Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 399002 times)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1250 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 23:46:20 »
Ballast Point Sculpin is THE beer.

The Grapefruit Sculpin is the ****!

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1251 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 23:48:22 »

It is! The only IPA I can get my girlfriend to drink. Ballast Point makes some damn good beer

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1252 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 23:48:36 »

It's ok.  Calling it "the beer" is a bit of a stretch.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1253 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 00:22:27 »

Agreed, I wouldn't call it "the beer" but it is a solid IPA.  I think that they've been really diluting the brand with the success of it too, which is a shame.  All these flavored Sculpins really don't float my boat.  Although I enjoyed the Habanero Sculpin with some Mexican food the time I had it.  I would never have it again though.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1254 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 00:27:58 »

It is! The only IPA I can get my girlfriend to drink. Ballast Point makes some damn good beer

I really enjoy victory at sea and calm before the storm.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1255 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:00:15 »

I finally got Victory at Sea. I need to find some Calm Before the Storm. I really want to try The Sculpin IPAs as well. That grapefruit sounds awesome.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1256 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:31:40 »

I finally got Victory at Sea. I need to find some Calm Before the Storm. I really want to try The Sculpin IPAs as well. That grapefruit sounds awesome.

I've heard they have a Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout as well that I'd like to try.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1257 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:37:08 »

Agreed, I wouldn't call it "the beer" but it is a solid IPA.  I think that they've been really diluting the brand with the success of it too, which is a shame.  All these flavored Sculpins really don't float my boat.  Although I enjoyed the Habanero Sculpin with some Mexican food the time I had it.  I would never have it again though.

Really average stuff in my opinion, but it's sure hyped up a lot. I love habaneros and I love IPAs. I didn't like the combo by itself though. I'd take a Racer 5 over Sculpin any day...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1258 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:43:49 »

Really average stuff in my opinion, but it's sure hyped up a lot. I love habaneros and I love IPAs. I didn't like the combo by itself though. I'd take a Racer 5 over Sculpin any day...

Haven't tried Racer 5, will have to look for it. Sculpin is still my favorite IPA, been drinking a lot of local Southern Tier Double IPA lately though. Big fan for the price.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #1259 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:54:34 »
Those are some solid beers. You're not alone in your opinion. Most of my buddies that drink beer are big Sculpin fans. It's just not my first pick. I'm not sure if Racer 5 is available in your area. There have been some supply issues here in TX. It's put out by Bear Republic in Cali.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #1260 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:02:29 »
...also, if your girlfriend doesn't like IPAs you could try Dogfish Head 60 or 90. The 60 is pretty tame compared to lots of IPAs and the 90 has a nice malt "backbone" to offset the bitterness of the hops. Both are good beers that are pretty easy to find and not super expensive. Personally, Double Dog from Flying Dog is still one of my favorites. Super hoppy and super malty with a nice heavy viscosity...yet, still very drinkable.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1261 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:08:05 »
...also, if your girlfriend doesn't like IPAs you could try Dogfish Head 60 or 90. The 60 is pretty tame compared to lots of IPAs and the 90 has a nice malt "backbone" to offset the bitterness of the hops. Both are good beers that are pretty easy to find and not super expensive. Personally, Double Dog from Flying Dog is still one of my favorites. Super hoppy and super malty with a nice heavy viscosity...yet, still very drinkable.

She actually really likes the Grapefruit Sculpin, a big part of why I liked it initially. Dogfish Head makes some good beer, the 60 minute is what initially switched me from stouts to IPAs. Double Dog and Flying Dog are also pretty good beers. Limbo is a pretty mild, good tasting IPA that you could probably find in TX if you haven't tried it. I'm up in Buffalo so most of the craft beer around is from New England and out towards Wisconsin

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #1262 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:28:40 »
Cool, I'll have to try that one. I really dislike most of Flying Dog's stuff. Dat Double Dog doe...;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1263 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 23:53:08 »
Had a great one tonight.  4th Anniversary "Beeramisu" by Pizza Port.  Very good if you like a very strong stout with tons of coffee and chocolate up front with a slightly sweet vanilla finish. 

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1264 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:26:31 »
Bittersweet day as I end my winter break, and begin student teaching. Nevertheless, I have a great team I get the pleasure of working with. Something else strange happened today - I voluntarily purchased an IPA. Here's what I'm sipping on right now...

Grapefruit Sculpin.

I just need to convince my dad to pick up the regular and Habenero version so we can trade some beers.

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline tribade

« Reply #1265 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 15:16:32 »

Now that's a lunch!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1266 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 22:19:48 »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1267 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 22:40:33 »
Got nothin on Halverson there, but still enjoying this one from Booze Brothers.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1268 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 23:06:40 »
Watchu know 'bout our magnums of Cantillon gueuze

(took Halverson to my local bottle share)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1269 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:59:28 »
Whew.  As some of you may know, I just returned from a road trip to/from Florida.  Well, I ended up spending a bit of time talking to DanielUCF about home brewing and beer in general, and he gave me some home brews among a slew of local beer advice for the Orlando/FL area.  :D  So this is what I came home with after letting him hack my wallet with beer...

FL BEER by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1270 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:01:47 »
Whew.  As some of you may know, I just returned from a road trip to/from Florida.  Well, I ended up spending a bit of time talking to DanielUCF about home brewing and beer in general, and he gave me some home brews among a slew of local beer advice for the Orlando/FL area.  :D  So this is what I came home with after letting him hack my wallet with beer...

Show Image

What's that beer with the cartoon on it? Nice haul!

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1271 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:44:40 »

Show Image

Seeing this picture makes me want a Heady Topper and a Little Sip of Sunshine.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1272 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:01:06 »

Show Image

Really wish I could get some Funky Buddha here in Missouri. I have a bottle of Prairie BOMB! in my fridge waiting for the weekend.

Let us know how that Prairie Funky Gold (?) on the far left is. I almost picked up a bottle but passed up at the last second. I have plenty of beers to try the next two weeks or so though. :p

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1273 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:14:10 »

Show Image

Really wish I could get some Funky Buddha here in Missouri. I have a bottle of Prairie BOMB! in my fridge waiting for the weekend.

Let us know how that Prairie Funky Gold (?) on the far left is. I almost picked up a bottle but passed up at the last second. I have plenty of beers to try the next two weeks or so though. :p

You want some Buddha?  I'd be happy to share.  :)

And I owe @tribade some brews.  ;)  PM incoming.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1274 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 17:50:14 »

Show Image

You want some Buddha?  I'd be happy to share.  :)

And I owe @tribade some brews.  ;)  PM incoming.

Wait. Are you serious??? I'd love to try some Funky Buddha!! :p :eek: ;D

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1275 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 00:41:26 »

I quite like it.  I'm trying to remember if that's one of the ones I shared with Badwrench or not, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it the last few times I bought it.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1276 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:38:57 »
Having one today in the middle of the day. Living the dream. Almanac seems to building up quite the head of steam around these parts. And I do like their IPA

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1277 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:46:45 »
Having one today in the middle of the day. Living the dream. Almanac seems to building up quite the head of steam around these parts. And I do like their IPA
Show Image

Any beers you know about in seattle?

Going their all next week for a vacation. wanting to pick stuff up.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1278 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:47:21 »
Show Image

I don't have much knowledge of Washington beer.  I know more about Oregon beer and Victoria, BC beer to be honest.  From what I remember of being there the beer tends to be good though.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1279 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 15:55:16 »
Only beer I really miss from up there is Quilter's Irish Death by Iron Horse. Elysian has a bunch of mediocre beet with some occasional awesome stuff.  Schooner Exact has a following up there.

Since I know you love IPAs, two bar recommendations for you with good local stuff: Hopvine and The Pine Box.  For good Belgian, Brouwer's and The Stumbling Monk.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1280 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 16:06:17 »
Only beer I really miss from up there is Quilter's Irish Death by Iron Horse. Elysian has a bunch of mediocre beet with some occasional awesome stuff.  Schooner Exact has a following up there.

Since I know you love IPAs, two bar recommendations for you with good local stuff: Hopvine and The Pine Box.  For good Belgian, Brouwer's and The Stumbling Monk.

Listen to this man!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1281 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 16:38:34 »

Added to my list!!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1282 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:10:06 »

Fremont should be on the top of your list. Anything stout/ BA stout/ or IPA they absolutely kill. Best brewery in Seattle by far. In addition to Nubbs recommendations I'd check out Browers and Chuck's (new location is just over the hill if you go to pinebox or stumbling).

I hear good things about Holy Mountain  and Black Raven, if you can make it out as far as West Seattle check out Super Deli Mart, super low key mini-mart with hella bottles, growler fills and sandwiches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:13:48 by jwaz »

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1283 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:11:08 »
where we goin tomorrow beer master?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1284 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:14:54 »

Apparently wine tasting?? For real we should go to Russian River Brewing if we go up that way. Get some Pig/ Pliny/ Supp/ Consecration for everyone.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1285 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:16:28 »

Apparently wine tasting?? For real we should go to Russian River Brewing if we go up that way. Get some Pig/ Pliny/ Supp/ Consecration for everyone.

Well aren't you two so cute

Wherever we go it'll be dope af

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1286 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:19:31 »

yeah that sounds better. how does it compare to lagunitas brewery? haven't been to either.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1287 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:25:30 »
Show Image

Have you had their gose?  It's not amazing, but it is really good for the price.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1288 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:31:51 »

Im so freaking jelous.

plz get me a shirt D=

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1289 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:42:27 »
Southern Tier Double IPA tonight. Buffalo On Tap festival tomorrow night, will let you all know which IPAs I like best :cool:

Offline tribade

« Reply #1290 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:56:54 »

Wait **** if you're going wine tasting let me know.  I'm in Sonoma and work in the industry.  Hit me up.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1291 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:58:03 »
Oh wait you mean tomorrow.  I'm going to see Chappelle in the city tomorrow.  Can't taste then :(

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1292 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 19:11:05 »
Turning the heat down in my home and keeping warm with this.

Habanero Sculpin. Really, really enjoying it!

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline tribade

« Reply #1293 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 19:12:05 »
Turning the heat down in my home and keeping warm with this.

Show Image

Habanero Sculpin. Really, really enjoying it!

There is nothing that beer pairs better than with mexican food.  do it. do it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1294 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 19:22:01 »

Oh wait you mean tomorrow.  I'm going to see Chappelle in the city tomorrow.  Can't taste then :(

Perhaps I'll have to hit you up before I leave Oakland!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1295 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:16:04 »
I guess I picked up a whale tonight.  Good thing it's not hyped in my head (outside of knowing there's a cult following of Ahabs).  I'll see how it stands up in my mind.

Figured I might as well pick up one of everything else while I was there and it was there.

And whenever I go to the store, my goal is always to try something new and try something local.  I've found that there are almost always some local beers that compete with whales.  Modern Times is hit or miss with me, never had Wein's, and 90 Minute was one of the beers that got me into beer, so I had to try this.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1296 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:19:24 »
I guess I picked up a whale tonight.  Good thing it's not hyped in my head (outside of knowing there's a cult following of Ahabs).  I'll see how it stands up in my mind.

Show Image

Figured I might as well pick up one of everything else while I was there and it was there.

Show Image

And whenever I go to the store, my goal is always to try something new and try something local.  I've found that there are almost always some local beers that compete with whales.  Modern Times is hit or miss with me, never had Wein's, and 90 Minute was one of the beers that got me into beer, so I had to try this.

Show Image

Not a fan of the All Day IPA here, haven't tried their stouts though

Offline tribade

« Reply #1297 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 21:41:37 »

Perhaps I'll have to hit you up before I leave Oakland!

Yeah, let me know! I'll show you a good time I promise.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1298 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 21:59:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Good to see Founder's over in Cali!  I live maybe 5-10 minutes from their HQ and main brewery and for the last couple years they seem to be in a constant state of expansion.  I enjoy all of the ones you posted with the exception of the Porter and the KBS, which I haven't tried.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #1299 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 22:02:16 »
Currently:

Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL