Author Topic: I replaced the switches in my Poker and made a build log.  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Strelok

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: I replaced the switches in my Poker and made a build log.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 00:07:45 »
Well, I would have taken the switches apart since it wouldn't require desoldering and they are PCB mount. It looks like you bought plate mount greens which is wrong since you don't have the legs to make sure the switch is square
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 00:11:08 »
Well, I would have taken the switches apart since it wouldn't require desoldering and they are PCB mount. It looks like you bought plate mount greens which is wrong since you don't have the legs to make sure the switch is square

This^ I kinda feel bad.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 00:16:55 »
Without those plastic legs for PCB-mounted switches, it might not be perfectly straight when you solder. This will translate to twisted or crooked caps.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 09:15:07 »
Thank you for posting the build log with photos. I'm just now easing into the whole soldering thing and it helps to see other people's work.

Thank you.

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 11:34:29 »
Strelok, how is the end result? Also, can you safely pull keycaps, or do the switches wobble / feel like they'll come off ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 12:28:09 »
Not too bad! You're much better at desoldering than I am. (I'm horrible). and the soldering looks pretty good too.

If you're worried about the plate mount switches, you can install dummy LEDs or wire to secure the switches. I'm pretty sure it won't light up, but it'll secure the switches well enough.