Author Topic: Can We Figure Out What Makes SKCM Blues Different From SKCM Whites  (Read 964 times)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
SKCM (Complicated) Blue ALPS have a lot of hype.

The general consensus is that SKCM Blue ALPS are smoother and less tactile with a deeper click than SKCM White ALPS.

I am still trying to get my hands on some SKCM Blues, but after digging through posts it seems like the biggest difference is that Blues have a larger backplate and possibly different spring.  Some even say there's dry lubricant on blues (where do I get this BTW?). Some say the clicky leaf is different.  Some suggest the slider might even be made of different plastic, though I have not seen any proof.

Can Anyone with these ALPS switches run some tests?

If I take a white slider and place it in Blue housing, will it be the same as blues?  If not, then the plastic must be different.

What about replacing the spring in Blues with one from Whites?

What about just changing the housing (blues have longer backplate)?

If I take a white slider and match it with orange ALPS housing/backplate, will I have something close to Blues?  Orange ALPS (tactile, not clicky) have a larger backplate.  Orange is to Salmon as Blue is to White.  It seems to me that "smoothness" would come from the backplate more than anything.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Re: Can We Figure Out What Makes SKCM Blues Different From SKCM Whites
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 07:35:04 »
Two people—HaaTa and Matt3o—are building force measuring machines. These are the only people who can reliably answer this question, because the difference is too subtle to determine solely by feel. This is really one for jacobolus, as he has an Alps switch collection and (possibly only limited) access to HaaTa's force gauge.

My feeling is that the overall cause is cost cutting, to improve competitiveness with both prestige manufacturers (e.g. Cherry and Futaba) and with the clones. There were a lot of ugly Alps switches that were probably made at lower cost in their overseas subsidiaries (Forward and Gold Star Alps) and this might have had some effect on the overall design, such as the still unknown reason for slit removal around 1993.

However, when handling a switch, it's impossible to reliably gauge change in feel, but if you can measure the force in a machine, you'll get semi-reliable graphs. Graph reliability will be improved with sample size (as Alps switches degrade badly and vary hugely between keyboards, especially white Alps), and weather variation (to address the theory that Alps switches work better in humid conditions). The humidity issue is an interesting one as I've personally noticed distinct variation in feel in my Dell AT102W with hybrid blue Alps (which I very rarely use), but as my human perception is subject to distortion, only a machine is able to give me trustworthy data.

Changes to both plastic and metal parts sounds reasonable. It might not just be cost cutting — it may have also been done to reduce manufacturing time as demands grew.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner