Author Topic: IBM Space Saving Keyboard "SSK" Model M review (IBM buckling spring)  (Read 12502 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Finally I get to show you an SSK! IBM probably never thought that these would become so popular decades later xD . Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fanpeople

Re: IBM Space Saving Keyboard "SSK" Model M review (IBM buckling spring)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 07:23:38 »
And.... now i regret selling mine.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 23:30:45 »
I sold mine some time back as I realized I just typed way slower with buckling springs and just way too loud for me. Must be cause I am a millennial but are these still as popular as they were  a few years ago? There was a time where everyone seemed to be trying to get one

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 12:27:52 »
Another fantastic vid, thanks!
Keychron Q6 w/ Zeal Clickiez | IBM Model F AT | Leopold FC660C | HHKB Type S

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 22:11:16 »
Great review, as usual :)

Coincidentally I pulled one of mine out on the weekend.  Great to use.

Mine both cost around $200, one is IBM the other is Lexmark.

I'd use it more often, but as I get up at 4:30am and check emails and stuff it would wake everyone else up :))

Is your desk quite thick?  Mine isn't, and the sounds mine makes is a lot more hollow.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 00:07:16 »

I'd use it more often, but as I get up at 4:30am and check emails and stuff it would wake everyone else up :))

Is your desk quite thick?  Mine isn't, and the sounds mine makes is a lot more hollow.
not super thick mate, it's IKEA xD .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:28:27 »

Odd - perhaps bolt-modding makes more of a difference than I suspected.

Mine are not (as far as I know), and don't need it, apart from a rattly Esc on the Lexmark.  But on my cheap 1cm thick small wooden desk they both sound as hollow as anything.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:33:31 »

Odd - perhaps bolt-modding makes more of a difference than I suspected.

Mine are not (as far as I know), and don't need it, apart from a rattly Esc on the Lexmark.  But on my cheap 1cm thick small wooden desk they both sound as hollow as anything.
Prettu sure I did a video where I compared typing sounds of bolt-modded v unmodded Ms - listen for yourself! :)

Offline flurryvelvet

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 08:18:14 »
And.... now i regret selling mine.

Oh dear me...