Author Topic: Lens Suggestions  (Read 2555 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Lens Suggestions
« on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 23:59:13 »
So, I've been looking for a nice macro lens for a while, but all the quality ones are stupid expensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an F-Mount macro lens that's $350 or less?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Re: Lens Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 02:31:48 »
So, I've been looking for a nice macro lens for a while, but all the quality ones are stupid expensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an F-Mount macro lens that's $350 or less?

If you can stretch a little more, the Rokinon lenses are very well regarded. I've seen some photos done by them, and they are tact sharp without much color fringing. Most Rokinon lenses are manual focus however.

The one I'm referring to is the Rokinon 100mm F2.8. 100mm is the ideal macro lens IMO. I have a Canon 100mm F2.8L, and have used the 70-200MM F2.8L I, and overall, I like the 100mm more. The macro on the 100mm is much sharper and the bokeh / depth of field is much wider on the 100mm F2.8L.

I'm not sure what the AE chip is (been out of the photography gear game for a little while). Photo exchange says that it allows the lens to use the camera's AF system, if it supports it. If you have an F-mount, you probably own a newer Full Frame camera (D810, or similar)

Here's the answer from: photo exchange

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/61141/what-does-the-built-in-ae-chip-for-nikon-do-on-a-rokinon-lens

I've also heard great stuff about the Sigma 105mm, but the build quality is a little lacking on it with their plastic finishing imo.

If you want to look at quality 2nd hand gear from people who know what they're doing, I used to buy photography equipment from fredmiranda.com. Membership is required ($$$), but it is very worth it. I believe my friends + family have purchased 5 L lenses + 3 Canon bodies from the site.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 05:43:35 »
Look out for a Nikkor 105mm AF or AF-D. The old ones. They sell around that price on ebay sometimes.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 06:04:10 »
General question about lenses - do nost lenses (macro or otherwise) fit most DSLRs?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 12:25:36 »
Nubbs, what are you shooting? At this price, I think this is your best bet: https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-200mm-f-4-micro-if-ai-manual-focus-lens-52.html

It's manual focus, but for macro that shouldn't matter. It only stops down to f/4 which is all you need if you're shooting products or in a studio environment, but if you're shooting things like portraits outside its not an optimal choice. The newer AF version is a much better lens, but costs like 5 times more.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 15:36:33 »
What's that lens that makes females look hotter called.. /serious question..

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 15:39:16 »

Serious answer: a 100-140mm portrait lens with good studio lighting.  Longer focal lengths flatten features slightly, giving faces a little bit softer, more pleasant look.  Shoot from eye level or slightly above.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 16:12:26 »

Serious answer: a 100-140mm portrait lens with good studio lighting.  Longer focal lengths flatten features slightly, giving faces a little bit softer, more pleasant look.  Shoot from eye level or slightly above.

is this portrait only ?

Is there a whole body hotter lens ?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 16:31:38 »
Look out for a Nikkor 105mm AF or AF-D. The old ones. They sell around that price on ebay sometimes.

I found a couple for under $300 (if just), but was also looking at a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di since I found one for $200.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 18:49:08 »
Tamron doesn't hold a candle to anything Nikkor. You could go for it, but you will notice the difference.

The Nikkor 200mm f/4 micro that spopepro mentioned, while having a longer focal length, won't focus as close as the 105mm. It has a 1:2 reproduction ratio compared to the 105's 1:1. Also, 105mm can be very useful for regular keyboard related shots, while 200mm isn't so much. With the 105mm you have plenty of room between the front of the lens and the subject in order to get good lighting, etc.
github

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 20:22:20 »
Try the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100. Their glass quality is pretty good. Their 16-28mm F2.8 was very good when I used it.

The barrel itself feels really well built.

$380.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 22:43:53 »
Long time since I posted, but I finally grabbed a lens.  I waited too long on the Tamron (which actually had some great reviews), but I ended up grabbing the Nikon 105mm F/2.8 AF-D Micro Nikkor for $300.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 14:06:55 »
Long time since I posted, but I finally grabbed a lens.  I waited too long on the Tamron (which actually had some great reviews), but I ended up grabbing the Nikon 105mm F/2.8 AF-D Micro Nikkor for $300.
Brothers
github