Author Topic: Too close to display?  (Read 7451 times)

Offline typo

Too close to display?
« on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 05:02:44 »
I setup my new 32" display about 9" from my eyes. Since then my neck has been sore. I am sitting in an Embody. I was wondering if I have the display to close to me or if I probably just have it adjusted wrong? If anyone happened to read what display I have, it has a myriad of adjustments on the stock stand so I am not sure if it is not adjusted correctly or simply that I am just too close to it. If I am too close to it how many inches away from my eyes would you put it. This is for critical 3D work.  Or what I might adjust? It pretty much has adjustments in every possible direction and then some. Thank you

Offline fanpeople

Re: Too close to display?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 05:09:41 »
I don't remember neck pain but when I went from like a 20 inch to a 32 inch, my eyes were about to explode. It took a few weeks for them to adjust. Are you looking up more than you usually would?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 05:34:17 »
about 9" from my eyes

There's your problem. A reasonable distance would be at least thrice as long.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 06:08:42 »
You'd want at least 2 feet  for ANY display..  Ideally you want to pull that out to 1.5 meters..

The eyes have a resting focus range and resting vergence  of ~1 meter..

This is the point where the eye lens ciliary muscles and the (eyeball) extraocular muscles  are relaxed.

So the best size display is ~ 45-60 inch, at 1.5 to 2 meters.

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 07:16:04 »
Yes straining neck looking up. I figured I was too close. I also figured I would "see more". dumb.

Okay, TP I have a 32" though. Does the same rule apply? Or how far in Feet or Meters should I be from it?

Without starting another thread, then how close should ones chair be to the edge of the keyboard? Currently my chest is touching the keyboard and I feel I am too close there as well. I am sure this has ben asked a million times. I believe the answer is that your elbows should point straight down at your sides while on Home Row?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:10:41 »
Relative to the eye,  the focal distance and resting vergence does not change.. it's always ~1 meter out.

with 32 inch, you can't be that far, because you just won't be able to read the screen even at 2560x1600.

So, the optimization is , as far as possible such that you can still read text on your interface.

If possible, use dpi scaling to make the interface bigger. (software dependent)

For seating, and desk height..  resting shoulder, desk height 2.5 inches below bent elbow.

Without split keyboard, this is a bit difficult, because standard keyboards force you to pull your arms forward to some degree..

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:54:57 »
Thanks. Desk height was set right. I have my chest 4" from the edge of he keyboard tray. Much better than touching it. I placed the display 28" from my eyes and am much more comfortable now. I really wrenched my neck up that close. I imagine it will just go away in a couple of days. I got this from the brilliant people at THX whom state absurdly close distances to displays.  It is not comfortable.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 04:09:32 »
Man, I was way too close. That was sheer stupidity. At now 30" I am feeling fine and no trouble reading it at all. BTW TP, If you thought the Eizo was a lot check out 2x GV-100 and 4X E7 Xeon. 512gb DDR5 on mainboard. 62 Terabytes, 14 SSSD U.2. This makes me a living though it is not like I play games on it. Actually it would suck at gaming. I am not some brat with a big computer and too old to be a brat anyways but this facilitates my income. I was not bragging either. I was just saying check it out it is fascinating. I know you like specs and stuff. Anyways the fact I put the display 9" from my eyes is pretty unlike me. I know better. Chair setup good desk right. Good to go. Had to readjust with new display. OH, it is 4K not 2560x1600. Still, too close is a lousy experience. Lucky my neck got better so fast. THX must be idiots.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:33:28 »
I think THX made the system based on the distance where the human eye can just barely blend the width of 2 pixels. 

This doesn't make much sense for TVs because we can make the pixels super small these days.

It's the same arc limiter they use for apple's retina display.

Does the eizo have black frame insertion ?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:43:14 »
I think THX made the system based on the distance where the human eye can just barely blend the width of 2 black frame insertion ?

:blank:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:13:10 »
I think THX made the system based on the distance where the human eye can just barely blend the width of 2 black frame insertion ?

/Shakes head with a stern crooked smile.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:16:20 »

/Shakes head with a stern crooked smile.

Yeah so i was meant to delete everything from that except black frame insertion. It was meant to be a pee pee faunication thing but clearly i forgot to erase the words.

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 05:00:00 »
Not sure what "black frame insertion" is or if this display has it. If it is not state of the art I doubt it LOL.

Offline vvp

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 06:56:47 »
It is a nonsense if you work mostly with text. Tp4 is joking with you.