Author Topic: Ways to Silence/Quiet a Keyboard  (Read 2042 times)

Offline vastvosau

Ways to Silence/Quiet a Keyboard
« on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:22:21 »
237967-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
Hey guys, I'm looking to build a keyboard soon that will hopefully be much quieter than my current Corsair Keyboard with Cherry Blues. I have a daughter that is 2 months old that will be sleeping in my office while I work from home. I have ventured into the idea of building a custom keyboard, and a top consideration is how to make sure the keyboard is silent (or at least MUCH more quiet than my current keyboard.)

Above are the 4 ways I have learned to ensure that my keyboard is silent/quiet: wooden/acrylic cases to absorb sound, silent switches (Healios pictured above), foam inserts for the case, and lubing the switches and stabilizers. Any other considerations would be helpful to further ensure a nice quiet KB.

For my build, I'm considering the following:
65% PCB (not sure which one to buy, advice appreciated)
Wooden Case
Healios or Tangerine switches

Offline vastvosau

Re: Ways to Silence/Quiet a Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:24:10 »
Two more questions: does the mounting plate for the switches affect the sound that much, and does the overall weight of the keyboard affect the sound?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 16:49:07 »
I hate to say it, but your best option for silent switches might just be a rubber dome.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 16:52:38 »
I agree.  Personally, I'd go with a scissor switch keyboard or a silenced Topre if it was going to be in the same room as a sleeping baby.  I think my wife would have killed me if I had suggested putting a computer with a mechanical keyboard in the same room as either of my kids. :)  I currently have two keyboards with Cherry MX silent black switches: a Cherry G80-3494 and a DasKeyboard 4 that I customized.  The stabilizers are the loudest part of either of them.  One's a hollow cheap plastic keyboard with PCB-mounted switches and the other is a very solid plastic and metal one with a steel plate, but the stabilizers are by far the thing that makes the most difference in the noise level.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 17:09:18 »
I dunno...Silent MX can be pretty quiet...Still, I don't see how you work in a home office without making noise whether that be the mouse or keyboard (any keyboard).  How do you do a conference call? 

Maybe build a silent box in the room? 

Offline rxc92

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 19:49:18 »
Even R2 silenced Topre is much louder than a scissor switch; there are plenty of nice (and very cheap) scissor switch keyboards you can buy at local stores. There's no reason to use a mechanical keyboard when silence is number one.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 03:21:47 »
I hate to say it, but your best option for silent switches might just be a rubber dome.

Idk bruh my Silent black MX build lubed with 3204 is more silent then all the rubberdomes at my workplace.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Solotov

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 04:40:51 »
Buy mx silent black switch, swap springs to the weight you like, lube those switch and stabs  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 22:03:43 »
Even R2 silenced Topre is much louder than a scissor switch; there are plenty of nice (and very cheap) scissor switch keyboards you can buy at local stores. There's no reason to use a mechanical keyboard when silence is number one.

I've come to realize Realforce stock silent is quite bad (I bought a R2 Silent model), the best silent is if you mod Topre yourself.

I would say get a regular R2 Realforce and then get DESKeys silence rings #3 is the most recommended standard in terms of tactility vs silence, so if you want it to be even quieter I would say go with #4 or #5.

Although if you do everything you listed you should be ok with Cherry style switches too I think.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline psxndc

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 01:01:37 »
I dunno. Zilents are pretty flipping quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ortho. Always.