Author Topic: Idea: software developers keyboard.  (Read 13783 times)

Offline flux-yz

Idea: software developers keyboard.
« on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 17:04:35 »
Hey all.
I'm a programmer, developing cross ides, cross operation systems and I had this idea of self adapting keyboard.
I wanted to create a 4x4 macro keyboard with custom firmware and a program that will self adapt according to my working window.
There are so many shortcuts for the same functionality in each ide and I thought I could unify all of those shortcuts to a single button that for example will hold something like jump to next breakpoint.
While I'm switching windows the program will make my keyboard change the layout.

What do you think of this idea? Where would you use it? What shortcuts would you like to have?
It might work for other places but programming.
Thank you all!

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: Idea: software developers keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 17:29:47 »
Most IDEs I've used have the capability of changing shortcuts. Couldn't you just change similar IDE shortcuts to the same key? As long as you are not limited by the IDEs functionalities then that seems to be the easier approach.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline flux-yz

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 02:20:21 »
Most IDEs I've used have the capability of changing shortcuts. Couldn't you just change similar IDE shortcuts to the same key? As long as you are not limited by the IDEs functionalities then that seems to be the easier approach.
It's a good point, but it has its downsides.
A. It is a lot of effort.
B. It's not always possible, for example on Mac, there are some shortcuts that are used by the os, so you cannot override them, And if you will find a way you will lose the comfort of using them on your os.
C. Once another person is using your pc, he won't be able to figure it out. (just like people are looking at my ergodox keyboard with blank key caps and give me this look of how do you use this thing :) )

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Offline Martinsos

• Blog
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 05:36:18 »
Cool initiative :)!!

Personally, as developer that works on different types of projects and sometimes different editors (but not multiple OSes), I also see a couple of problems:
1. If I got it right, this is separate, additional keyboard? That means it will be next to the main keyboard, and to type on it, I will have to move my hand to it. I prefer having such shortcuts that I don't have to move my hand much from the central position.
2. I don't like the idea of being dependent on such additional keyboard - I might go somewhere with my laptop and then I don't want to be missing those extra buttons.
3. As also mentioned above, although I might be using multiple editors, I normally configure them in such way that I always have the same shortcuts.

Offline stefanheisl

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 03:05:53 »
Hello. I like this idea!

I'm not good at programming, so it's hard to say about the possible problems and difficulties in implementing this idea. I'm just a regular keyboard user who loves everything new and interesting.

I think your idea is cool, and if you could bring it to life, I'd really like to take a look at it.

Thank you for your ideas

Offline stefanheisl

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 03:08:36 »
Also, do you have any other brilliant ideas? It inspires me and I want to learn more.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2022, 03:11:36 by stefanheisl »

Offline stefanheisl

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 03:09:50 »
thanks
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2022, 03:14:31 by stefanheisl »

Offline duriko

• ML company
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 03:18:37 »
Cool, I'll try this  :thumb: