Author Topic: [Help] Sanding/Polishing Keycaps  (Read 6074 times)

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
[Help] Sanding/Polishing Keycaps
« on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 14:48:01 »
Are there any methods out there that people use to make very smooth keycaps for artisans?

Ive been hand-sanding lightly but I would like to go for a much more polished/smooth/clean feel instead of having a slightly matted feel from the sanding x-x
Reddit: /u/Komatoz

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
Re: [Help] Sanding/Polishing Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 18:21:06 »
You do it in stages.

Sand with low grit first, then increase grit. 6000 is a good final grit for plastic. 

500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000.
Then use a buffing wheel with a plastic polish and for a gloss finish use an acrylic clear coat.

The 4000 and 6000 grit will seem to do almost nothing but they significant in removing the matte look. Thy also take the longest as you will use them about twice as long as the other grit but with far less pressure.

Offline need

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 18:31:33 »
If you want it ultra smooth, you will need some ultra fine grit (like micro mesh) with few drops of water.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 22:30:50 »
If you want it ultra smooth, you will need some ultra fine grit (like micro mesh) with few drops of water.

Micro-mesh(R) is just a brand name of high-grit synthetic sandpaper.

Here is a conversion chart:  http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/conversion.htm

The water is a great tip, I suggest water with liquid dish soap for grit below about 4k. When you get up to around 4k your more buffing than sanding.

You can do you own testing with different grit on something not important to see how high of a grit you want to goto.

Offline need

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 23:08:26 »

Micro-mesh(R) is just a brand name of high-grit synthetic sandpaper.

Here is a conversion chart:  http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/conversion.htm

The water is a great tip, I suggest water with liquid dish soap for grit below about 4k. When you get up to around 4k your more buffing than sanding.

You can do you own testing with different grit on something not important to see how high of a grit you want to goto.

^Incorrect.

Micro-mesh (R) isn't "just" a brand name. It's the only type that offers extremely fine grit, such as 6000, 8000, 12000. It's basically the standard for jewellery polishing. Suitable for the finishing result I suggested : "Ultra smooth".

Oh and it's a cloth not a paper too.

Btw thanks for correcting my mistake in missing a (R), and rather bluntly. Not that I (or anyone else) care anyway.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 23:34:50 »
There is no need to get upset over it, I actually copy/pasted the name from the web so the (R) was already there.

The 6000 and 8000 comes in both the classic paper form though it's not paper ( http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sh8000/?inMed=GSTORE&dfw_tracker=18711-sh8000&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzsvEBRDEluzk96e4rqABEiQAezEOoDDB9MORqR7QZIj3tp8FUuMwspoqZKaEaEGS9Ej3ijEaAiGJ8P8HAQ ), and the cloth.  6000grit is available in other brands ( https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Abrasive-Sandpaper-Waterproof-Polishing/dp/B011E3JKTI ) but nothing higher so yes you are right. I use 6000g micro-mesh(R) in the paper-ish form for tuning fountain pens. The 12000 is also available in a 'pad' which is just the cloth on a hard backing with a soft layer between( https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Monogram-R7046-Micro-Mesh-12000/dp/B0172KE40C/ref=pd_lpo_21_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0R5A3FAW2J5V5FPZ05DP ).  There may be other forms as lots of companies now buy it and us it in their own product.

For plastics, I feel there is no need to go higher than 6000 before you start buffing with a buffing compound, others may want something even glossier and that's their prerogative just keep going up till you cant go any higher or until you get the result you want.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 00:06:58 »
just a suggestion after using a fine grit, polish it with polishing compound like rubbing compound or the likes, it would give you a glass like result.  :thumb:
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline need

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 06:49:03 »
There is no need to get upset over it, I actually copy/pasted the name from the web so the (R) was already there.

Oh so it's the internet's fault  :thumb:

The 6000 and 8000 comes in both the classic paper form though it's not paper ( http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sh8000/?inMed=GSTORE&dfw_tracker=18711-sh8000&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzsvEBRDEluzk96e4rqABEiQAezEOoDDB9MORqR7QZIj3tp8FUuMwspoqZKaEaEGS9Ej3ijEaAiGJ8P8HAQ ), and the cloth.

Incorrect. The one in the link is still a cloth.

6000grit is available in other brands ( https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Abrasive-Sandpaper-Waterproof-Polishing/dp/B011E3JKTI ) but nothing higher so yes you are right.

Great suggestion, but only if you want sand paper and not cushioned abrasive cloth.

So yeah, OP just get a set of 3600-12000 grit set of micro mesh for cheap.

Btw, you wouldn't want to use 500, 1000 grit on artisans. That's just crazy.

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 19:32:09 »
[...] polish it with polishing compound [...]

Seconded. Dremel or Proxxon have buffing wheels made for that purpose, and there are polishing compounds made specifically for plastics.
https://searx.me/?q=plastic%20polishing%20compounds&categories=general

IMHO stuff that comes on cloth or paper is good for lapping and flat surfaces, if you want to polish curves and crevices, use a buffing wheel of appropriate softness and speed,  and a polishing compound. You can use a set of buffing wheels in different sizes, or even make some yourself. For really small details I use cotton fibers on a wooden toothpick at low speed, and replace them often.

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 20:03:53 »
You do it in stages.

Sand with low grit first, then increase grit. 6000 is a good final grit for plastic. 

500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000.
Then use a buffing wheel with a plastic polish and for a gloss finish use an acrylic clear coat.

The 4000 and 6000 grit will seem to do almost nothing but they significant in removing the matte look. Thy also take the longest as you will use them about twice as long as the other grit but with far less pressure.

Dang, thanks!!

But what if I dont have a buffing wheel? D:

Would it still be successful even if its done by hand?

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 20:04:39 »
just a suggestion after using a fine grit, polish it with polishing compound like rubbing compound or the likes, it would give you a glass like result.  :thumb:

Oh!! Will keep that in mind, thank you!