Author Topic: Xerox DocuTech Keyboard!!!  (Read 16682 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Xerox DocuTech Keyboard!!!
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 14:50:54 »
Welp, looks like we have another anomaly on our hands:

Cable stamp looks like it has 89 in the code

From this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-XEROX-6085-WORKSTATION-COMPLETEUNTESTED-/112082757628

Looks like we have a Daybreak/6085 keyboard that's from 1992, when the 6085's production supposedly stopped in 1989. I'm guessing it was a replacement? The 6085's keyboard had many different model numbers and variations, unlike the Docutech's single model number. One on eBay even had a detachable cable.

Since this one's date of manufacture overlaps with SKCM Green, it could potentially have greens in it, though those switches might just be exclusive to the Docutech boards.

We keep finding boards that shouldn't exist. :P
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 August 2016, 14:54:39 by E3E »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 14:57:00 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:24:05 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:40:44 »
Update on the 6085, guys.

It turns out that it does have SKCM Green.

The seller sold it to me after we worked out a deal, but it wasn't cheap. Either way, these are kind of oddities, so I wanted to have one. They're probably a lot harder to come by than DocuTechs, which was incentive to shell out.

Anyway, this, combined with another user named Terrycherry on Deskthority also finding a damaged 6085 from 1993 from a junkyard which also had pine green, shows that:

1) Date is the most significant thing on these keyboards, and the DocuTechs are almost certainly just repackaged 6085 keyboards. If the date is 1990 and up, it's likely going to have SKCM Green.

2) Because of the jump from SKCM Brown to SKCM Green in the 6085, I think we have strong evidence to show a connection between the two. It's like the relationship of SKCM Blue > SKCM White or SKCM Orange > SKCM Salmon.

Secondly, it seems that DocuTech keyboards can have pine SKCM Green switches from 1990-1994.

Nateth helped me out here.

As you can see, the ICs have timecodes for 1994 and the stamp on the connector is also marked "94."

So, I would say that Nateth's pine DocuTech is from 1994. Maybe it was repaired in 1997 and they put it in a 1997 case or put a new label on it then, which would explain the lone bamboo switch.

So far, we've seen pine SKCM from 1990 and 1991 with my two Docutechs. 1992 from jacbolus' Docutech and the above 6085. 1993 from terrycherry's 6085, and 1994 from Nateth's DocuTech.

This filled a bunch of gaps in the timeline. Every board I've seen from 1995 on up has had bamboo, so 1994 must be the cut off year. Now we know. If only we could see some more from 1994 just to see if it varies at all.

The last thing to figure out is exactly how long DocuTech keyboards were produced.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:45:11 by E3E »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:43:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:19:18 by alienman82 »

Offline nateth

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:50:27 »
Damn E3E is pale!

Lol No, I'm the pale one. I shot those crappy pics earlier tonight. It does sound like he got ahold of a 6085 board with pine greens which I most certainly envy! Mine is brown like the one nubbs found.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:51:43 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:19:15 by alienman82 »

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:53:58 »
I was promised the keyboard and mouse from a Docutech 135. If your interested I will post pics when I get it later this month.

Offline E3E

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:06:10 »
Damn E3E is pale!

Lol No, I'm the pale one. I shot those crappy pics earlier tonight. It does sound like he got ahold of a 6085 board with pine greens which I most certainly envy! Mine is brown like the one nubbs found.

Just check out the dates! Or ask for a picture of the sticker on the back so you can see the date. Though that petitplanet seller is a certifiable jerk from what I've heard, so asking him wouldn't have helped. All of his keyboards were SKCM Brown though. If it's 1990 +, it's gonna be SKCM Green.

I think the majority of 6085s will be brown alps though. The one from this guy came from his brother who worked in Palo Alto at Xerox and he said they used the Daybreak systems (despite them being taken off the market in 1989) until the mid 90s when Xerox closed their Xsoft division. So, I'd say the 6085s with greens are either going to be internal Xerox keyboards or replacement keyboards for customers that needed them in the 90s. 

Hopefully we will see more of them though.

DocuTechs will ALWAYS have greens though, of course. :) And damn, they're popping up a lot right now, haha.

I was promised the keyboard and mouse from a Docutech 135. If your interested I will post pics when I get it later this month.

Keep us updated. I'd like to see what the date is on your model and definitely see pics of it in general.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:07:42 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 06:37:23 »
Awesome, now we're getting somewhere :D . I always like it when a keyboard or switch timeline gets fleshed out like this :) . Incidentally, the DT wiki page on SKCM neon green got an overhaul recently, too :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:25:24 »
Awesome, now we're getting somewhere :D . I always like it when a keyboard or switch timeline gets fleshed out like this :) . Incidentally, the DT wiki page on SKCM neon green got an overhaul recently, too :) .

Looks like Daniel's back at it again.

I find it interesting that the description changed from rare to considerably rare to uncommon. :-X Who's allowed to judge rarity? They'll never be happy! :P

I'm with you on the wiki being a bit finicky; I really need to add pictures and more facts about the pine switches as well as make pages for the two Xerox boards but haven't because of how editing the wiki is a little tricky. Not that difficult, but eh.

But yeah, with this direct connection to the 6085, the timeline definitely seems more distinct now. If the board had SKCM Brown or another switch then that'd have totally debunked that theory, haha.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 11:22:18 »

Looks like Daniel's back at it again.

I find it interesting that the description changed from rare to considerably rare to uncommon. :-X Who's allowed to judge rarity? They'll never be happy! :P
Yeah, that's Daniel :P . God knows I don't call things rare quickly, but neon greens are rare :P .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline nateth

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 15:42:40 »
Hey everyone. I just took some more pictures of a Bamboo board. Label and cable both indicate 1998 and the PCB is Rev. B.
I see Xerox, Texax Instruments, AMD, & Motorola on the chips like the pine board.

145652-0

145654-1

145656-2

145658-3

145660-4

145662-5

145664-6

Offline E3E

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 15:36:41 »
Thanks again for all the pics, Nateth. Super happy to see everything interesting documented.

I just noticed that one of petitplanet's listings, the guy who had a few 6085 keyboards on eBay also had one assembled in June of 1990. This is before the DocuTech came out, but I wonder if it had SKCM Greens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XEROX-6085-1-6085-2-WORKSTATION-KEYBOARD-IN-GOOD-WORKING-CONDITION-/291824893374?nma=true&si=9Ba%252FCfHEbEBqYK8fClKFuHZquqs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I feel doubtful that whoever bought it will turn up so we can know for sure, but it's whatever.

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 21:15:41 »
Finally got to pick up my Docutech today. The guy who sold it to me was still using it till his Docutech 135 was picked up for parts, so I had to wait. Lol

He was nice enough to keep the mice, mouse pad and keyboard for me. He took really good care of his stuff. And he said it was serviced when ever he had problems.

Excuse the potato pics, it is night time and my house has crap lighting.

Also I can't seem to get it all the way open. Something in the middle is holding the case together still. Seems to be the two holes to the top left and right of the label, but I can figure out what to do in them, there is not screw, just a plastic bar inside.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 21:20:41 by HouseofSuffering »

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 21:17:20 »
Keyboard isn't nearly as yellow as those pics make it look. Here is one I took in the daylight.

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 21:39:51 »
Nevermind, got it. I guess you just have to pull.

The ball mouse is pretty awesome. Heavy and very mechanical feeling.

I was surprised to see the original mouse is a laser mouse.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 21:42:57 by HouseofSuffering »

Offline E3E

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 22:58:51 »
A seller in Michigan had a board like this and that infamous (to me) trackball. Sick, I always wanted one for my DocuTechs. He was selling the entire system. He later said he was auctioning the keyboard, but I never heard what came of it nor saw the auction.

Is this the same one?

Looks like yours are bamboo switches. Okay, so that means that 1994 is definitely the transition stage for these switches, since nateth's 1997 DocuTech with pine had 1994 time codes all over it.

Guess that year is a toss-up, but it seems that any year before that from 1990-1993 will have pine.

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 23:18:40 »
This was from a craigslist ad in socal. Guy was trying to sell his whole Docutech 135 for $1000. Thing was like 20' long. I contacted him and asked him if I could have the keyboard if the buyer of the machine didn't want it. He ended up pulling the add from Craigslist tried some auction places and ended selling the machine to someone for parts. He was nice enough to hold his end of the bargain and keep the mice and keyboards for me. I went and picked them up from him near San Diego earlier today.

Offline E3E

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 23:20:45 »
This was from a craigslist ad in socal. Guy was trying to sell his whole Docutech 135 for $1000. Thing was like 20' long. I contacted him and asked him if I could have the keyboard if the buyer of the machine didn't want it. He ended up pulling the add from Craigslist tried some auction places and ended selling the machine to someone for parts. He was nice enough to hold his end of the bargain and keep the mice and keyboards for me. I went and picked them up from him near San Diego earlier today.

That's cool. Makes the second trackball I've seen then. It's a very sick looking peripheral, haha. How much did it run you if you don't mind my asking? Did he end up just giving it to you for free?

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 23:39:46 »
Pm'd you about the price. I bought it.

I wouldn't mind mailing the track ball mouse to you, so you can check it out for a bit. It is surprisingly robust. I was surprised by it. I have always hated track ball mice, but I like the feel of this one. Heavy and (like the label on the bottom says) has a very "tactile" feel. Lol

Just so long as you mail it back to me eventually.  :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 23:52:43 by HouseofSuffering »

Offline E3E

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 00:03:49 »
Pm'd you about the price. I bought it.

I wouldn't mind mailing the track ball mouse to you, so you can check it out for a bit. It is surprisingly robust. I was surprised by it. I have always hated track ball mice, but I like the feel of this one. Heavy and (like the label on the bottom says) has a very "tactile" feel. Lol

Just so long as you mail it back to me eventually.  :D

Haha! Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. I hate holding onto people's stuff, but I feel like I have to at least try it out at some point. :D Thanks for the offer, man!

Sounds like an amazing trackball. I've actually never used a one before at all, so it'd be a first for me, lol.

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 00:20:48 »
Yeah, no worries. Then you can know for sure if you want to still pursue getting one for yourself and how much you would be willing to pay for it.

I am going to take the whole setup to the next California meet-up, which I think is this weekend. Then after that I will mail it to you to check out in person.

Offline E3E

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 01:04:54 »
Yeah, no worries. Then you can know for sure if you want to still pursue getting one for yourself and how much you would be willing to pay for it.

I am going to take the whole setup to the next California meet-up, which I think is this weekend. Then after that I will mail it to you to check out in person.

Sweet, that all sounds pretty awesome. I know some others in CA have a DocuTech, but it's a pretty big state. I'm curious what people think of it, haha.

I'll be here whenever you're wanting to ship it out, good sir!  :thumb:

Offline nateth

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 19:20:40 »
Apologies for resurrecting something this old, but I figure given the nature of the topic it's appropriate. I've been dormant for a while due to a lot of crap going on in my real life. Here are some decent shots I took of the pine board that I just finished cleaning up.

168713-0
168715-1
168717-2
168719-3
168721-4
168723-5

Offline Joebeazelman

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 09:52:33 »
So you left your wallet in El Segundo as collateral for the keyboard?  Not a bad trade!   ;)