Author Topic: [IC] Wyse87 Complete Sets  (Read 20375 times)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
[IC] Wyse87 Complete Sets
« on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:35:32 »
What Is It?
This would be a complete keycap set (all 105 keys) for Cherry MX keyboards - primarily CM Storm, Ducky, Keycool and Filco but pretty much any Cherry MX. Why all 105 for a Wyse "conversion" kit? Because it's getting to be a pain to find a good set of Wyse, and this also makes it possible to do something much fancier!
There's also the tiny issue of the spacebar and shift caps being too large, and no windows on the scroll lock or caps lock keys. Plus, let's just call a spade a spade: Wyse looks good.
It is called: Wyse87 - for now. Why? Based on 1987 Wyse PCET and 87 keys. So there. :)

What's The Proposal?
A whole new Wyse set! As in entirely new - no more searching for and restoring a 901865 or such.
Here's a photo of the Wyse keycaps as they should look (courtesy DT).
Now for most folks, that right there would be cool enough. But the hope is to take it two steps further, because I'm a perfectionist like that. What that means is: the "old" Wyse font plus adding the function layer legends (play/pause, stop, next, previous, win lock, mute, vol-, and vol+.) - function layer's gone to maximize compatibility. But Windows keys (lettered, not graphics - so "Win," "Menu"?) will be in there!

For the more soldering inclined, matching LEDs in stylish amber or green will be available as an add-on. (The more we get, the cheaper they get each!)

Why a full 87105 key set?
Two big reasons. One, this eliminates the need to locate a donor keyboard completely, restore those keys, then moogle it up. Two, this allows us to play around with colors a bit and potentially step up to PBT for some keys. Now how's that for awesome?
Oh, and three? It makes it easier for everyone to get Wyse (see what I did there?) and it makes it cheaper.
Why 105 keys? A) Just slightly more than half of you wanted that! B) Hey transplant them to a Leopold numpad! C) Simplifies ordering and maximizes compatibility.

Where Is It At?
Right now, we're in step 1 of however many it takes to get this going: planning and checking interest.
Take two now that the pipe is cleared up somewhat! Right now, everyone seems thrilled by the idea of PBT dye-sub as long as the colors are close/exact. Don't worry, the font will be. Thus pay attention to the PBT pricing below.
Windows need to be looked at more closely, since there's some compatibility issues there. I'd prefer not to delete them completely, because the keys will be substantially not-translucent due to the darker color. Low luminosity LEDs like Ducky won't show through without a window.

I'm STILL working on pricing currently, but here's the awesome news of the week. So far, if we were to go purely ABS and get just 50 sets ordered? That would get us to just $0.81 per keycap - about $70 a complete set. That's just $10 more than a standard 87 key set from SP!
Mixed PBT and ABS would be around $85 a complete set at 50 sets. (This is with 46 PBT keycaps and 41 ABS double-shot keycaps.) At 100 sets, we'd basically get PBT and ABS double-shot at straight ABS prices!
Add Amber LEDs: Up to 10, $3.50 shipped. 10-19, $2.50 shipped. Over 20, $2.00 shipped. (Amber is kinda expensive.)
Add Green LEDs: Up to 10, $2.50 shipped. 10-19, $1.75 shipped. Over 20, $1.25 shipped.
THESE ARE PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES BASED ON FULL SETS WITH CORRECTLY WINDOWED KEYS. (Also including shipping.)
Gotta get new numbers after we sort out the windows!

Planning Stuff!
There's a bit to discuss about what exactly we want on the keys that weren't there on the original, and obviously a consensus is necessary for group buys. Of course there's the thread, and also a handy poll on Google Docs.

CURRENT POLL:
Wyse87 Planning Round 1 | Results Page
Wyse87 Planning Round 2! | Results Page 2
Trying to figure out how best to set up the next one - any help would be appreciated!

Who's With Me?
Reserved!
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:37:48 by rootwyrm »
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
Re: [IC] Wyse87 Complete Sets
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 17:51:47 »
(Reserved For Things!)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:01:01 »
I'd be interested!

WYSE is awesome.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:27:25 »
I would also be interested.  I am however somewhat confused about the PBT?  Has SP gotten to the point where they can produce doubleshot PBT's well enough to do a group buy?
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:29:22 by MKULTRA »

Offline Sai

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:41:04 »
i am kinda interested but not gonna fill up the form atm. but surely i'll subscribe to this thread ! :)
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 02:00:04 »
I would also be interested.  I am however somewhat confused about the PBT?  Has SP gotten to the point where they can produce doubleshot PBT's well enough to do a group buy?

Sorry, should've been clearer - the PBT would be dye-sub - at least for the moment. However, they have got PBT to the point where it's not quite so much more than ABS.

And please, do fill out the form! This one might take a while depending on interest and specific features folks want. Plus I gotta find the Wyse font for mockups. <.<

Offline simkev

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:55:05 »
How about profile and font? If it is a replica it should use Cherry font and profile I think.
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 06:48:27 »
How about profile and font? If it is a replica it should use Cherry font and profile I think.

WYSE keycaps use standard SP font and profile.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:30:16 »
This might be cool to wait for full PBT doubleshots if there is any chance at that. Either way I'm interested but don't like the idea of mixing ABS and PBTs in a set. Should be all one or the other imo (maybe for RGBs an exception can be made). Every time I piece together a WYSE set the ctrl, alt, Caps lock, etc keys from the moogle/tsangan are always a lighter grey than the cleaned up F-keys and saved modifier keys.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:42:43 »
This might be cool to wait for full PBT doubleshots if there is any chance at that. Either way I'm interested but don't like the idea of mixing ABS and PBTs in a set. Should be all one or the other imo (maybe for RGBs an exception can be made). Every time I piece together a WYSE set the ctrl, alt, Caps lock, etc keys from the moogle/tsangan are always a lighter grey than the cleaned up F-keys and saved modifier keys.
Yeah thats what is stopping me from getting original WYSE keycaps

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 15:32:05 »

That, I don't know. I know SP is working on it, but I also have no idea if/when it will be available. The ABS/PBT arrangement would still be mandatory, as SP can't do windowed PBT keys. If you've ever seen a Wyse, you know that there's two different colors going on to begin with. The intent is for the PBT to be a 'standalone' color so it doesn't matter if it matches the ABS - it only needs to match itself. Problem solved!
And yes, the mismatch is also why a full set. End result is that even ABS-PBT overlap can be correctly matched, and even if slightly off from original? Doesn't matter because they match each other. :)

BTW: any significant difference in the lifespan of high output to low/moderate output LED's?

I can look into this. When I say brightness there, I'm talking millicandela ratings. Honestly they all should be around the same MTBF but I will definitely look into it. Also, hm, amber AND green.. that could look nice. :)

Derp, missed a question!
I'm not exactly sure why everyone wants PBT.  DS ABS is fine for me.

The reason for PBT/ABS mix is as I mentioned, being unable to do PBT windowed keys. Also the fact that PBT is a much more durable plastic, and much more resistant to shining - even over SP's lovely ABS work.
The downside is that there is already a minor wrench thrown into things in that finding a PBT spacebar seems to be particularly difficult. SP can't do PBT space bars, so honestly, expect some more sorting out of details. Though I will admit, the idea of an ABS doubleshot with the 'cloud of boobs' and "Wyse87" front printed has crossed my mind. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:50:15 by rootwyrm »

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 21:18:24 »
What about a set option that excludes all "normal" keys found on WYSE boards?

- All modifiers (moogle/tsangan, Tab, Shifts, Enter, Backspace)
- Esc, Arrows, dark gray F-row keys, PrtSc/ScLk/Pause cluster, Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn
- Special keys, like windowed keys, and light gray F1-F4 and F9-F12 (a separate idea that might be cool regardless of whether the rest of this idea comes through)
- .... basically, a set without alphanums, besides possibly the proper \| keys for ANSI/ISO

I suggest this because maybe people who might have all different kinds of sets from old WYSE boards already, or who plan on picking up more in the future to harvest caps and switches from, might just want to the remaining caps to complete those sets.. I for one might buy a few sets like these just so I don't have these throwaway sets sitting by themselves.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 00:31:35 »
What about a set option that excludes all "normal" keys found on WYSE boards?

- All modifiers (moogle/tsangan, Tab, Shifts, Enter, Backspace)
- Esc, Arrows, dark gray F-row keys, PrtSc/ScLk/Pause cluster, Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn
- Special keys, like windowed keys, and light gray F1-F4 and F9-F12 (a separate idea that might be cool regardless of whether the rest of this idea comes through)
- .... basically, a set without alphanums, besides possibly the proper \| keys for ANSI/ISO

I suggest this because maybe people who might have all different kinds of sets from old WYSE boards already, or who plan on picking up more in the future to harvest caps and switches from, might just want to the remaining caps to complete those sets.. I for one might buy a few sets like these just so I don't have these throwaway sets sitting by themselves.

Several reasons, actually.

1) There's probably about eleventy billion Moogle and Tsangan GBs going at any given time for approximately that exact thing.
2) Any time you introduce old keycaps into the mix, colors will not match. That's just science fact. Retr0bright can only do so much.
3) Part of what's helping to keep the prices so insanely low is the volume - 50 sets of 87 keys = 4,350 keycaps! Volume, volume, volume!
4) Making it a whole set means that the quality and colors will be 100% consistent across the whole keyboard.
5) See #3 - VOLUME! Seen what a Moogle kit costs? Ayup. See what our estimates so far are? Uhhuh. Basically, it's the most insane value deal in town. Seriously. Look at those estimates! (Note: I'm definitely not going to be getting rich off this either.)

Folks are certainly free to make their own mix and match sets, but part of what makes this possible is making it a full 87 key set. If this was just a Moogle set, or partial, it would require a lot more participants to get the prices down to a reasonable level. At 50 people, the price is actually cheaper than an individual keycap from SP when doing it as an 87 key set.

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:29:50 »
I would like to see an option/add-on for standard Wyse legends for the F5-F12 keys (with or without the windowed F9)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 10:24:38 »
I would like to see an option/add-on for standard Wyse legends for the F5-F12 keys (with or without the windowed F9)

We might be able to do this without affecting the price too terribly, actually. Wouldn't be able to say for sure till we get a solid count of how many folks are in. Really minor stuff like that, where we're deleting extras so it's just 'print pretty much stock' can likely be worked in.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 01:56:00 »
I think instead of complicating this with PBT etc you should just go ahead and do the GB with ABS.  Who knows how long the PBT DS is gonna take to be cost efficient and manageable, and who knows if they'll have the right colours.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 03:02:00 »
I think instead of complicating this with PBT etc you should just go ahead and do the GB with ABS.  Who knows how long the PBT DS is gonna take to be cost efficient and manageable, and who knows if they'll have the right colours.

Well, that's why as it sits the deal with PBT is looking like this:
  • Option A: PBT dye-sub for letter color, ABS double-shot for the rest, so colors are consistent.
  • Option B: All ABS double-shot, which lowers the overall cost.
Rest assured, color consistency is foremost in my mind. (My purchasing history with monitors alone will verify that.) So there will be "fun" with color rings and Pantone books and trying to find somebody's colorimeter to borrow. So there's no need to worry about the color side of things with PBT unless you want absolute 100% same-as-originally-made. (Well except they won't be either way, but you know what I mean!) It just means "WOO! Super durable keycaps that won't shine for a very very long time" in this context.

I was going to get a picture of a QFR sporting my set to show roughly what it looks like, but two problems have arisen. One, I've gotten two bad QFR's (one with 6 dud switches, second has two duds and other electrical weirdness); two, my caps aren't cleaning with retr0bright and 7 of them have literally shattered either on pull or install.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 10:25:03 »
All abs double shots and I'm down!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline simkev

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 11:57:54 »
Instead of the usual base kit, mod kit and tsangan kit make two kits, one with 1.25u modifiers and 6.25u space and one kit with 1.5u modifiers and 7u space.
Make each kit include a 1.75u shift and an off-centered caps lock and everybody should be happy.
As it is now it feels kinda crappy if you want to use sp keycaps on a winkeyless board that you will have to pay for a lot of keys that you dont use.
Just an idea.
i am totally in on this, WYSE keys are awesome!
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:53:37 »
  • Option A: PBT dye-sub for letter color, ABS double-shot for the rest, so colors are consistent.
Rest assured, color consistency is foremost in my mind. (My purchasing history with monitors alone will verify that.)

I don't mind Option B as we have yet to get an all inclusive all WYSE key-set using the original colours.  Plus there is already a Tsangan Kit floating around that would help this Group Buy by keeping it cheap all up.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:34:02 »
Rest assured, color consistency is foremost in my mind. (My purchasing history with monitors alone will verify that.)

I don't mind Option B as we have yet to get an all inclusive all WYSE key-set using the original colours.  Plus there is already a Tsangan Kit floating around that would help this Group Buy by keeping it cheap all up.

Yeah same here, and the mixture between PBT and ABS on a keyboard would annoy me..

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:12:37 »
Lots of good feedback, much thanks to everyone!

Lots of folks want it straight ABS, so we can definitely do that. Mind the PBT split was designed around 'most frequently used' so letters, numbers, shift key. But folks want ABS, so we can definitely do ABS. Not like they won't look awesome either way.

Definitely the possibility of a 1.25x mod set and a 1.5x mod set, but too many changes will push the price up. I think we can definitely do the 1.25/1.5 though. Remember that part of what keeps costs so low here is the quantity. (And hey, if you have winkeyless, there's the classifieds, right? Plus who doesn't want a key labeled "Win"?)

Will put up poll round two in a little bit so we can further narrow things down.

EDIT: Also of note, Amazon has pulled the QFR from sale due to a defective batch.. don't know what's going on there. :/
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:15:45 by rootwyrm »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:23:20 »

Lots of folks want it straight ABS, so we can definitely do that. Mind the PBT split was designed around 'most frequently used' so letters, numbers, shift key. But folks want ABS, so we can definitely do ABS. Not like they won't look awesome either way.

It's not that we all love the ABS material it's because there are more precise colour selections available within the ABS gamut.  PBT is very different with colour and even Melissa can not guarantee any selections using that material.

SP has been using the ABS selection for some years now so they know how to achieve a unified colour selection (please no negative comments required).

Hence for simplicity you choose ABS for misery and pain you can go the PBT route and see what it's like.  Even though we have yet to purchase a complete key-set made out of PBT yet.  If you are feeling adventurous then we can all go the PBT train and see what it's like, but I'm thinking the Tsangan WYSE sets will all be redundant with this set if it goes all PBT.

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:30:28 »
I'm excited about the prospect of having a complete, fitting and matching Wyse set for my 87 TKL.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 05:29:46 »

It's not that we all love the ABS material it's because there are more precise colour selections available within the ABS gamut.  PBT is very different with colour and even Melissa can not guarantee any selections using that material.

SP has been using the ABS selection for some years now so they know how to achieve a unified colour selection (please no negative comments required).

Oh, no, you pretty much mostly got it. The truth of it is: Melissa can guarantee that PBT colors will match the PBT color ring. They cannot guarantee that ABS colors will match PBT and vice versa. Now, that said, it can be dialed out by either A) using PBT uniformly for one color and ABS uniformly for the other, meaning that each color is uniform B) matching on ABS and PBT color rings and then comparing the results post-manufacture.
Not going to lie; I have done it. It is extremely hard, even for me, and I can spot pink shift from yellow shift from dim CCFL on LCDs unassisted. It would require some prototyping and there's no guarantee it would work.

Hence for simplicity you choose ABS for misery and pain you can go the PBT route and see what it's like.  Even though we have yet to purchase a complete key-set made out of PBT yet.  If you are feeling adventurous then we can all go the PBT train and see what it's like, but I'm thinking the Tsangan WYSE sets will all be redundant with this set if it goes all PBT.

Yes, and the price of the full PBT set is substantially higher. Color selection is also severely limited meaning that if we did all 87-105 in PBT, it would be a very different color scheme, something I'd hope to avoid. The objective is to come as close to the original Wyse look as possible, and with the mix, this is certainly doable. The 'dark' ABS is not a problem. The 'light' PBT is a minor problem. So, something we do need to shake out.

POLL ROUND TWO GO UP NAO! Let's see the what and why so we can equip as many keyboards as possible with awesome. :)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 07:11:52 »
Do we stay absolutely true to the colors or do we consider changing them? *

That question is unclear.  With yes or no you could say

Yes we do want absolute true colors.

or

Yes we do consider changing them

or

No we don't consider changing them

or

No we don't want to stay true to original colours.

I want the the original colours, so I answered yes.

Also the poll about which keycaps we would buy for which keyboard is broken.  I only want Filco, but I can't choose it that way. 

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:38:30 »
Do we stay absolutely true to the colors or do we consider changing them? *

That question is unclear.  With yes or no you could say

Yes we do want absolute true colors.

or

Yes we do consider changing them

or

No we don't consider changing them

or

No we don't want to stay true to original colours.

I want the the original colours, so I answered yes.

Okay, will fix that in a minute or two here. Bit crazy today so poking my head into GH every so often before I start hitting people with blunt objects elsewhere. ;)

But yes, that's pretty much what we're looking to figure out. Yes means "exact color reproduction" and no means "let's explore other colors."

Also the poll about which keycaps we would buy for which keyboard is broken.  I only want Filco, but I can't choose it that way. 

Not sure what you mean. Should just be a matter of "check the box for Filco" for Q1 and then select price for the "QuickFire Trigger, Ducky, Filco, 101-104 key ANSI". Which part was broken?
EDIT: Ooooh, I see.. let me fix that. That is definitely unusable as is. Didn't realize it was using that particularly broken logic. Thanks a bunch, Google, you morons.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:42:45 by rootwyrm »

Offline deltr

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 15:02:45 »
I am totally interested!

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 15:32:41 »
... wow, lots of people actually wanting 104-105 key sets! That was pretty unexpected and to be honest, pretty awesome by my estimation. (Okay so I prefer 104 myself. So sue me.)

Also people really like that Wyse color scheme. I can dig it. Pretty please keep those responses coming - especially the price point you all want us to hit. This is important in order to know how many sets we'll need to get ordered!

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 03:25:32 »
Would be interested in 87 full pbt.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 09:02:01 »
I'd be interested in a set if there is an additional ISO pack option (like offering a set with a big enter key, small left shift key and a couple of blank keys per row to exchange the "wrong" ansi keys).

Are you considering an ISO option?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 22:58:56 »
So what is the time frame you have for starting this GB?  Cause I'm psyched about it.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:45:08 »
So what is the time frame you have for starting this GB?  Cause I'm psyched about it.

Still not determined.. got slammed with stuff that needs done last week, still sorting through responses.. not a whole lot, which is kinda disappointing. A lot of folks are gung-ho about the low pricepoint, but I'm not seeing the interest required for us to hit that price point.

Also waiting to see what's up with the QuickFire XT so we can make sure we get that one right as well - biggest concern being the space bar. Unfortunately we're not expecting to see that one till late April/Early March right now. So it'll be a bit. :(

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 19:00:50 »
I imagine interest picking up when klaxxon, toxic, and retro DSA GBs come to a close..

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 07:53:04 »
I imagine interest picking up when klaxxon, toxic, and retro DSA GBs come to a close..

Please hold on.  There's a whole lot of money being burned on the 'above' key-sets.  Very prudent to wait till these babies are done and your WYSE set will gather far more interest.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 15:48:13 »

Please hold on.  There's a whole lot of money being burned on the 'above' key-sets.  Very prudent to wait till these babies are done and your WYSE set will gather far more interest.

Ayup, that's why I'm not too worried about it and I'm saying "around March." It was originally planned around QFR, but there's a huge amount of folks looking for 104-105 key. Plus we've got what, 9 new keyboards between last month and March? So, going to sort out the looks somewhat, and wait till we've got a raft of new keycap carriers  before I get too worried. :)

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 19:57:39 »
I'm interested.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:30:34 »
I have a suggestion.

IF you stick to original WYSE colors (or at least as close as SP can get) and IF you go with all ABS doubleshots, would you consider also offering a moogle kit and a partial modifier set for compaibility with the older WYSE terminal keyboard sets?

For those of us who already have old WYSE caps, a moogle plus a partial modifier set would allow us to make those a complete set. You'd be ordering those keys anyway in the full sets, and I don't think this would take away from people ordering full sets. Call it a WY85 or WY60 compatibility set. For those keyboards you already have the alphas, F-row, arrow keys, and most of the numpad. You would basically just need the 9 keys above the arrow cluster, all of the side and bottom modifiers, a spacebar, and possibly the outer edge keys from the numpad. You could also include the "<" and ">" keys for full WY85 compatibility.

I don't know how many people out there have these old terminal board key sets, but I personally would be interested in about 10 of these compatibility sets and moogle kits unless I sold my WY85 keys first, in which case the new owners of those keys would probably still want these.

I know the colors don't match perfectly, but they would match as well as previous moogle kits have done. The WYSE tsangan kit I just bought matches my old WYSE keys close enough for me...

Again, this is IF you decide on going with all ABS keys and use the "original" WYSE color scheme.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to add that the WY85 boards also need an ESC key. Don't know about the 60 or other terminal boards
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:42:27 by whiskytango »
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:43:22 »
I have a suggestion.

IF you stick to original WYSE colors (or at least as close as SP can get) and IF you go with all ABS doubleshots, would you consider also offering a moogle kit and a partial modifier set for compaibility with the older WYSE terminal keyboard sets?

For those of us who already have old WYSE caps, a moogle plus a partial modifier set would allow us to make those a complete set. You'd be ordering those keys anyway in the full sets, and I don't think this would take away from people ordering full sets. Call it a WY85 or WY60 compatibility set. For those keyboards you already have the alphas, F-row, arrow keys, and most of the numpad. You would basically just need the 9 keys above the arrow cluster, all of the side and bottom modifiers, a spacebar, and possibly the outer edge keys from the numpad. You could also include the "<" and ">" keys for full WY85 compatibility.

I don't know how many people out there have these old terminal board key sets, but I personally would be interested in about 10 of these compatibility sets and moogle kits unless I sold my WY85 keys first, in which case the new owners of those keys would probably still want these.

I know the colors don't match perfectly, but they would match as well as previous moogle kits have done. The WYSE tsangan kit I just bought matches my old WYSE keys close enough for me...

Again, this is IF you decide on going with all ABS keys and use the "original" WYSE color scheme.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to add that the WY85 boards also need an ESC key. Don't know about the 60 or other terminal boards

I think this is a good idea.  Unfortunately idk if this will get off the ground anytime soon since we have Rain Drop, CCnG, Klaxon, Toxic, DSA all going on right now.  Pretty crazy,

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:55:45 »
Unfortunately idk if this will get off the ground anytime soon since we have Rain Drop, CCnG, Klaxon, Toxic, DSA all going on right now.  Pretty crazy,

I think there will always be another Group Buy for key-sets being set up all the time.  If you want to wait till everyone else finishes then you may be waiting for the rest of this year and next.

The DSA was the one I really wanted but next will be Toxic (when the payment is announced), followed by Rain Drop and of course the old CCnG.  I think I can squeeze in a nice set of WYSE caps.

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 20:10:12 »
A few ideas for the Wyse Set:

Include a Center Stemmed Caps Lock Key in the Set
Include a Blue on Grey 'GEEK HACK' Key (Same Colour as Modifiers)
Have the option to purchase the Modifiers Only (all of the grey keys) for people who have pulled keys off old keyboards.
Have the option to purchase the Space Bar by itself (for completing old sets, and some people like to have more than one as this key wears out faster than the rest).
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 14:55:31 »
^What he said. Good ideas. I know there are other GBs in the works right now, but as long as these things take to finish, I would love to see this get going.

Oh and do a moogle too
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2013, 14:57:20 by whiskytango »

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:22:26 »
I like the idea of a full 87 key set because I have learned that there are many original WYSE keyboards with varying keys and compatibility with current keyboards ... so odds are two people will need different "moogles" to complete their particular WYSE set.  Instead of watching Ebay for old dirtys you could get a fresh one with all keys.  The alternative would be offer a bunch of different WYSE moogle kits that might be more confusing - even if it is cheaper.  "I need WYSE kit 7 but I accidentally bought WYSE kit 11."

Anyway - this is relevant to my interests :)
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline codymaust

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:39:47 »
Interested in either all PBT Dyesub or all ABS Doubleshot, not a mixture.

Already participating in two GBs though, so I would advise holding off as others have said. There are some very popular GBs going on right now

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 21:26:45 »
I like the idea of a full 87 key set because I have learned that there are many original WYSE keyboards with varying keys and compatibility with current keyboards ... so odds are two people will need different "moogles" to complete their particular WYSE set.  Instead of watching Ebay for old dirtys you could get a fresh one with all keys.  The alternative would be offer a bunch of different WYSE moogle kits that might be more confusing - even if it is cheaper.  "I need WYSE kit 7 but I accidentally bought WYSE kit 11."

Anyway - this is relevant to my interests :)

I don't think it would be confusing if you kept it simple. I think a lot of people have the PCE version of the keys which a regular moogle would fix (caps lock + bottom row). For the other terminal boards like the 50 and 60, they need a lot of keys to make them right, so just offer the modifiers as a separate set. Yes, you would get some redundant keys, but not too many. That's only two extra sets.

Or, offer the moogle and a partial modifier set. You're still only offering two extra sets, and if you got the moogle and a partial mod set, it would make a complete modifier set plus a spacebar. Although I would probably just make the spacebars be available by them selves.

So if you got a base set, a moogle, a partial mod set, and a spacebar, you have a full 87 key set and theoretically should cost the same as if it was offered as one full set. So for those that would have wanted a full set, they get it for the same price (possibly lower depending on how the tiers breakout)

The added bonus is that you have the option to not purchase a base set if you already have these keys. I think this could drive up the overall number of keys ordered and reduce cost for everybody. And you wouldn't have to worry too much about color matching because you'd be replacing all the dark gray keys only. Except for the F-row.

I just don't think it would be all that complicated to offer this set in pieces so that you can pick and choose if you only want some keys. If you want a whole new set, just order them all and it shouldn't be any more expensive, and possibly would be less expensive, than if only whole sets were offered.

Offline WarNutts

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 13:20:01 »
Love the wyse colors.  Count me in on this to deck out my fico 104!

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 06:13:40 »
Definitely offer a full moogle and tsangan kit.  It is very hard to find WYSE moogles atm.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 07:10:42 »
A GB was just recently run for wyse tsangans. You can still buy them from techkeys

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 08:17:47 »
Thanks for the info, did not know that

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 01:20:28 »
down for 87 abs or pbt. i don't care.