Author Topic: Help with mechanical keyboard picking- WASD/Ducky/Rosewill/Filco  (Read 11330 times)

Offline Warrax

Hello.
For some time, I am surfing over i-net, and trying to decide, which mechanical keyboard to buy. I have really a problem to decide and maybe, this thread helps me a little bit. First, I origin from Slovakia, I am not native english speaker, so I appologize for any mistakes or/and hardly readable text.

I currently own old mechanical keyboard, which was identified as rubber dome ALPS http://www.overclock.net/t/1260509/what-type-of-switch-is-this

It's for sure better than cheap rubber dome ones, I've used before, but I'm not happy with some aspects about it. It doesn't have NKRO, I don't like switches for gaming, although I didn't used any other switches. And also, color should be black, as my other computer parts are black, and it looks strange - also white plastics are more yellow than white, it simply doesn't look good.

The keyboards that are named in the topic title, are the ones, that interest me most.

Well, to be honest, I would like to have backliting, so in this case, only Ducky Shine is option, but I've read, quality of the keyboard is not so good, as Rosewill, WASD, or Filco. Not sure, I want sacrifice quality for LED, as I think, LED after some years will be unusable anyways. Also, this option is very expensive, as it costs 150$ + 50$ for shipping into my country. Also, design of some stuff on Ducky, or font, is not looking so good, as I like the old original one the most (as on my current keyboard)

To the Rosewill, it has good price, but unfortunately, I cannot find any shop that ships to my country. And also, keycaps are ABS, so if I want PBT ones, I need to buy them for 40 + shipping, which will make this option also very expensive.

Question 1)
What about quality of WASD keyboard? Can you compare, if it is better than Rosewill, or at same level? And how to you compare it to Filco, or Ducky? The one thing I don't like at WASD, is also no PBT keycaps. But If I choose to not use PBT keycaps, WASD seems good option.

Question 2)
I would like to have PBT keycaps, if possible, but are there any PBT keycaps, that can be put at Ducky Shine, and LED will work? All PBT keycaps seems to be made only for non-backlit keyboard.

Question 3)
Are there significant differances between quality of PBT keycaps, or are they at about same level? What method of printing is best on PBT keycaps?

Question 4)
What's the method of manufacturing ABS keycaps that are with Ducky Shine? The letter is translucent, how they've made it? It is made from other plastic or? It is possible to do same thing with PBT keycaps, just changing ABS material for PBT?

Question 5)
On WASD page, there are eighter laser-edged and engraved letters. Does they feel on touch? What about pad printed type of lettering, for example rosewill have it. Doesn't wear of too much quickly? As I've understand, dye sublimated is best method? I have a little chaos in types of lettering on keycaps.

Any help appreciate.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2012, 10:50:47 by Warrax »

Offline Rafen

Help with mechanical keyboard picking- WASD/Ducky/Rosewill/Filco
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 11:03:48 »
Have you looked for any of these answers yourself on this forum?

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:20:51 »
1-- I would say WASD> than rosewill just because of the amount of cable issues I read with rosewill.  Other wise, I would say they are pretty similar.  Filco has good rep around here, mainly because it has cherry stabilizers, looks sleek, and carries an ego ;).  The CMstorm is a good alternative for a cheap mechanical.  Never owned a ducky, but I am convinced they are kinda bad.  Have not heard bad things about the shine though.  I feel Leopold right now is the best for quality for money, but you will get nailed on shipping.

Options for backlight keyboard
Race
Deck
Ducky shine
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:22:53 by Zamorph »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:25:55 »
Quote from: Warrax;606676
Question 1)
What about quality of WASD keyboard? Can you compare, if it is better than Rosewill, or at same level? And how to you compare it to Filco, or Ducky? The one thing I don't like at WASD, is also no PBT keycaps. But If I choose to not use PBT keycaps, WASD seems good option.

I don't have a Rosewill or ducky, but the quality of the WASD keyboard is very high. It's made by Costar, just like filco, and should be excellent. I've had mine since 2011 and it's been great. I have read that rosewill sometimes has issues with the USB inlet to the keyboard being weak. For better or worse, the WASD has a fixed cable, so it should be good. Also the cable gland (strain relief) is beefy.

Also, keep in mind that WASD should have PBT sometime later this year.
Question 2)
I would like to have PBT keycaps, if possible, but are there any PBT keycaps, that can be put at Ducky Shine, and LED will work? All PBT keycaps seems to be made only for non-backlit keyboard.

There aren't many. The only ones I know of come with Deck/TG3 keyboards, and they have a "flat profile"
Question 3)
Are there significant differances between quality of PBT keycaps, or are they at about same level? What method of printing is best on PBT keycaps?

The best method of printing for PBT is Dye Sublimation. This is what IBM/unicomp uses, and it's generally awesome. The Dye printing permeates a little ways into the plastic of the keycap, and stays for a while even if you wear through part of ti. Also, since PBT is tough and corrosion resistant, it takes a while to wear (so the texture will last longer)

In reality, it depends on how much you use your keyboard. It could take 6 months to start to see wear on your spacebar.
Question 4)
What's the method of manufacturing ABS keycaps that are with Ducky Shine? The letter is translucent, how they've made it? It is made from other plastic or? It is possible to do same thing with PBT keycaps, just changing ABS material for PBT?

I believe they are coated opaque, and the legend is lasered into it, revealing the clear ABS beneath. Check the Key Ref Wiki to be sure.
Question 5)
On WASD page, there are eighter laser-edged and engraved letters. Does they feel on touch? What about pad printed type of lettering, for example rosewill have it. Doesn't wear of too much quickly? As I've understand, dye sublimated is best method? I have a little chaos in types of lettering on keycaps.

You can feel the engraved ones a little on your fingers. It's up to you whether or not this is a bother. You can't really feel the etched, but I believe the legends won't last as long.

Dyesub is the best method for PBT, and Doubseshot (where the legend goes all the way through the plastic) is considered the best for ABS.

Also, check up online. I believe WASDkeyboards has a good guide to get started. The GH wiki's are also pretty good. If you're interested in various keycaps, the key ref wiki is an excellent resource. http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?30628-Key-Reference

Offline dbdynsty25

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:28:08 »
Another backlight option is the Mionix Zibal 60. Uses essentially the same board as the wasd and filcos of the world (costar) and feels outstanding from a quality perspective. Between it and my filco tenkeyless I use at work it's hard to tell the difference from a quality standpoint. Not sure if you can get it in your country but its one to check on.

Offline Warrax

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 18:05:50 »
Thank you for your answers.
Rafen, I am study thematic, but it's hard for me, as it's not my native language, and I have chaos from it. That why I've asked to make some things clearer.

dorkvader - thank you.
Why Doubleshot method is not used on PBT keycaps, and only at ABS keycaps?
Anyway, I cannot find any dye sublimated PBT keycaps for sale, just laser etched.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 19:01:03 »
Q1) WASD is very solid, I can't compare to another brand but they are not cheap or feel weak. Plus you can buy a naked keyboard which saves you from buying a abs key cap set and then having to sell them later
Q2) idk a lot about PBT key caps
Q3) I've heard they are good, but I've never had a full set to type on
Q4) idk
Q5) I have engraved, which you can feel somewhat but it doesn't bother you while typing/you only notice it when you're looking for it. I also have some double shots, no feeling what so ever.

Hope I helped ;)
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Warrax

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 00:13:43 »
Quote from: The_Beast;606899
Q1) WASD is very solid, I can't compare to another brand but they are not cheap or feel weak. Plus you can buy a naked keyboard which saves you from buying a abs key cap set and then having to sell them later

Yes, this option has risen up in my mind. But for me, it is VERY expensive, as... I need to pay shipping TWICE, for naked keyboard and for keycaps. The shipping cost is like 50$ for keyboard, and will be for sure another $30 for keycaps. So, keycaps will cost me like 45 + 30 = 75$ !!! Thats why I would like to buy them from ONE source, but unfortunately, WASD keyboards doesnt have PBT keycaps.
There is another option, to buy it from Tankguys for example, but then I cannot choose WASD keyboard, but OCN version of Ducky, as only those keyboards are for sale in his page. Then, it's not wise to choose ducky shine version, as I lost LED, and I need to pick just standart version. And now, here is question... non-shine Ducky with laser etched PBT keycaps, is worse option IMO, than WASD keyboard with ABS keycaps.

Quote from: The_Beast;606899
Q5) I have engraved, which you can feel somewhat but it doesn't bother you while typing/you only notice it when you're looking for it. I also have some double shots, no feeling what so ever.
I am curious, why have you decided for engraved, over laser etched?

Quote from: Zamorph;606745
Race
Deck
Ducky shine
Okay, I've found webpage mechanicalkeyboard.com, where there are Deck Legend keyboards.
They have PBT keycaps and backlit together! Never though I will find such combination. It seems, that Deck is one, and only one option, that have backlit + PBT keycaps.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=94

I wonder, how the translucent PBT keycaps are made... probably doubleshot?
Anyway, I like white LED, but not sure about MX Clear switches. What a pity, they doesn't have MX Reds, those are switches, I would like to have. Among Ducky Keyboards, I am decided for White LED/ Mx Red combination.

Also pity, that they don't sell WASD keyboards, as they have PBT keycaps option on page, there would be possible combination WASD naked keyboard + PBT keycaps, with one shipping only.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 June 2012, 01:02:19 by Warrax »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 14:38:23 »
I liked the look of engraved because it's minimalistic. Plus it's the closest thing to blanks but it still gives you the option to sneak a cheat peek if you forgot where a key is. Black engraved is hard to see, but at the right angle you can see them just fine, that magic angle is also kinda close to where you would normally be trying from (if that makes sense) so you can kinda see them when typing normally
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Warrax

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 00:13:11 »
Quote from: Zamorph;606745

Race
Deck
Ducky shine

Dudes, and what about this?
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/customize-keyboard.html

This is not an option? Just found the site, never heard of them.

Also found, that Rosewill is going to release backlit version.
http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/new-rosewill-backlit-and-white-keyboards-t2769.html
Any estimated time, when it will be available?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2012, 01:25:33 by Warrax »

Offline Warrax

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 09:40:15 »
Ok, so unfortunately, Max keyboards doesn't have WHITE backliting, so it have to be fully customized with LEDs for another 70$. That means, 220$ for keyboard, I think, it is not worth of extra 70$ from Ducky Shine.
But for people, that like blue or red backliting, would be decent option.

So, anyone can discuss quality of those Maxkeyboards and compare them to Filco/Ducky/WASD/Rosewill?

Btw, I've email-ed to Rosewill, asked them what is estimated time for those backliting mech. keyboards. I will post the answer here.

Offline qtan5370

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 09:49:14 »
KBT Race....

Or, noppoo coming out new LED keyboard later.
Look for Keyboard? Check my offers. I have most major keyboard and some caps for you, if you don\'t see it there, ask me. I am Top rated seller on eBay now, and have retail store in China selling keyboard and other gaming staffs.

My eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/E-sports-Gaming-equipments?_rdc=1

My store(lower price than eBay): http://www.keyboardwow.com

Offline Warrax

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 10:25:25 »
Quote from: qtan5370;615468
KBT Race....

Or, noppoo coming out new LED keyboard later.

lol, I need full keyboard, no cutoff or divided pieces . ;-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2012, 10:30:19 by Warrax »

Offline Onomonom

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 12:15:29 »
Depends on the Noppoo Qtan is going on about, if it is the Noppoo Mini, then you wont want that, however is he is talking about the Noppoo Pro, then thats a full size mechanical keyboard,
but if you look on his ebay store, i think he already has the Noppoo Pro with Red LEDs?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 13:26:51 »
WASD quality is really good as everyone has said, equal to Filco on quality. I haven't heard much about Rosewill, it's either that they're good because they're cheap, or they're bad because of whatever issues. I'd just wait for them to get PBTs. Backlighting really limits your options.
I love Elzy

Offline warzer0

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 21:06:40 »
Quote from: Sifo;615586
WASD quality is really good as everyone has said, equal to Filco on quality. I haven't heard much about Rosewill, it's either that they're good because they're cheap, or they're bad because of whatever issues. I'd just wait for them to get PBTs. Backlighting really limits your options.

I suspect that it's because that there isn't as much marketing for them and fewer people are aware that they exist.

Right now I'm typing this on a Rosewill Cherry red keyboard that I bought for my mother on her computer. It's about equal in build quality to my friends Filco and maybe a bit better then my Razor Blackwidow ultimate (not by a whole lot though and the BWU has several advantages that off set the differences). I'd easily put it on par with my Model M in terms of solidness and build quality.

Given the choice however I'd probably pick the Rosewills over the filcos for one main reason: cost effectiveness. I haven't seen any difference between the two but whereas a filco will sst you back $160 Canadian, this Rosewill on the other hand retails normally for $129 normally. When I got it it was on sale for $99 /w a free Rosewill webcam and free S&H. Right now it's on another sale for $79 for S&H. I haven't seen anything about the Filcos that makes them justifiably $90's more then their Rosewill counterparts.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2012, 21:16:44 by warzer0 »

Offline Warrax

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 16:22:25 »
Ok, Rosewill will release their backlit version in august. But only with blue backliting, and only mx blue and mx brown switches.
They are considering to release mx red and mx black version later, same for red and white backliting.
So soon, it will be another option for backliting.

WASD backlit version is not planned this year, maybe next.

I will not wait for Rosewill, so I will take Ducky.

Offline Warrax

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 18:01:30 »
Update!

I've found, that max keyboards are making group buys with 20% discount, if 10 people with interest about keyboard, will be organized.
http://blog.maxkeyboard.com/2012/03/max-keyboard-group-buy-20-discount/
That would mean after discout: 220$ * (0,8) = 176$. Which is only 26$ more than Ducky. These keyboards are higher quality, and looks cooler than Ducky, so for me, it is worth of extra 26$. For people, that wants non-customized version, this discount is even more attractive. 150$ * (0,8) = 120$.

Group buys are organized here:
http://www.forums.custompcreview.com/f55/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x8-x9-group-buy-4-thread-643/index6.html