Author Topic: Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Leopard223

Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?
« on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 16:55:01 »
So I have a CF plate made for a hand wire project that I don't have any time or mental strength to do [again], but I found a PCB that can fit the already made plate and case, only issue is that the plate does not have any cutouts that correlates with that PCB cutouts, so I thought about drilling holes into the plate but I'm worried the plate will explode or the carbon fiber will get messed up, I'm not familiar with CF so I don't know how to approach it.
From what I know it's a 3K carbon fiber, Twill, I think it's coated in resin? not really sure but the surface is smooth to the touch.

Do I even need to secure the PCB to the plate? I'm worried about the PCB detaching frm the switches over time as the PCB is hotswap.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 10:05:59 »
I have not cut carbon fibre, only fibreglass, so I don't know which tools are best.
But I do know that the dust is no joke. Do wear gloves, protective goggles and dust mask. Professionals use a draft table or something that collects dust so that it does not get around in the room. I often mount a vacuum cleaner hose in a vice right next to the part I work on (fibreglass). Work on some paper to dispose of right away. Wipe off all surface with wet paper towel. Change clothes afterwards.
Man must shape his tools lest they shape him
-- Arthur Miller

Offline Leopard223

Re: Can I drill holes into a Carbon Fiber plate?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 15:50:05 »
I have not cut carbon fibre, only fibreglass, so I don't know which tools are best.
But I do know that the dust is no joke. Do wear gloves, protective goggles and dust mask. Professionals use a draft table or something that collects dust so that it does not get around in the room. I often mount a vacuum cleaner hose in a vice right next to the part I work on (fibreglass). Work on some paper to dispose of right away. Wipe off all surface with wet paper towel. Change clothes afterwards.
Seems like I am not prepared to do this yet, thank you for the precautions advice!