Author Topic: DIY Wooden uTron-like  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Galvo

DIY Wooden uTron-like
« on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:27:47 »
Hi everybody!
My name is Luca and I'm a developer from Italy.
I just entered the wonderful world of mechanical keyboards, coming from a Logitech K760.

I spent some time reading about different layouts, switches etc... and I decided to go with the ergo split route.
I prototyped some of the models (Ergodox, Keyboardio...) and I came to the conclusion that the only model that catches my attention is the japanese uTron.
I have quite small hands, and I still have to learn to touch type.
I don't know if I'll go with Qwerty or if I'll jump to Programmer Dvorak...
I use Osx everyday at work and at home, so I have a question for all the uTron owners out there...
What's the best way to adapt the uTron key mappings to a Mac environment?
As you can see in the attached image, the uTorn has keys for switching between Katakana/Hiragana, but these are needed only for Japanese people...

I already bought a Teensy, for the wood section I'm gonna choose something from Italian Walnut, Beech, Maple. Maybe I'll go with a contrasting color scheme, haven't decided yet...
I like clicky mechanical switches so I was going with MX Blues, but I work with other people at the office, so I ordered Matias Quiet Click Tactile switches.
Keycaps will be hand carved from solid wood.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: DIY Wooden uTron-like
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 04:54:36 »
Sounds like a good project. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Hand carving undersized wood caps may be a challenge using MX switches, given the inherent weakness of wood and the thin walls necessary for clearances.

Best wishes and welcome to GH.

Offline Galvo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 05:01:26 »
Sounds like a good project. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Hand carving undersized wood caps may be a challenge using MX switches, given the inherent weakness of wood and the thin walls necessary for clearances.

Best wishes and welcome to GH.

Thanks buddy!
I'll think I'll go slow on this project... I still have to gather all the required parts and learn some electronic  :cool:
I'll use Matias Quiet Click switches, never tried them but I liked the old ALPS in the Apple EKII...
Wood carving is not a problem even if small... don't know if I'm gonna put labels on keys with a pyro...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 05:38:26 »
I hate to be that guy, this sounds like an awesome project, but the u is actually a μ which stands for micro.

Holy moley! Solid wood key caps?! Please keep us updated  :eek:
Chris Schammert

Offline Galvo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 05:53:21 »
I hate to be that guy, this sounds like an awesome project, but the u is actually a μ which stands for micro.

Holy moley! Solid wood key caps?! Please keep us updated  :eek:

Hahaha no problem! :)
As I said I prototyped out of polystyrene some keyboard layouts, and the only one that made me feel really confortable was the uTron...
Btw as you can see I have small hands, so the 17mm pitch between keycaps is fine for me...
129122-0
I really like the symmetry of the layout, but I'm not sure if I prefer a normal or a staggered matrix for the keys...

Offline Galvo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 07:20:09 »
Ok, during these days I've been trying out different prototypes I made out of polystyrene... I am finding comfortable with a split layout, which I never tryed out before.
I am making a custom layout based on my fingers length, and I find the most comfortable layouts are the uTron and keyboardio ones.
I have yet to decide if I need explicit navigation clusters, or if I can move them in a Fn layer...
For me typing must be comfortable during programming at the office...
Any developers out there that can share some experiences?

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 16:34:14 »
I had keyboard wt utron layout not ergo i was expected but it nice layout may it coz wt standart pitch it bother me i need reach more especially for index clusters and numbers row(i may placed it to homerow wt fn layer) may coz my hands small
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2016, 17:12:57 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 16:49:28 »
nvm, misread the op
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Galvo

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 13:28:50 »
I had keyboard wt utron layout not ergo i was expected but it nice layout may it coz wt standart pitch it bother me i need reach more especially for index clusters and numbers row(i may placed it to homerow wt fn layer) may coz my hands small

Yeah, I'm still experimenting, and as you said I am finding more and more comfortable layouts with the thumb cluster...  ;D

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:25:07 »
Lol
Yeah, I'm still experimenting, and as you said I am finding more and more comfortable layouts with the thumb cluster...  ;D
have you try utron layout wt vertical thumb n compare it wt regular thumb?
i just curious
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Galvo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 01:15:18 »
Yes I've tried it, but it doesn't feel much different..