Author Topic: My Keyboard Story  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Ugly Genius

My Keyboard Story
« on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 12:24:42 »
Hello, everybody!

Here's my keyboard story.
I got into PC gaming back in 2000.  In those days, mechanical keyboards were not as readily available, or, more precicely, their benefits over rubber dome keyboards were not as loudly trumpted.  So I gamed on and generally liked Microsoft's Natural Keyboard Pro.  (Even to this day, me being neck-deep in mechanical keyboards, the Natural Keyboard Pro still has a soft spot in my heart.)
I gamed like that until mid-2006, maybe.
Then, for reasons to boring and personal to spell out here, I stopped gaming and lost all touch with the PC hardware scene.
Fast forward to earlier this year.  After having my first child, and spending way more time at home than I was used to, I decided to build a new rig.
My initial thought was to reused my trusty old Natural Keyboard Pro (that still works like a champ), but decided instead to get a new keyboard, the Microsoft Sidewinder x4.
I did not like that keyboard.  I cannont articulate what in particular I disliked about it; maybe it was all based on a hunch that there was something out there that was better.
It turns out that there was.
The first keyboard I came across was the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate.  Now remember, I started gaming back in 2000.  Back then, Razer was a well-respected mouse manufacturer.  Their Boomslang was the first and only gaming mouse available.  So with this pedigree in mind, I picked up the BWU and generally loved it.
However, the Cherry Blue MX switches, which initally had me so enthralled with their tactile clickiness, soon began to feel gimmicky.
So I researched other options.
After reading all the guides about Cherry MX switches, I settled upon a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns.
For the first three weeks, I loved this keyboard.
However, much like with the Cherry MX Blues, the tactile feedback inherent in the Brown key switch began to feel like an uneccessary contrivance and more like a mechancal defect than a feature.  (When people describe Browns as Reds with sand poured into them, they are right on the mark, in my experience.)
Liking the Filco build quality, I opted for one with Cherry MX Reds.  Ahh, perfection.
Cherry MX Reds are the best switch for me.  Light, simple, and no uncessary gimmicks.  Just a key switch that sounds and feels sublime.
Shortly thereafter, I read on this forum about the unbranded QuickFire Rapids.  Curiosity got the better of me and I ordered one (with Cherry MX Reds, of course) from Amazon.  I while I loved the Filco, I absolutely adore the my QFR.  It's build quality is as good, if not better, than that of my Filcos, and the fact that it's cheaper....

I'd like to eventually get into the keycaps game, but the farthest I've gotten are some Filco lavendar WASD keys.  If you have any advice, I'm all ears.

Anyway, for simplicity's sake:
Matematically and chronologically, my keyboard story can be expressed thusly:
Rubber Dome < Cherry MX Blues < Cherry MX Browns < Cherry MX Reds ∴ Cherry MX Reds = The Best Thing ever!

Anyway, that's my story.  Thank you to everyone who writes on this forum!  I've leared so much from many of you.

UG
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 12:30:39 by Ugly Genius »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: My Keyboard Story
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 12:29:35 »
Nice story. Glad you found your switch on the 3rd try. Some people take 10+ (including going back to the same switch several times).

Welcome to posting on GH!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Viz

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 12:45:26 »
Nice story.
I hope you played some Quake back then :>

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:54:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Your persistence has paid off, now start customising it ... ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 17:23:39 »
That was quite the lovely story my friend.

I find that you and I share a rather similar story. Starting with the BWU with no knowledge of mechanical switches, then finding that I like it less and less over time. So I spent months researching and drooling over the keyboards people on GH have. And then I finally moved past the BWU.

Welcome to GH (:
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 06:02:52 »
A Keyboard Story you say....

Your inequality has no topres or alps or anything else. I think your argument is not sound/complete.

Also Welcome = )
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2012, 06:04:33 by hazeluff »
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 12:33:36 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 19:36:47 »
I hate blues with a passion. However, my true love is that of browns, theyr so dreamy to mah fingers! Anyways, welcome! And that was quite an interesting story, I may grab a QFR if thet make one with cherry greeeeeeeeeeens =]

Offline tillertow

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:30:08 »
I'm feeling the same, reds are the best for me.
Tried blacks, and blues in the past
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:50:42 »
I really am falling in love with the Cherry reds but I seem to make less typos on the browns, thus higher productivity. Gaming on the reds is just heavenly though... your guy just "moves around" on the screen instinctively, where with the browns everthing seems limited by the tactile bump. On the other hand when I use Browns, I rock on Typeracer. Hoping to fully get used to the reds with practice, and achieve my average ~90 WPM :) (currently hitting about 70 WPM with reds, 90WPM with browns)
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline skryl

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 18:01:10 »
Welcome...
Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Brown | Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Blue | SIIG Minitouch XM White | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red | Ducky 1087 XM Green | Leopold FC200R MX Red | Apple M0116 Salmon Alps | Realforce 86U Topre

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:38:54 »
I started with that microsoft board, with a hefty background in gaming as well, haha memories but ill never go back, Reds are the boobs. Welcome to Geekhack!
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)