Author Topic: [IC] Mesektet | Not a Rectangle  (Read 7858 times)

Offline sidrow

• listen to Blowback
[IC] Mesektet | Not a Rectangle
« on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 09:24:05 »
    mesektet
    a premium portable board with misguided 40s mindset

interest check form

Details

Mesektet is a 12u, uniform-stagger board, with dedicated Gamer Keys and a 7u spacebar row, designed to be light enough for a daily commute and robust enough for a daily driver. It uses a modified tadpole mount for an even, gentle typing feel, and implements the latest S1 unified daughterboard parallel to the desk for an ultra-low USB-C port.

Because Mesektet was designed for portability and travel, its name and rear engraving nod to an ancient mythological commuter. (Note that in the revised prototype, the engraving has been moved to center over the USB port on the Gamer Row, vs. its original position behind the backspace key.)

Layout Options:
    The 7u spacebar row supports 1/1/3/1/1, 3/1/3, and chad big bar, taking advantage of overlapping switch and stabilizer footprints to keep the plate and PCB hella clean:

More

Specifications:
    • Typing angle: 3º
    • Case materials: TBD, but aluminum and POM are being tested for the top case, and acrylic and PC for the bottom; I'd also love to offer an all-acrylic or all-PC option
    • Plate options: POM will definitely be offered; others TBD—vote for your favorite(s) in the IC form!
    • Mounting: Modified tadpole (see below)
    • PCB: Solder PCB + S1 UDB; configurable with QMK, VIA, and VIAL
    • Front height: 19.6mm (measured from the inside edge of the front bezel, where the cutout for the switches/caps begins)
    • Weight: Approximately 0.62 kg (1.36 lb) built—a breeze to carry in your backpack, briefcase, or bag
    • Other features: Cherry lip; Xonledge (with clearance cuts for stabilizer screws/clips); AKB bumpons

Modified Tadpole Mounting?
    Right, so, as you probably know, tadpole mounting uses silicone pins to compress the switch plate (or PCB, in a plateless implementation) against the top case, with the thick end of the silicone pins acting as bumpers between the plate (or PCB) and bottom case. Mesektet refines this design by adding o-rings around the tadpoles on the top side of the plate, with corresponding cuts in the top case to ensure the o-rings have the same degree of compression as the tadpoles. It looks like this:

More

Similar to the way burger mounting improves on a traditional top mount, this change retains the ease of assembly and even typing feel of a tadpole mount, but better isolates the plate from the top case to eliminate collision noises between the two and improve the board's acoustics.

Current Status (as of January 22, 2024)

Note: I'll be regularly updating this post/thread, but if you want to get pinged for updates as soon as they're available, please join the 40s Discord server and grab the Mesektet role for access to the IC channel.

The IC form is open—click the big link above! (or here!)

The small "friends-and-family" or "founders' edition" style run completed delivery in early November 2023. Feedback has been very positive; thanks everyone who took a chance on this board early on!

However, managing the F&F/FE run out of my apartment was not fun, to say the least, so I'm reaching out to vendors to get some help with the group buy.

For the full update history and to-do list, refer to the next post in this thread.

Group Buy Details

Vendor: TBD

Pricing: TBD (but based on the quotes I've received so far, I believe this will be a budget-friendly board)

GB Dates: TBD

Quantity: TBD (MOQ is tentatively 30 units, but I'd be delighted to go higher!)

Media

Stay tuned! This section will get filled out eventually. (In the meantime, sorry about my phone camera and the terrible lighting in my apartment.)

Acknowledgements

I'm sincerely grateful to all of the following people, whose help in one form or another has made this project possible:
    • My fiancée, for believing in this weird little board, and for everything really
    • keebnewb, for going above and beyond to design and revise the PCB
    • Sleepdealer, who took the PCB across the finish line and converted it to RP2040
    • OCM, for the fantastic engraving and PCB silkscreen
    • BadCactus, for fielding way too many of my unsolicited neurotic DMs to count
    • My manu rep, who is unreasonably responsive, helpful, and friendly
    • Eiiti Wada and PFU Limited (HHKB), Ziptyze (Zlant), Trash Man (V4N4G0N), Fraser (Stag42), Geon (tadpoles), James from AKB (AKB bumpons), and Xondat (Xonledge), whose designs have influenced or been directly incorporated into Mesektet
    • The F&F/FE buyers, for their early support and tremendous patience with the hurdles we encountered
    • Too many people to list, for their kindness and encouragement while I floated the prototype for the past year-plus

Conclusion

[/list]
    « Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2024, 19:24:36 by sidrow »

Offline sidrow

• listen to Blowback
    Re: [IC] Mesektet | Not a Rectangle
    « Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 09:24:53 »
    Update History

January 2024:
    • Looking for new vendor, as the last one ghosted nearly six months ago

November 2023:
    • RP2040 PCBs and firmware fully tested and debugged
    • F&F/FE units delivered
    • Feet changed from Noxary feet to AKB bumpons for production model

June 2023:
    • F&F/FE cases arrived; QC in progress
    • PCBs revised to use RP2040; new proto PCBs on the way

April 2023:
    • Revised prototypes ordered

March 2023:
    • Case and PCB revisions completed
    • Interest check posted
    • Partnered with vendor
    September 2022:
    • First prototype received and built
    « Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2024, 19:19:37 by sidrow »

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
    « Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 09:27:39 »
    if it's not too much swiss cheese, would love a bottom row layout like 1.5/2/2/1.5 so there's a split space option without a gap in the middle

Offline elais

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 09:56:31 »
    Why is a discord account required on the IC form

Offline sidrow

• listen to Blowback
    « Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 10:20:51 »
    Why is a discord account required on the IC form

My mistake! The IC form went live in the 40s server several days ago, and my intent was to be able to reach out directly to people who expressed interest in a revised proto. I've turned it off the "required" toggle and changed the question to Discord or GH username. Thanks for catching that!

Offline raijba

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 10:32:21 »
    To add onto the 1.5/2/2/1.5 split bars request: a 1/3/3 split bars config would work way better than a 3/1/3 IMO. 3/1/3 potentially conflicts with right thumb users who strike the space bar naturally between V and B. 1/3/3 would put the bar split as close between the G and H keys as you can get and should work equally well for right and left thumb users. I also think that since all your left mods are 1u, the 1u mod in 1/3/3 would follow the same visual theme you have for the rest of the left mods. I think the only benefit of 3/1/3 is that it maintains symmetry on a 60% bottom row. Everything else about it is kind of sub-optimal. On a crazy layout like the Mesektet's, bottom row symmetry isn't really a goal, so why not something else?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
    « Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 10:57:51 »
    Not a 40s guy, but I really like this! Very cool design OP!

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 March 2023, 09:49:08 »
    That front lip is the cherry on top.

I'm willing to deal with uniform stagger for this. Nice work.

Offline baconspoon

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 March 2023, 22:12:33 »
    To add onto the 1.5/2/2/1.5 split bars request: a 1/3/3 split bars config would work way better than a 3/1/3 IMO. 3/1/3 potentially conflicts with right thumb users who strike the space bar naturally between V and B. 1/3/3 would put the bar split as close between the G and H keys as you can get and should work equally well for right and left thumb users. I also think that since all your left mods are 1u, the 1u mod in 1/3/3 would follow the same visual theme you have for the rest of the left mods. I think the only benefit of 3/1/3 is that it maintains symmetry on a 60% bottom row. Everything else about it is kind of sub-optimal. On a crazy layout like the Mesektet's, bottom row symmetry isn't really a goal, so why not something else?

Keep in mind this is uniform stagger. You have to consider your thumb positions relative to F and J, not VBN. It's off by a quarter unit. For me the consequence is that both of my thumbs naturally clip the outside edges of that center 3U. 1/3/3 is good ergonomically but ugly as sin... Also, 3/1/3 is supported naturally without adding any holes to the PCB.

I think a good compromise that is still very aesthetic would be to add support for 1/275/225/1. It still won't swiss cheese the bottom row with any overlapping holes, and we get an uninterrupted split spacebar option.

Offline Boyten8

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 March 2023, 02:13:03 »
    This is certainly interesting. Reminds me of one of the minecraft lakes I built with a duck. Can't wait to hear sound tests in the future!  ;D

Offline raijba

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 10:58:34 »
    I think a good compromise that is still very aesthetic would be to add support for 1/275/225/1. It still won't swiss cheese the bottom row with any overlapping holes, and we get an uninterrupted split spacebar option.

I know it's completely up to subjective preference and the bottom row options we're talking about would both work fine but I'm gonna keep on justifying 1/3/3 for fun lol because I feel like nerding out.

I think 1/275/225/1 doesn't really suit this board's design language. This board only uses 1, 3, and 7 unit keys, so I think "fractional" keys like 275 and 225 aren't cohesive. Also, all the bottom row keys in every option aren't staggered at all, so each key on the bottom row falls directly beneath a key on the shift row. And 1/275/225/1 disrupts this "ortholinear" relationship between the space row and the shift row. 1/3/3 keeps the "ortholinear" bottom row aesthetic, and the single left modifier echoes the aesthetic of the numrow which also has a single left modifier. I know all the alpha rows have left and right modifiers so you can say that 1/275/225/1 echoes the alpha rows' aesthetic. But when it comes to 1/3/3... I just think it's neat lol

And I totally get how 3/1/3 is easier to implement since the middle 1u shares a footprint with the 7u option. But 3/1/3 has another pitfall for this board. The v4n-style half numrow implies this board is for gaming. And personally, when I game I hit the space/jump key under the G or just a little to the left of it. So if I want split space for typing and but I also want to game, I'm going to be hitting jump on a 1u key which is is kind of unsatisfying. Also, other users with differing thumb lengths may hit jump in between the 3u and the 1u creating a "problem area" for gamers who hit jump around the same spot.

Lastly, and I'll die on this hill lol, but I just hate how the 1u mod in 3/1/3 falls directly under the B. I know it's still ortho like every other bottom row option on this board but it visually hurts me. 

Okay I'm done nerding out lol

275/225 looks good but I just like 1/3/3 for this board. 3/1/3 is garbage tho

Offline sidrow

• listen to Blowback
    « Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 03:41:53 »
    Jan. 2024 edit: When Sleepdealer finished the PCB revisions, it was not feasible to add stabilizer holes to each switch footprint of the bottom row. So the bottom row options will remain as they were, i.e., 1/1/3/1/1, 3/1/3, and 7. People have built the F&F/FE units with all of those configurations and they're working out fine.

More
    Wow, first of all, thank you everyone for the comments and IC responses—I really appreciate your interest and feedback.

I had planned on sitting down and discussing bottom row options yesterday, but I had family in town who stayed longer than expected. :)

tl;dr just use 1/1/3/1/1 ;D

if it's not too much swiss cheese, would love a bottom row layout like 1.5/2/2/1.5 so there's a split space option without a gap in the middle

To add onto the 1.5/2/2/1.5 split bars request: a 1/3/3 split bars config would work way better than a 3/1/3 IMO.

A small note before we begin: I'm surprised there's this much interest and diversity of opinion re: split space options—I've been using 1/1/3/1/1 the entire time I've had the prototype, and I find the single small spacebar + 4x mod layout super comfortable and usable. I figured that would be the most common bottom row option, with split space and big bar available as alternatives.

That said, while I'm not really committed to 3/1/3, I am sticking to my guns with 1/1/3/1/1; Mesektet was designed with this bottom row in mind, making it a core aspect of the board's identity—in addition to being highly functional (accommodating dedicated Ctrl, Alt, Sys, and layer keys, plus another layer accessed via tap/hold on the bar) and remarkably comfortable (all four 1u keys are easily accessible by the thumbs, with no need for stretching pinkies or moving away from the home position).

So, in terms of adding bottom row options without creating Swiss cheese, let's start with the current layout, which supports 1/1/3/1/1, 3/1/3, and 7:

1/1/3/1/1 + 3/1/3 + 7

Here, we can see that as long as 1/1/3/1/1 is supported, we already have all the switch cutouts we need for 3/1/3 and 7; they only require the addition of the leftmost and rightmost stabilizer cuts. Or, put differently, if you support 1/1/3/1/1 and 7, you get 3/1/3 for free. As a consequence, there's no way to "replace" 3/1/3 with a different split space option without also affecting support for 1/1/3/1/1 and/or 7. (I also won't be separately listing 3/1/3 in any of the captions below, since 3/1/3 is implied by having 1/1/3/1/1 and 7.)

Here's what happens if we add 1.5/2/2/1.5:

1/1/3/1/1 + 7 + 1.5/2/2/1.5

Even connecting cuts across the tiny gaps on the left and right, that's still a fairly messy plate with several very thin verticals (and some quite wide-open horizontal stretches). I also don't love 1.5u mod keys on a board that is very consistently 1u (with the exception of 1-2 stabilized keys).

Things look maybe a bit better if we use 1/2.75/2.25/1 instead:

1/1/3/1/1 + 7 + 1/2.75/2.25/1

A bit cleaner, though there are still some thin verticals, and the second-from-right cluster has that really long horizontal gap extending through two overlapping stabilizer cuts. Not too bad looking from the layout perspective either, as Raijba points out in the first layout image above, though I do prefer the bars being equal length on this layout.

Which brings me to 1/3/3. We can go ahead and add 3/3/1 as well, resulting in the following:

7x1u

Now this is a different beast entirely—not a few layout options but ten:
    • 7x1u (which, yes, one stabilizer hater has asked for this in Discord)
    • five options with 4x1u + 1x3u (i.e., with zero, one, two, three, or four 1u keys left of the bar)
    • three options with 1x1u + 2x3u (1/3/3, 3/1/3, and 3/3/1)
    • 1x7u (for the big bar enjoyers)

So (setting aside 7x1u and 1x7u for the moment), you end up with a lot of options for positioning the minibar or the split bars to fit the way your particular thumbs land on the bottom row. 7x1u (with the corresponding stabilizer cuts) also keeps the plate/PCB nice and clean. The downside, such as it were, is that the two new split space options (1/3/3 and 3/3/1) are asymmetrical. But I think Raijba has a point here, for two reasons. First, considering the 1/3/3 image in Raijba's post above, I just don't think that looks bad—to the contrary, I actually find it rather elegant, and reminiscent of the unorthodox mod key alignment of some vintage boards, most notably the Family Basic. Second, as Raijba correctly points out, Mesektet's design is generally unconcerned with symmetry; I don't necessarily see it as a downside if the split space options lean into that further.

More

In brief, I think adding 1/3/3 and 3/3/1 offers the best solution for split space, considering the tradeoffs involved between layout flexibility and Swiss cheese. This would also create new options for positioning the single 3u bar (and satisfy the Discord fan who asked for 7x1u). Unless people overwhelmingly hate this for some reason, I'll talk to keebnewb about revising the PCB to 7x1u between the revised prototypes and GB.

Thank you very much Dede, Raijba, and Baconspoon for your valuable suggestions on this topic!
    « Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2024, 19:26:10 by sidrow »

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 09:54:02 »
    What in tarnation, I love it. GLWIC!

Offline sidrow

• listen to Blowback
    « Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 April 2023, 12:19:00 »
    Hello fellow Mesektêtes,*

Thanks again to everyone who has commented, DM'd, and filled out the IC form! I truly appreciate your interest and support. Just wanted to give you all a brief update on this project:

First, some excellent news:
    January 2024 edit: The original vendor ghosted me nearly six months ago. Currently looking for a new one.

Second, I've placed the F&F/FE order for the revised prototype. I'm really looking forward to seeing this small batch of boards and sharing them with you all!

That's all for now! Stay tuned for further updates as production on the revised prototypes progresses. :D

*yes I've been thinking about that pun for weeks
    « Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2024, 19:29:14 by sidrow »

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
    « Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 April 2023, 19:46:13 »
    lets gooooooo funky layouts are the best layouts!

Good luck with IC!! :thumb: :thumb:

Offline NixieType

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 April 2023, 02:38:16 »
    You’re really gonna make me buy a 40, aren’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KiserDesigns

• Kiser Designs Store
    « Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 09:31:58 »
    Seeing the math unfold for the bottom row options... :thumb:
    11311 is a killer bottom row, little-big-bar.
    And the half-rumrow is the cherry on top.
    Any chance for hotswap?

Offline sidrow

• listen to Blowback
    « Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 June 2023, 19:44:07 »
    Hello everyone! It's been quiet in here but things are moving along!

The F&F/FE cases have arrived; QC is in progress.

Looking forward to having further updates soon!
    « Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2024, 19:30:13 by sidrow »

Offline sidrow

• listen to Blowback
    « Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 June 2023, 19:52:16 »
    Seeing the math unfold for the bottom row options... :thumb:
    11311 is a killer bottom row, little-big-bar.
    And the half-rumrow is the cherry on top.
    Any chance for hotswap?

Thanks, I've been enjoying 1/1/3/1/1 a lot! It's enough of a bar to feel nice and substantial, but also brings in the mod keys for super easy thumb access.

No plans for hotswap that I'm aware of ;D

Offline trashem

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 June 2023, 20:04:58 »
    oooh love to see an update on this, keeping my eye out for more!

Offline Fraser

• RedRedRed
    « Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 June 2023, 18:47:07 »
    Stag42 (https://redredred.ca/stag42) creator here. This looks neat, good luck.