Author Topic: What's cooking?  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Mouse

What's cooking?
« on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 17:33:53 »
Hey there geekhack, I'm Mouse.

A friend of mine is a lurker here, and he's been ranting at me about keycaps for years. Specifically, that I should make them. I spent five years as a dental laboratory technician, and it seems that a lot of the skills I used there are going to be pretty applicable to printing money making keycaps. The materials are different, but similar enough that I think I should do okay. I've been reading threads on here for a little while, and I finally created an account. At some point I might try selling these, but I have pretty viciously high standards for my work, and I'm going to have to meet those standards before I start selling stuff.

As for my own mechanical keyboard... fetish... it's pretty mild. I have a couple Steelseries 6Gv2's, both the black switches and the red switches, currently using the red. I like making stuff, because, it's fun I guess? Anyway, I bought some materials yesterday and have started playing with them to get a feel for them, and I'm pretty pleased with the accuracy of the reproduction I'm getting.

I'm going to be playing with casting, and that's probably going to take some time. Most of my experience is with high-temp metal casting, and this is very different.

Just thought I'd stop in and say hello!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: What's cooking?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 18:29:19 »
Keycaps are cooking! Welcome to Geekhack  :)

Hope to see you around in our making stuff together! subforum.

You could definitely make keycaps with metal casting, though seeing as resin casting is new to you this will be nice to watch. Very neat idea with that cap you've made!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 06:12:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Did you make that black keycap?  Or just used it to form your molds?  Because if you did make it, it looks fantastic!

Sounds like you might be on to something anyway - I suspect a lot of people will be asking you for hints and tips on making stuff, so be prepared for the questions :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mouse

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 06:29:46 »
No, the black keycap is the one I used for my molds. I wish I was that sharp! I'm a bit rusty.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 05:15:03 »
No, the black keycap is the one I used for my molds. I wish I was that sharp! I'm a bit rusty.

Ah, ok.

Still, the molds look nice and clean :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 21:10:55 »
good looking
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 05:32:23 »