Author Topic: [IC] Project name GMK Siberia / GMK Svalbard  (Read 11419 times)

Offline Full

[IC] Project name GMK Siberia / GMK Svalbard
« on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 14:11:58 »
GMK Siberia

Hello and welcome to this interest check for my new project, currently named GMK Siberia, a simple set based off OG colours, including sublegends and icon mods.

Kit:

IC Form:
I would love if you could spare a minute and fill out the IC form
https://forms.gle/N6zEhZKFue1vngZu5

Bullet points:
- Icon mods
- UV printed sublegends, colours used are V2, N5, DY and TU2
- Preferably one kit only
- R5 bottom row
- Deskmats, artisan, cable collabs will be considered depending on how the IC goes

Render:
FROG TKL by Geon:

More renders will be added, but seeing as sublegends are not set in stone just yet, I chose to keep it simple for now.

Vendors:
- None yet, let me know if you are interested in running the set  :thumb:

Socials:
IG: https://www.instagram.com/aslejohkb
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/Avxuaq8fVE

Thanks to:
- Snurrebassen for the awesome render! (he is currently accepting commissions!)
- Konstantin for the initial idea!
- Geon for the render file of the FROG TKL
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 August 2021, 06:02:40 by Full »
Hi!

Offline robrobro

Re: [IC] Project name GMK Siberia
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 14:15:34 »
Amazing set! And a great render to boot. Eagerly awaiting the gb for this.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 14:18:59 »
What is the deal with the blue being in that shape? And why did you choose those colors specifically
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 14:32:03 »
Why every month I have to see 10 GMK ICs?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 14:43:08 »
is this supposed to be another face set i'm not seein' it

aight nvm we figured it out
So you wanted to showcase sublegends that are similar to English by using blue and wanted to showcase Russian legends that are exclusive to the language in orange. Why? From what I understand, the capitalized "english" lettering doesn't transition when uncapitalized in Russian, so there is no similarity other than the aesthetic of the lettering. This feels extremely shallow and ends up not only making the keyset look like a barf of colors, but also uncaring about the language beyond the surface level of how it looks.

Try again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:41:06 by Kokaloo »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:07:32 »
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind your sublegend organization and coloring.

Also, if you're doing UV on alphas, you might be able to get the whole set considerably down in cost by making this an all UV set instead.  Something to at least ask about.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:23:23 »
Looking great! This is a very unique looking set. Looks great on that FROG too. Wishing you a tonne of success with this IC (which for the record is much more interesting to me than the 100s of anime/meme sets people will into existence to clog up the GMK pipeline).

Also fix ISO as <> is cursed.

Great work!

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:25:17 »
triple shot? Does GMK even have the capability?

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:26:44 »
says UV in the op chief

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:31:56 »
Why are the sublegends colored that way? Why is it just a "project name"?

Offline ab042896

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:44:30 »
Like others have said, not sure what the sub-legend colors signify, but hey, looks good in any case :thumb:

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 06:10:15 »
Looking great! This is a very unique looking set. Looks great on that FROG too. Wishing you a tonne of success with this IC (which for the record is much more interesting to me than the 100s of anime/meme sets people will into existence to clog up the GMK pipeline).

Great work!

If they’re really planning to make this a hybrid Scandinavian/Russian set, then the <> key is probably a necessity.

Offline tanghus

• BEIGE GUD
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 08:03:16 »

Great work!

If they’re really planning to make this a hybrid Scandinavian/Russian set, then the <> key is probably a necessity.

He's going for a Norwegian/Russian set. Danish and Swedish are both slightly different.

@OP:

I like the idea, but the execution is a bit lacking.  If you're aiming for different sublegends for each language, I'd gone with a uniform colour for each type set. I don't understand why exactly you have gone with blue for the letters shared across cyrillic and latin.

What is up with the name? Why Siberia? As far as I'm concerned, Svalbard would have been a more fitting name as both Russia and Norway have a historical presence here.

Why the sub legend colours? Simply because they look pretty?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2021, 08:06:33 by tanghus »

Offline Full

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 09:07:41 »

Great work!

He's going for a Norwegian/Russian set. Danish and Swedish are both slightly different.

@OP:

I like the idea, but the execution is a bit lacking.  If you're aiming for different sublegends for each language, I'd gone with a uniform colour for each type set. I don't understand why exactly you have gone with blue for the letters shared across cyrillic and latin.

What is up with the name? Why Siberia? As far as I'm concerned, Svalbard would have been a more fitting name as both Russia and Norway have a historical presence here.

Why the sub legend colours? Simply because they look pretty?

Hey!

I will reply to each and every comment in due time, but figured I could start with this. The set originally started as a cyrillic set with the orange and blue, orange for the cyrillic sub legends, blue for the latin sublegends. I then picked the 2 other colours as they are complimentary colours to each other.

The project name is just that, a project name, when it only had cyrillic alphas Konstantin made a joke to call it GMK Portal in Siberia, when the 2 Portal inspired GMK set IC's dropped I figured the joke got old.

The whole point of posting it in its current state here on GH was to get feedback, personally I am really into beige/grey/black/white sets with some colours to spice it up a bit. Nothing here is set in stone, colours are just here to show the 'potential', I was hoping someone would come along and recommend some other eastern european sub legends that would fit the set well, the Norwegian and UK sublegends are just there now, as it is where I got stuck with the set personally.

I have been sharing KLEs of the set to friends for the past 3 months now, in different iterations(some also available on my IG, and many more on my discord server).

With regards to your naming suggestion, I love it! GMK Svalbard.
Hi!

Offline Full

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 09:15:40 »
Amazing set! And a great render to boot. Eagerly awaiting the gb for this.

Thank you! <3

What is the deal with the blue being in that shape? And why did you choose those colors specifically

The set started out with the orange and blue cyrillic sublegends, orange for cyrillic sublegends, and blue for the latin sublegends. I chose the 2 other colours as they are complimentary to each other, I am currently awaiting some feedback from GMK with regards to their UV printing capabilities, I suspect you have some more liberty with regards to MOQ/price etc when it comes to UV printed compared to doubleshot.

Why are the sublegends colored that way? Why is it just a "project name"?

Explained above, project name explained in the last post, basically, it was originally just orange and blue cyrillic sublegends, someone called it GMK Portal in Siberia as a joke, when 2 actually Portal inspired GMK ICs came up, I decided to not drag the joke on to far.

is this supposed to be another face set i'm not seein' it

aight nvm we figured it out
So you wanted to showcase sublegends that are similar to English by using blue and wanted to showcase Russian legends that are exclusive to the language in orange. Why? From what I understand, the capitalized "english" lettering doesn't transition when uncapitalized in Russian, so there is no similarity other than the aesthetic of the lettering. This feels extremely shallow and ends up not only making the keyset look like a barf of colors, but also uncaring about the language beyond the surface level of how it looks.

Try again.

Not much to say here  :blank:

Great work!

Thank you bby!   :-*

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Well, I mean.. you are browsing a keyboard related interest check subforum.. Not sure what you were expecting.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind your sublegend organization and coloring.

Also, if you're doing UV on alphas, you might be able to get the whole set considerably down in cost by making this an all UV set instead.  Something to at least ask about.

I have tried to explain the 'logic' in my other comments :) Great advice on potentially put sublegends on the regular alphas too! Definitely something I will keep in mind  :thumb:

No they dont, they would be UV printed  :thumb:

Like others have said, not sure what the sub-legend colors signify, but hey, looks good in any case :thumb:

Thank you!  :-*

I would also like to add, I think people are forgetting what this part of the forum was supposed to be, an interest check, a place to gauge interest and gather feedback. Not every IC has to launch with a full set of vendors, 22 renders and 12 collabs lined up  :cool:

This is just a passion project I have been working on for the last few weeks, and I am currently stuck with regards to the sublegend options, therefor I wanted to make a post, and see if brighter people had some valuable input, which a few have definitely given :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2021, 09:18:27 by Full »
Hi!

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 09:28:44 »

how do you see only 10?

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:32:17 »
I really like the orange and blue, and R5.  Changes up the Cyrillic you typically see which there already seems to be a lot of.  Not necessary things but things that could get it to stand out is having an R0 option for the f row and sub legends for the numpad
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 00:41:10 »

how do you see only 10?

Someone that understands! :D

OP, don't take this the wrong way, for I see several people here interested in your set, but personally I don't want to pay 120-160 bucks for your set. I think it is nice, but not nice enough for the price tag.

To answer your seemingly clueless self, I don't think most GMK sets deserve to be priced that high, and it looks like creators only want their sets built by GMK for the hype/prestige factor rather than because of a well thought decision. I feel bad that so many niche, but nice looking sets go to waste because of such dumb decision, like in the case of GMK Iconic.

Offline Flexerman

• Thanks for all the fish
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 07:24:54 »
Heck, I like it... I don't know much about the layout of the subs and such, but from a purely aesthetic "would I buy it" point of view, yes, yes I would.

Offline LiTurk

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 17:43:30 »
take my money  :eek:

Offline Groom

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:58:21 »
nice colorful legends

Offline Lysol_

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 02:45:36 »
I actually like this. really nice to see a simple idea ic for a keyset.
I'm a bit concerned about how much this will cost with gmk doing multiple color uv print on caps but I'm interested to see how this goes.

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 00:11:54 »
Looks cool & the multicoloured sublegends is creative! I do feel like the shape could be experimented with though, the english-looking legends results in a kind of a strange shape, but that's just my personal perspective :) GLWIC!

Offline Full

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 06:02:29 »
nice colorful legends

Thank you! That was the idea :)

I actually like this. really nice to see a simple idea ic for a keyset.
I'm a bit concerned about how much this will cost with gmk doing multiple color uv print on caps but I'm interested to see how this goes.

I do not expect pricing to be an issue on this, price would probably be higher than other sets due to getting priced for a much smaller market/MOQ than the Mizu's out there :)

Looks cool & the multicoloured sublegends is creative! I do feel like the shape could be experimented with though, the english-looking legends results in a kind of a strange shape, but that's just my personal perspective :) GLWIC!

I fully agree, I will get back to working on this set again going forward! :)
Hi!

Offline nvh2092

Re: [IC] Project name GMK Siberia / GMK Svalbard
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 07:15:03 »
Please consider removing the duplicated R1 home and R1 pgup key + changing Code to System. Also, why not go full R0 for the function row plus a few nav keys?

Offline XiXora

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 08:58:29 »
UK sub legend thing is pretty cool but what is with all the extra [|\] legends? I assume the normally ["'] key for the [@'] key can be changed to ["'@'] key or does the other layout use [|\] there too?

Also, would love 2x1.5U super and extra 1u alt key :P

Offline Full

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 11:16:46 »
Please consider removing the duplicated R1 home and R1 pgup key + changing Code to System. Also, why not go full R0 for the function row plus a few nav keys?

Hey, those keys are not in the KLE I asked to get rendered, so not sure how they got there, they will get removed from the render going forward :)
Hi!