must be met for each color that we use.
2. What type of corners? Perfectly square vs slightly rounded (Filco style) vs very rounded (Leopold style).
3. What thickness of aluminum to use? I was thinking on the thin side, like 1/16". This would keep the cost down and it would still look and feel the same on the surface. More thickness would just be for the "I like it heavy" crowd, but would make things more expensive.

---

Anyways, let me know what you think or if you can help. I'm serious about getting these done at an affordable price! While people have done acrylic cases and aluminum cases already, they were always either limited in quantity or too expensive for most people. I would be able to make any amount of these.

Also, unlike the poker cases I had made before, these would be mostly machine made due to the type of work involved, so they should be more 'machine-perfect'.

litster:
Ha, I found you first!  The answer is NO!

Just kidding :-)  Would love to help. 

oneproduct:
That would be great, particularly since you must already have accurate dimensions. :D

Even more useful though would be your experience dealing with the troublesome bottom side.

Edit: typo

Cindori:
fap fap fap

I love this idea. But it's gonna require high build quality and precise measurements to not look crappy, since it's separate pieces.

DarkShot:
Unfortunately I can't help you with your spacing issue, but a couple questions about the acrylic fill:

First, were you going to be cutting it from single pieces and stacking it up? If not, how were you going to me making it?

Second, what colours were you looking to do?

And here's hoping you can get the assistance you need, it looks promising as the full aluminum keyboard case, while desirable is stupid expensive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version