Author Topic: [GB] Round 1: CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (CLOSED)  (Read 235242 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
any update on a possible Bluetooth PCB gb?

the case is alu it probably wouldn't work

I thought there was already a bt pcb developed that uses a carbon fiber plate to allow the signal out?

im not sure if that would work but honestly i have no idea
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (Shipping done!)
« Reply #901 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 04:10:40 »
Hi everyone. IC thread for new round just posted.

Please check it here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96401.0

We'll update more info gradually. :thumb:

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

I thought there was already a bt pcb developed that uses a carbon fiber plate to allow the signal out?

We'll make some modifications for plate to make it possible. ;D

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (Shipping done! New round IC posted)
« Reply #903 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 23:15:10 »
This is purely amazing.

Offline SparkSnacker

« Reply #904 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:17:12 »
I've finally put together my CA66 (what a beauty), and I'm having some issues flashing the hex file on my Mac as detailed here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U6TFRDjKWoeqEisg14OWFIzY4lis2L2L/view

When I get to "7. Press and hold the esc and plug the ca66 keyboard to your mac."

It says "Display all 1410 possibilities? (y or n)"

And when I continue to ./bootloadHID ca66.hex, I get this error:

"Error opening HIDBoot device: The specified device was not found"

Any tips on how to identify the device to the bootloaderHID?

Or, better yet, a more thorough guide on flashing it for a mac?

Thanks guys!   :)

Offline child

« Reply #905 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:21:08 »
Are you sure you are holding escape? This message would indicate it's Tab that you are holding.

Offline SparkSnacker

« Reply #906 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:39:56 »
OMG that was it: I was holding down `Esc` on my laptop keyboard, not on my CA66 :facepalm:

Thank you!

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.

There was already a GB for this, and yes, it did work.

Does anyone know anything about the “CAD66” BLE PCB that’s compatible with the CA66? Saw some pictures on Reddit but don’t know where to get one.

A tiny little bit, it's a dual mode replacement pcb that is bluetooth enabled and USB capable, replaces the LED strip with an LED matrix that is individually addressable, and is Alps comptible. the original group buy came with a pcb, carbon fiber replacement plate (to allow signal transmission), and a battery. original group buy was on taobao, and is over. there may be another buy in the near future...

Offline random0987

« Reply #908 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 22:43:53 »
Sad news- add me to the growing list of people with a bricked PCB. Here’s what happened and what I’ve tried:

1 - use CA66 happily for a couple of months,
2 - watching full screen video on desktop computer running Windows 10,
3 - hear USB disconnect sound, lights on CA66 turn on and are all white (I had them turned off previously, they only lit when holding the function key)
4 - error message, "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."
5 - each time I plug into a different computer I get the same error message,
6 - attempt to re-flash with eeprom reset and ca66 hex files. Hold down “ESC” and plug in, no error message, but both boot loader and QMK toolbox software are unable to find a device to flash

Has anyone found a workaround or discovered the cause? I hope others can avoid these issues if we are able the identify what is going wrong.

Offline typischt

« Reply #909 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 20:57:59 »
Finally came around to build the CA66 and it really is super nice and beautiful! I will post pictures soon, want to customize a little first (since I just now finished it). :D
Question: I want to "port" the board to QMK. But since I'm a beginner still with QMK, I wonder if the default TMK file is somewhere available for download? Or can I somehow download the Hex file from the keyboard? Just in case something is going wrong.
One other thing: I built it with split spacebar and am using SA keycaps and I have the problem that the "right" spacebar (2.75U) is sometimes slightly touching the case. It's not too bad, but it doesn't feel all that well. Anyone with the same setup and problem?

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #910 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 21:16:03 »
Finally came around to build the CA66 and it really is super nice and beautiful! I will post pictures soon, want to customize a little first (since I just now finished it). :D
Question: I want to "port" the board to QMK. But since I'm a beginner still with QMK, I wonder if the default TMK file is somewhere available for download? Or can I somehow download the Hex file from the keyboard? Just in case something is going wrong.
One other thing: I built it with split spacebar and am using SA keycaps and I have the problem that the "right" spacebar (2.75U) is sometimes slightly touching the case. It's not too bad, but it doesn't feel all that well. Anyone with the same setup and problem?
Why do you want to port it? It's already available on the QMK repo.

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/playkbtw/ca66

Offline typischt

« Reply #911 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 21:19:25 »

Ah sorry, I used the wrong word ofc. What I meant was the bootloader thing: Don‘t I have to do something with it to be able to use QMK? I read something a few pages back, but I might not have read this correctly..

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #912 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 21:25:09 »

Ah sorry, I used the wrong word ofc. What I meant was the bootloader thing: Don‘t I have to do something with it to be able to use QMK? I read something a few pages back, but I might not have read this correctly..
No worries, go the first post >FEATURES OF PCB> Flashing Guide. Choose either Mac/Windows and that'll have all the info you need. All you need is a hex file.

If you don't have know how to compile a hex someone might be able to pass one along. Are you familiar with compiling?

Edit: Actually QMK configurator has the ca66 so you should just be able to use that:)

https://config.qmk.fm/#/playkbtw/ca66/LAYOUT
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 July 2018, 21:32:41 by donut_sauce »

Offline sysfury

« Reply #913 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 15:43:27 »

They are M2.5*5.

What is the size of the larger case screws?

Offline TennisShoeNinja

« Reply #914 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 15:29:54 »
Im late to the party.... when is round 2?

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #915 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 16:30:40 »
Im late to the party.... when is round 2?

He hasn't announce it yet.  But keep an eye out in the IC thread.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96401.0

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #916 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 04:21:26 »
I was going through the build log photos and noticed this switch modding aid tool: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149475414@N03/36687692440/in/album-72157688199776126/

Does anyone know where I could get one of those?
pls gief bbv2

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #917 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 23:26:55 »
I was going through the build log photos and noticed this switch modding aid tool: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149475414@N03/36687692440/in/album-72157688199776126/

Does anyone know where I could get one of those?

Looks like just a laser cut piece of acrylic with cherry switchtop opening cutouts. talk to Jordi over at https://stratakb.com/ or pretty much anyone who owns or has access to a laser cutter...

Offline euphxenos

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #919 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 10:15:23 »
Edit: Nvm wrong thread
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 September 2018, 11:16:34 by slxdegrees »

Offline JP

« Reply #920 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 10:02:10 »
I just got my Round 1 CA66 and I am getting USB power surge issues. I've never seen this on any other board with my Dell laptop. Is my PCB bad? Am I better off getting a new round 2 pcb?

Edit: I am thinking the cable is to blame. Will order a new high USB C cable factory built to spec rather than something I bought from some random person online that happened to look cool...
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2018, 11:23:51 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #921 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:08:48 »
Sad news- add me to the growing list of people with a bricked PCB. Here’s what happened and what I’ve tried:

1 - use CA66 happily for a couple of months,
2 - watching full screen video on desktop computer running Windows 10,
3 - hear USB disconnect sound, lights on CA66 turn on and are all white (I had them turned off previously, they only lit when holding the function key)
4 - error message, "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."
5 - each time I plug into a different computer I get the same error message,
6 - attempt to re-flash with eeprom reset and ca66 hex files. Hold down “ESC” and plug in, no error message, but both boot loader and QMK toolbox software are unable to find a device to flash

Has anyone found a workaround or discovered the cause? I hope others can avoid these issues if we are able the identify what is going wrong.

Same here. I have a second PCB, but I'm hesitant to build it up now unless the source for the problem is figured out. I don't want to brick another PCB.

Offline fer.real

« Reply #922 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:38:58 »
I have had this happen to me, but I was able to recover the board by reflashing the firmware.  Windows showed an error that a device (the keyboard) was using too much power.  This makes me believe that the failure was due to a bad USB-C cable.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #923 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 12:00:30 »
I have had this happen to me, but I was able to recover the board by reflashing the firmware.  Windows showed an error that a device (the keyboard) was using too much power.  This makes me believe that the failure was due to a bad USB-C cable.
that's a good guess. a bad cable can definitely fry an input device. i had a bad micro-usb fry my intuos tablet.

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #924 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 08:20:53 »
Well, my second PCB is now exhibiting the same issue. LED strip lights up white, won't go into bootloader mode, totally non-responsive. I have a BT and regular PCB ordered from round 2 but I'm not very confident that it won't happen again. Not sure what is causing this issue or if it's been solved in round two. If anyone's had any luck bringing a PCB back from this please let me know, I'd really rather not desolder these Tealios for the second time.

Offline fer.real

« Reply #925 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 20:29:17 »
Now I've joined the club.  I have a CA66 from this round and have had two PCBs die on me.  I'm using the keyboard on a 1st gen Surface Book.  The second board died within a few days of use, the first one lasted longer.

The first time I had a problem I got an error from Windows that a device was using too much power from the USB port.  After that, the keyboard was unresponsive, but I was able to get it into bootloader mode and reflash the firmware. 

After that, there were a few times that after waking from sleep, the RGB LED animations were frozen and I got an error message that the USB device was not recognized.  I was able to short pin 13 to ground and reset and reflash the firmware.

Finally, it seems the board just died.  The RGB LEDs don't light up, I don't get any notification from windows and the keyboard is totally unresponsive.  The second PCB died this way just a few days after I started using it.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but every time something happened to the keyboard it was when the PC went to sleep.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline DoCallMeKing

« Reply #926 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 22:23:15 »
When you say “this round” do you mean the 1st round, or the round that hasn’t shipped yet?

Offline fer.real

« Reply #927 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:29:40 »
When you say “this round” do you mean the 1st round, or the round that hasn’t shipped yet?

This is the thread for the 1st round on geekhack.

Offline DoCallMeKing

« Reply #928 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 09:40:00 »
Gotcha, just wanted to make sure.
Has anyone heard if the new pcb’s have any changes to make them more reliable?
Thanks

Offline nill

« Reply #929 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 11:49:06 »
Was anyone able to fix one of their PCBs? I'm sad after mine bricked after 6h of use...
CA66 // HHKB // TINA-C // FC980M

<< LINEARS OR BUST >>

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #930 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 12:25:23 »
Add me to the growing list as well of PCB problems. Mine just started doing this. I'll be working and all of sudden get a Windows 10"USB Device" error and the keyboard will become unresponsive. Unplugging it and then plugging it back in solves the problem but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it gets bricked.

What's odd is that it's been fine since I got it and it's happening all of a sudden. Same computer, same usb cable, just started happening. 

Offline fer.real

« Reply #931 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 13:04:48 »
Add me to the growing list as well of PCB problems. Mine just started doing this. I'll be working and all of sudden get a Windows 10"USB Device" error and the keyboard will become unresponsive. Unplugging it and then plugging it back in solves the problem but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it gets bricked.

What's odd is that it's been fine since I got it and it's happening all of a sudden. Same computer, same usb cable, just started happening.

That's exactly what happened to me.  It is just a matter of time.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #932 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 01:31:50 »
Hi guys,

Sorry to hear those bricked situations happened to some PCBs. :(

Since it's been a while after the first round CA66s have been shipped we will have after-sale service for those PCBs (before 2019.1.1):
1. If you bought 2 pieces of PCBs, we will offer one for free for replacement
2. If you got 1, then it will be half price.

Thanks! :thumb:

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #933 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:00:40 »
Hi guys,

Since it's been a while after the first round CA66s have been shipped we will have after-sale service for those PCBs (before 2019.1.1):

Have any modifications been made to the PCB for round 2?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline fer.real

« Reply #934 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:05:42 »
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for doing this!  You are really willing to stand behind your work.

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #935 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 07:17:53 »
Hi guys,

I got my CA66 secondhand, can I still get a new PCB? I'm willing to pay full price for it since I wasn't part of the original group buy.

Offline nill

« Reply #936 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 16:45:21 »
Same here. I just got my CA66 secondhand, and it shorted after just a few days. My main priority is getting a functional PCB, so would gladly pay in full (though it would be nice to have access to a discount, if at all possible).

Thanks! Looking forward to finally getting my dream board up and rolling :)
CA66 // HHKB // TINA-C // FC980M

<< LINEARS OR BUST >>

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #937 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 06:32:13 »
How can I avoid breaking mine when I build it? Got it second hand, thankfully I bought a couple pcbs in the new round.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2019, 06:35:34 by lakeboredom »

Offline child

« Reply #938 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 12:15:07 »
Mine worked fine for almost a year, but recently - probably encouraged by the posts in this thread - it started acting weirdly. I had to replug it sometimes, the LEDs sometimes went on by themselves and in last days it caused other USB devices to crash (at least I suspect the keyboard to be the reason). Finally the rightmost column died completely and the other symptoms stopped happening (but I'll wait some more days just to be certain).

The keyboard is bearable for me in current state (because I rarely use rightmost column), but of course I would rather have it fully functional (instead of being afraid of it dying completely any moment), so I'm looking forward to replacement PCBs.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #939 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 12:31:42 »
So my second round 1 PCB resurrected after plugging in again on a whim...
This kind of thing makes me feel like keyboards run on magic. I may have to burn it for being a witch.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #940 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 15:48:45 »
WKL should have a logo badge n top left corner
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #941 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 16:46:18 »
WKL should have a logo badge n top left corner
It's a bit late for suggestions, IC ended a long time ago

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #942 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 08:41:24 »
Mine worked fine for almost a year, but recently - probably encouraged by the posts in this thread - it started acting weirdly. I had to replug it sometimes, the LEDs sometimes went on by themselves and in last days it caused other USB devices to crash (at least I suspect the keyboard to be the reason). Finally the rightmost column died completely and the other symptoms stopped happening (but I'll wait some more days just to be certain).

The keyboard is bearable for me in current state (because I rarely use rightmost column), but of course I would rather have it fully functional (instead of being afraid of it dying completely any moment), so I'm looking forward to replacement PCBs.
This is exactly what happened to me 5 minute ago. I just got to work and now my right most column + LEDs don't register but everything else works fine. I now have a 60% lol.

UPDATE: ok so now the q row just died and the keyboard is officially out of service.

I'm curious to know what's causing this issue on these PCBs. I have had issues with PCBs in the past where I've had to bridge a pad or fix some soldering but it's one time thing. You fix it and it's good to go but this pcb seems to keep deteriorating more and more over time. Wonder what's the cause.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:35:41 by donut_sauce »

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #943 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 08:42:40 »
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for this. How should we go about doing this? PM on GH, email? I bought 2 PCBs in the first round.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #944 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:32:13 »
Could be weakened solder joints on some diodes.  I would carefully (on lower soldering iron temperature, suitable for SMD components) reflow the solder on all the diodes.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline kelasol

« Reply #945 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:42:25 »
I had an issue with the q-row, or more specifically just the 'q' key not working at times when I first built my ca66. It was pretty mystifying as all the solder/joints looked good. What got it working was really making sure the ribbon cable was fully and correctly inserted into the daughter pcb-port; it's possible that could loosen over time if not initially seated correctly. May not be the problem in some cases, but worth a shot to check since it's an easy adjustment! Good luck!

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #946 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:45:04 »
I'm curious to know what's causing this issue on these PCBs. I have had issues with PCBs in the past where I've had to bridge a pad or fix some soldering but it's one time thing. You fix it and it's good to go but this pcb seems to keep deteriorating more and more over time. Wonder what's the cause.

Yeah I would also really like to know what the problem is with the old pcbs that has been rectified in the new pcbs. I think a lot of people would like to know...

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for this. How should we go about doing this? PM on GH, email? I bought 2 PCBs in the first round.

Most likely they’ll open up orders on their site after the current buy is over and before they list extras for sale. But it would be nice to know if that’s how it’ll be or if there will be some other procedure. And what can be done for the people that have bought second hand.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #947 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:52:22 »
Could be weakened solder joints on some diodes.  I would carefully (on lower soldering iron temperature, suitable for SMD components) reflow the solder on all the diodes.
Thanks for this info, I'll give this a shot this weekend.

I had an issue with the q-row, or more specifically just the 'q' key not working at times when I first built my ca66. It was pretty mystifying as all the solder/joints looked good. What got it working was really making sure the ribbon cable was fully and correctly inserted into the daughter pcb-port; it's possible that could loosen over time if not initially seated correctly. May not be the problem in some cases, but worth a shot to check since it's an easy adjustment! Good luck!
I'll give this a go as well. Worth trying since it's pretty easy. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:55:03 by donut_sauce »

Offline King4477

« Reply #948 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 21:22:23 »
For anyone out there still experiencing PCB issues, try running QMK if you aren’t already.

My first PCB bricked on me about 4 months in. On my second PCB, after a few months of use, I started noticing similar issues as several of you are mentioning here: my “S” key or the four vertical keys on the right would randomly stop working, and wouldn’t work again until I unplugged the USB and plugged back in. Both were running the TMK firmware and layouts made with the YD Keymap Builder.

Decided that it if was going to die, I was going to at least try running QMK on since keymap.c files for the CA66 started showing up on github. Since switching over I have not had a single similar issue arise. Only complaint is that I can’t seem to get the caps lock LED to work.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #949 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 05:30:01 »
For anyone out there still experiencing PCB issues, try running QMK if you aren’t already.

My first PCB bricked on me about 4 months in. On my second PCB, after a few months of use, I started noticing similar issues as several of you are mentioning here: my “S” key or the four vertical keys on the right would randomly stop working, and wouldn’t work again until I unplugged the USB and plugged back in. Both were running the TMK firmware and layouts made with the YD Keymap Builder.

Decided that it if was going to die, I was going to at least try running QMK on since keymap.c files for the CA66 started showing up on github. Since switching over I have not had a single similar issue arise. Only complaint is that I can’t seem to get the caps lock LED to work.

I still have my CA66 kit boxed and waiting on an opportunity to sit down and build it, but I've followed developments regarding these issues with great interest. Thanks for making this important point! Hopefully someone better skilled at QMK could add the necessary polish for it to be fully workable.