Author Topic: A Short Review of the Realforce 87U Type S  (Read 7453 times)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
A Short Review of the Realforce 87U Type S
« on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 08:48:09 »
So I was anticipating FedEx coming with this puppy later today but luckily we (Father and I) were delayed from departure by the lack of peanut butter. Just as we were leaving, The FedEx driver happened to drop this gorgeous board off so I could take it to work for a test drive today :D So without further adue, here we go!

This board is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Tis my first 87 key board and it just feels miniature compared to my 103 which I was just using yesterday. I love the Realforce white on black dyesub PBT caps, they're just so crisp and perfect looking. The silencing is much more than I thought it would be, or more simply put, more effective. It not only seems to silence a bit of the downstroke, to the point where sometimes I can't even hear myself typing compared to the membrane heathen that surrounds me. The updstroke has been almost completely taken care of as well. When typing fast on this thing it's almost inaudible as well. But needless to say it still has the feel of a Topre switch and luckily that hasn't changed at all with the addition of the silencing. The switches do feel a little scratchy, but that could be because this thing is brand spanking new, though my FC660C didn't feel like that, though, that and my 103 were bought used (FC660C about a week, 103u about 2 years), but this isn't really an issue. In an office environment where there are sensitive ears everywhere, this thing is perfect. I didn't like typing fast on my 103u because of how loud it could get, while this thing is just perfect for that. Someone recently had a thread about using Cherry MX Blues in class or whether they shouldn't and this is making me think that this thing, or even an HHKB Type S would be perfect for a classroom setting.

Onto other things. The variable weighting feels much better on this compared to my 103. It doesn't feel blatantly obvious like the other board, but it is comfortable and you can still tell it's there. As far as typing feel and sounds go, it still has that Topre thock when bottoming out but it isn't nearly as pronounced as before. The entire thing just feels better than I thought it would. I came into using this board thinking, what if I hated it? I couldn't have been more wrong in that assumption. I absolutely love this thing. The ONLY thing that would make this board better is if it were a uniform 45g. I might have to get a second 87U to rip the domes from :)) The modifiers are silent when you type with them in a normal typing fashion, as is the spacebar, but if you hit those individual keys hard, they still sound unsilenced, which I like. All stabilizer sound is still there on all of the stabilized keys which is a unique sound on topre's. There just isn't anything to hate on this board.

Another thing that's totally unrelated to anything performance wise is the Purple Sliders on the switches. So damn classy, I love it.

One thing about my board in particular. The case seems to be warped about a milimeter or so on the front right sloping upwards which sets this board out of balance. I had to stick something to shim the board down so that it would alleviate this issue. I might try to replace the rubber feet on it to see if that fixes the issue, but I think it's just something I'm going to have to live with.

Let's do some Pro's and Con's of the silencing

Pros:
Makes the board a helluva lot quieter
Somewhat of a softer feel from the board, but in a good way
Purple sliders  ;D

Cons:
Can detract from overall thock if that's why you love Topre
Feels a little bit scratchy, I believe this is caused by the foam silencing on the slider rubbing, should be fixable given you'd have to disassemble the board and switches.
Needs moar cowbell!

That's about it guys, if you'd like some pictures or have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll happily do so (pictures after 5PM sometime when I get home). Thank's for reading and hopefully you'll all go out and buy a Type-S for the office! (Or class, or home, or anything really, just freakin' buy one!)

Youtube video of sound compared to my 660C
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:59:37 by oTurtlez »
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: A Short Review of the Realforce 87U Type S
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:43:44 »
Nice review!  I plan on getting a silenced 87u and modding my uniform 55g into a silenced 55g.  I have no idea why RF doesn't make a silenced uniform 45g or 55g board....I'd buy one up in an instant.  Silenced topre is the way topre should be experienced imo (typed on a HHKB 2 Type-S).
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:48:20 »
Nice review!  I plan on getting a silenced 87u and modding my uniform 55g into a silenced 55g.  I have no idea why RF doesn't make a silenced uniform 45g or 55g board....I'd buy one up in an instant.  Silenced topre is the way topre should be experienced imo (typed on a HHKB 2 Type-S).

I agree. The non-silenced topre's have their own unique feel, but I just prefer my Type S from now on. Then again I do love my uniform 45g, but it all makes me wonder what a uniform silenced would be like.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:00:00 »
Added a video comparing the sound to my 660C ;D Enjoy!
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:42:20 »
The video just reminds me how bad I want a silenced spacebar. The thocking on the FC660C sounds great but the slap of the spacebar in between every word makes it sound less refined than the silenced RF...

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 19:16:44 »
Great review.  But I disagree about which Topre switch has the "real thock".  The Silenced Topre switches deliver the real thock, IMO, whereas the non-silenced version delivers more of a "thock-click" (with that slight click sound occurring when the keycap returns to its apex/ default position.)  Both switches, the silenced Topre and the non-silenced Topre are great, don't get me wrong, it's just that the silenced is greater in general and thockier in sound.

As for the warped board, do not accept a less than perfect keyboard.  You are paying a lot of money for a luxury keyboard, and it should be flat, not uneven.  First, try to straighten it out yourself, by gently twisting the keyboard by hand.  If that doesn't work (and it might not), send it back via RMA and get a normal flat one.  In my keyboard collecting experience, I have purchased probably two dozen keyboards (or more), and luckily I've only had one that was bent like yours.  (But I have seen other complaints on this forum about other brands being bent, including Filco and RealForce.)  In my case however, it was a lowly Noppoo Choc Mini.  Since it came directly from China, and since it was relatively inexpensive, I decided to fix it myself.  Once I took it apart I discovered that the plastic case itself was warped with one corner about 3 mm higher than the other three corners, which is due to horrible manufacturing QC, IMO.  But, since it was ABS plastic I just heated the bare case (without the internal circuit board) over a pot of boiling water and straightened it out flat.  It worked, but one of the feet got a little too soft from overheating (it was pretty hard to get the temp exact in my kitchen) and after it cooled, the locking nub no longer locks that foot into place, so it will not stay in the up position and it flops around when you lift the keyboard (which is not a big deal, since I always use it with the feet down, but it's there.)  Anyway, I would not suggest trying to fix your RealForce the same way, to avoid a similar result, just send it back, if you can't bend it straight with your hands.  (Plus I think RealForce case is made from PBT, which has melting point of 150C.)
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 19:58:18 »
"One thing about my board in particular. The case seems to be warped about a milimeter or so on the front right sloping upwards which sets this board out of balance. I had to stick something to shim the board down so that it would alleviate this issue. I might try to replace the rubber feet on it to see if that fixes the issue, but I think it's just something I'm going to have to live with."

No! For the price you paid for a new RF Type S, a warped board is NOT something you should have to live with. It is a pain to return merchandise and annoying to wait for the replacement, but the company needs to know that the board was imperfect and that customers will not settle for defects in workmanship and/or quality control.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 22:41:43 »
In the video I said that I tried to bend it back, and it resulted in success surprisingly. I didn't think it'd do anything but now it sits just fine :)
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Polymer

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 02:31:36 »
RF boards can be bent which is why some people's are a bit off...You just have to press them on all four corners at the same time on a flat surface and it'll become flat..

I think it has to do with how it is mounted, it allows itself to shift a bit and stay rather than stay extremely rigid...anyways, easy fix...

Offline listokei

• ListoKei Blog
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 10:03:35 »
Type S, It is very quiet. :thumb: