geekhack Community > Keyboards

New Kailh hotswapable sockets, up to 6000 cycles

(1/2) > >>

estux:
https://twitter.com/kailhswitch/status/1430059434219241474?s=21

Has anyone tried these already? They are available in Aliexpress.

I wonder when we will start seeing PCBs with them.

not_irc:
Interesting, are there ISO tkl pcb with those?

Rafen:
I hope new PCBs start coming with this version of socket.

Leslieann:
While awesome, I question if they really tested the longevity or just a slight tweak to make it better and then slapped some random number on it, it only has to last long enough to reach end of warranty cycle on most boards.

Also, this doesn't address one of the biggest problems with this design, that it's held to the underside of the PCB.
This has led to many sockets being ripped off the pcb, and why Novelkeys tells you to disassemble the keyboard when doing swaps so you can hold the socket and keep it from being ripped off. Some keyboard designs do not open easily. This too could be mitigated with a design guide to get companies to place support under the sockets, but I have yet to ever hear of it.

not_irc:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Mon, 06 December 2021, 20:15:06 ---While awesome, I question if they really tested the longevity or just a slight tweak to make it better and then slapped some random number on it, it only has to last long enough to reach end of warranty cycle on most boards.

Also, this doesn't address one of the biggest problems with this design, that it's held to the underside of the PCB.
This has led to many sockets being ripped off the pcb, and why Novelkeys tells you to disassemble the keyboard when doing swaps so you can hold the socket and keep it from being ripped off. Some keyboard designs do not open easily. This too could be mitigated with a design guide to get companies to place support under the sockets, but I have yet to ever hear of it.

--- End quote ---

A tray mount with uniform support under the pcb could obtain that, but it would ruin all the elastic and "sound" properties of pcb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version