Author Topic: [updated] please recommend me a pre-built or a baby's 1st pseudo-custom  (Read 1746 times)

Offline no1

do not fret, i have a flail at the ready to punish myself for my devious ways, but i must indulge..

ok geeks, i have a challenge for you:
recommend me a pre-built board that meets the following criteria:

- sub 200€
- in stock
- ships from europe
- mx browns
- full size
- will not break in 6 months like corsair might
- per key rgb

extra points if
- dedicated media keys (3 is enough)
- ISO layout (not necessary but i prefer it)

if you can realize miracles
- with BT connectivity (ye not gonna happen unless something above is forsaken, but suggest away)

PS: i am serious, i understand this might be aggravating for some of you, but i did come here cus a lot of ppl here are experts on the matter of keyboards, there's no better place to ask.. i have done some research on the subject and i am not 100% ignorant on the field. i know i am not gonna be able to buy topre switches, i know i should just buy an anne pro 2... i am considering a ducky one 2 full size at the moment. have looked at filco.. and leopold.. i don't like the rainbow bs gamers seem to be mindwashed about but i do like colour coding keys and typing in the dark is just asking for a ruined eysight which i do not want so do not worry. i don't mind light bleed, or "bad looks".. taste is subjective and i am a mere pleb that likes the shiny.
my current board lasted 9years. got it for 50€. so i'm not trying to get the best thing under the sun, just something durable with a couple bells and whistles. seems to much to ask in these times, i've never seen so much "out of stock" notices in my life..
so, can you kindly help?
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:01:30 by no1 »

Offline yui

Re: please recommend me a pre-built
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 05:18:31 »
the ducky one 2 should be in stock pretty much everywhere in Europe, has a rather stellar reputation, is in budget and exists in ISO.
an other option if you want to tinker later on would be a GMMK, cheaper and hotswap but not as good in the quality department.
if you can find it Varmillo does make iso 110% keyboards but i am not sure if they have RGB (as i do not care about RGB i did not look at it in my research) and if you are willing to drop the Europe requirement it can be ordered custom from them directly, but is out of budget for most options.

i only chime in with iso boards because well i can't deal with ANSI so my searches centered around the ISO nature and in the end those were the 3 runner up.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline no1

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 06:12:27 »
problem with importing out of EU is i'd pay 50€+23% VAT and can wait anywhere from a couple days to an entire year for the product to clear customs... the price inflation it weighs on a product due to tax makes it more viable to find a more expensive option within continent often.

ty for the suggestions tho!
honestly the anne pro 2 is looking more and more alluring by the picosecond. gonna review the GMMK again, surprisingly, finding duckys in stock, in the right settings isn't that easy. since there's so many different layouts in EU. i'm buying new keycaps but would be great to recycle as many as possible to drive down the cost. waiting on replies from local shops as to when they'll get back stock in my local layout. (basically just want to dodge the DE layout, UK or US eng is fine, as is ES, FR also changes a lot of things..)

i am hoping i'll be able to change some layout-specific caps, and slot in some customs ones i have filling them with 2 layouts worth of legend so that i could use the same board for 2 different layouts in software without changing hardware. when coding or for most web typing it's nice to go to eng layout, but when doing native stuff i need local.

Offline no1

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 08:55:52 »
update (tho nobody cares):

so i am now heavily leaning on the wooting two he, EPOMAKER GK68XS, or the anne pro 2..

wooting has actual unique functionality that is rather useful in several scenarios, is not wireless tho. has hotswap switches, seems durable.

the gk68xs and AP2 are both wireless and more or less the same with the gk68xs having hotswapable switches while the ap2 doesn't, for a few more coins. which brings it ahead since that makes it more durable and quality seems a bit better in terms of materials, ofc u pay for it.

keychrons are on the table as they meet all the criteria before while having more keys, unsure about them having per key customisable rgb tho, still researching...
ducky is now out of question. GMMK is too as it lacks the wholes for the 2 secure mount pins in some hotswap switchesas is anything else it seems

Offline Los Angeles

Re: [updated] please recommend me a pre-built or a baby's 1st pseudo-custom
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:29:02 »
Epomaker looks pretty good to me, hot swappable + nice keycaps and useful keys  for 100 bucks.
Anne Pro 2 isnt great, i've started having issues such as double or tripple presses after 8 months of good care and perfect condition ( idk mb mine was faulty )
Ya got me considering to get the Epomaker one but im aint sure, its 68 keys meaning its 68%? and Tofu cases are for 65 and 60 only. So yea
Upd: plus Epomaker provides braded cables with a 100 bucks keyboard, defo go for it mate :)

Offline no1

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:43:42 »
ok, im taking anne of the table based on that. fun fact, there's an epomaker anne pro2.. maybe u might be into that? leaping to that cus maybe the fact epomaker is putting the sticker means the issues from obinslab are not present?!

the gk68xs might fit a 65% case just fine, the 3 extra keys are derived by cannibalizing a full space bar birthing a shorter space bar and 2 extra keys. dig deeper would be my advice, i've seen yt reviews calling it a 65%, as if u don't use the novelty mini space bar it effectively is just an avg 65% size.

right now, wooting two he is leading the race, gk68xs right behind and keychron k8 as fall back.
who will win

wooting has the analog switches that allow for new ways to make macros or different key output based on how u physically touch the keys, as well as allowing u the fastest possible key spam ability known to man, this is possibly the most important feature on a kb ever (/s). being able to use it as an analog midi instrument for music making is neat. full 108 keys.. works on linux.. only wish it had a wireless mode. sigh, there shall never be a perfect kb for me, by the time 1 arrives someone releases a new feature that's nice to have. guess i just need to get a 2nd board later on and solve it with brute force.

gk68xs has it all short of making the keeber myself.. and it's cheap cus of the magic of asia. bless thy souls.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:58:03 »
Since you've got yourself narrowed down to a few options I'll just lend some advice. If you are just looking for a good MKB that will last more than a few years & are not worried about getting into the hobby I would probably go with the wooting. I have never personally tried one, but have heard more good than bad with them & it does offer unique functions you won't find on other boards. If you are looking to get into the hobby, then GK68XS would probably be the better pick just for the plain fact it's hotswap & will allow you to easily try out different switches. GL choosing man!

Offline no1

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 10:30:40 »
tyvm for the advice rob!
i kinda wanted to try having browns as main driver for a while, and the wooting doesn't allow me to introduce tactile (ill never use click switches, i absolutely abhorred them). the jades and creams and all in this world also sound captivating but.. all in all i don't really thin tactile is important for me, i haven't used it as a main before and never felt the need for anything better. i could never touch type, always quit trying to learn it, so i always bottom out unless doing something out of the ordinary and therefor i think the bump would be pointless on me.. i don't even have the intent of bottoming out, i just use reds with the same force as 1 would use blacks or heavier by instinct unless artificially trying to be more gentle. i would like to try switches with less total distance, but there ain't a lot of those and speed switches are bs to do typing on. now the wooting does allow changing the actuation point, and that is not the same as changing switches altogether but it is a solid half way measure.

also found the Durgod Venus, a better anne pro 2 basically. seems pretty cool tho the gk68xs still looks better due to hotswap

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 10:37:54 »
There's no such thing as Crack-Lite.   the best option is to not start doing crack.

Offline no1

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 10:51:20 »
LMAO

wow.. that's.. that's a way to put it.. so you are saying, i should buy both the wooting and the gk68xs.. mhm i agree

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 10:53:29 »
LMAO

wow.. that's.. that's a way to put it.. so you are saying, i should buy both the wooting and the gk68xs.. mhm i agree

Hey man i tried, sooner or later you wake up in the middle of the night with the shakes to get in on a collectible cap,  grinding caps in the middle of the night into a needle.

Steep spiral, you have been warned.