geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] G80/81-3000 MX metal plate (plan update 2018-03-18, more features added)

(1/6) > >>

ojrask:
UPDATE 2018-03-18

Enhancements to the original design.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93474.msg2579168#msg2579168

UPDATE 2018-03-10

I have to postpone possible GB for now but this will allow me to put some more time into refining the design and features of the plate. Please see my update:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93474.msg2574540#msg2574540

UPDATE 2018-02-18

IC FORM: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSerifYSszJi8dr86CNnbysPNOfLk4oN4Ma5I3BmA_gx4-n_xg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Currently looking like a single plate would cost 55-65 USD, depending on shipping destination. The price includes the plate, packing materials, and shipping to me and to you.

See more info on update and pricing at the bottom of the post. Also picture of proto in there.

I'm working on a metal plate for my G81-3000 to allow using MX switches in a handwire setup. Not sure what material I want to use but I think aluminum or steel is the best option. Brass would be nice but I guess it will be pricier. I am trying to make the plate work with the stock case as much as possible (e.g. require as little cutting of plastic as possible). I think the plate would work inside a G80-3000 case as well with no changes.

Would folks be interested in buying these plates via a GB or similar?

The plate is currently designed for my personal layout preferences, but I guess a more flexible layout design is possible if enough people are interested. Current design has

- WKL-ish bottom row (1.5u; 1u; 1.5u; 7u; 1.5u; 1u; 1.5u)
- Split right shift (1.75u; 1u)
- Split backspace (1u; 1u)
- Otherwise regular 104-style ANSI layout.

The plate supports plate mounted or PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers. I might add Costar support if enough people want it. I would prefer not to though, makes the plate more complicated from the looks of it.

You can find my DIY thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93278.0

I'm quite certain that using a plate and PCB together in an unmodded G80/G81-3000 case is not possible, so it would either have to be a plate or then a PCB. If someone knows how to create a plate that supports putting a PCB under it with minor case mods I would really appreciate it.

I received a local laser cutter's quote and it was around 40€ a piece for around 50 orders, so I will be looking for some other providers for alternative prices (a single plate from the vendor was around 160€). I'm trying to get some 3D printer or just regular paper printer prototypes done soon.

UPDATE 2018-02-18

I have received a wooden prototype plate and made adjustments according to what I found when trying to install it. Now the design is final for my tastes. I will not be implementing a more universal layout as plate-mounting makes handling switch installation painful regarding alignment and so on, and you would most probably have trouble when changing caps and whatnot.

So the layout this plate support will be the following:

The changes the case requires when using this plate are minor but there is possibly quite many small changes in order:

1. You need to carve out space for a switch for both vertical 2u switches and stabilizers,
2. You need to make small carveouts for wiring when doing columns and final wiring from the matrix to a controller,
3. You need to make a way to have the controller stick somewhere, so it does not shake around and get broken.

Here is a picture of the wooden prototype which I received:

PRICING

I have received preliminary pricing for a small batch of plates. I will be ordering around 5 minimum regardless if anyone wants to join a GB or not, but the more the merrier.

I have aluminum and stainless steel available, but you would need to do things like anodizing yourself after you receive the plate.

Aluminum would be around 25 USD per plate, while stainless steel would be around 20 USD per plate. For all MOQs the plate price would be the same (unless we get super high in order quantities I presume). Shipping varies a bit between MOQs so I will have to verify the shipping costs to me (and later on to you).

For 10 aluminum plates the shipping to me would be 40 USD, while for 10 stainless steel plates the shipping would be 70 USD.

I need to verify shipping costs from the local postal service so I can calculate a price per plate and shipping properly for a GB. Presumably the shipping from Finland to EU is around 20 USD while from Finland to USA is around 30 USD.

I also need to check what tax laws I need to consider when organizing a GB. I think as I am not making a profit the laws are not as strict.

All in all expect the following pricing:

In a 5 plate GB when ordering from inside EU,
For a single aluminum plate you'd be paying 25USD + 40/5USD + 20USD = 53USD total
For a single stainless steel plate you'd be paying 20USD + 70/5USD + 20USD = 54USD total

In a 10 plate GB when ordering from inside EU,
For a single aluminum plate you'd be paying 25USD + 40/10USD + 20USD = 49USD total
For a single stainless steel plate you'd be paying 20USD + 70/10USD + 20USD = 47USD total

(In each add 10 USD to accomodate approximate shipping to USA and Asia.)

Packaging materials do cost a bit so I guess we are looking at around $60 per plate at 5 MOQ. $55ish at 10 MOQ I think. If we happen to get a large quantity of buyers I need to verify pricing for that.

I do not wish to get profit from a GB but only to offset costs and getting people stuff they might want.

The GB would be only for the raw metal plate, no kits or switches or screws or anything.

ojrask:
Made a paper prototype today to verify my measurements and design. Apart from a few minor details the plate should work now if produced properly. Will continue looking for a shop that can make a cheapish prototype.

ojrask:
I have been receiving some local offers on plate laser cutting for the current prototype:

1 plate: 90-200 euros for stainless steel, over that for aluminum.
20ish plates: 40-80 euros for stainless steel. Aluminum around the same.

Still waiting for more accurate offers from a few places.

A wooden prototype I could make happen at around 30-40 euros per plate, which is a hit I can easily take.

I also found a local laser cutting lab which allows cutting for just material costs but that one is limited to plastics only. Acrylic or ABS a bad choice? Also, this would mean more manual work for me.

Shipping from Finland with good packaging can cost 40 euros per shipment. Going to do checking on shipping services that make it easier to ship smaller packages.

TanHin:
I metal plate for G80-3000  ;D

ojrask:

--- Quote from: TanHin on Sun, 14 January 2018, 07:28:56 ---I metal plate for G80-3000  ;D

--- End quote ---

Right now the design would mean taking out the MX PCB in one, yes. I have a G81-3000 which is the main goal for this plate. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version