geekhack Community > Off Topic

Facebook whistleblower Testimony

<< < (5/6) > >>

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Thu, 21 October 2021, 09:01:11 ---
--- Quote from: Leslieann on Thu, 21 October 2021, 03:53:29 ---
A few years ago people would laugh if you said you ignored 99% of scientists and "did your homework" on Facebook and Youtube

--- End quote ---

It is worse than you say. Why use the lame word "homework"?

They have been indoctrinated to call (and actually believe that) watching random Youtube videos "doing research"

--- End quote ---

It's legitimate research depending on the "Lvl" of depth required.

They put citation on the more sci-ency //medical stuff.

Leslieann:
Youtube can be research...
I'd trust Louis Rossman with my electronics any day, but I can also verify he knows what the hell he's doing and I'm not asking him for Covid advice.

That's the problem, these people fall into a circle jerk between creators and take it as fact.
Joe says Mary said it worked and he trusts Mary.
Mary said Tom said it worked and she trusts Tom.
Tom heard it from Susan, who he trusts.
Susan actually heard from Joe who heard it from a friend of a friend's unkle's mother who heard it from the village idiot.
And all of them are just trying to garner views and ad revenue.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 23 October 2021, 04:53:39 ---heard it from a friend of a friend's unkle's mother who heard it from the village idiot.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly the world of peer review though, it's always been like this.

Scientific publication just looks more <official> because the turn over process is laborious/expensive and slow. So, it's as if they done'gud at least for a little while.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 23 October 2021, 04:53:39 ---
ad revenue.

--- End quote ---

When Google created a method to obtain money from mere clicks without regard to the "quality" of the clicks, they set up an environment far more conducive to entertainment than information.

I don't think that it is an exaggeration to say that this new environment, as it has unfolded and evolved to where it is today, has created a chaos monster of global dimensions. Three-quarters of a century ago, in the only comparable reformation in recent history, television revolutionized popular entertainment away from reading but was nevertheless generally restrained by regulation, common sense morality, and respect for reason. There was a clear line between fact and fiction. Even as recently as "The X-Files" in the 1990s there was an clear implicit sense that it was being presented as fiction rather than fact.

Until the FCC abdicated its responsibility in the 1980s, there was a general expectation and trust that a modicum of social responsibility was required to pass the barrier to entry in mass media. Now, both the barrier and the trust have been swept away.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sat, 23 October 2021, 06:07:52 ---
--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 23 October 2021, 04:53:39 ---heard it from a friend of a friend's unkle's mother who heard it from the village idiot.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly the world of peer review though, it's always been like this.

Scientific publication just looks more <official> because the turn over process is laborious/expensive and slow. So, it's as if they done'gud at least for a little while.

--- End quote ---

Scientific/peer review is not based on views but instead verifying facts not clicks and sensationalism, yes there is some, but you give FAR, FAR too much credit to the conspiracy side of things.

From experience I can tell you, there is zero peer review and actual science in the conspiracy theory "industry".* It really and truly is a circle jerk, each person is just taking what everyone else hands them and regurgitates it without fact checking or verifying ANYTHING. Word of mouth drives all of it and the source has almost zero value. But if you want an example... There was a Q Youtube personality recently who was accused of working for the CIA... Why? Because the last 3 letters of their first name are cia. Someone started a rumor about it and that was all it took for that rumor to spread like wildfire and almost destroy their entire career.

You're pulling a "both sides" here but it's a false equivalency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version