geekhack Community > Keyboards

Love MX Browns? Post here. (Hate them? Go away.)

<< < (40/40)

StefanVoda:

--- Quote ---The highest common weight I see used with MX Browns is 63.5 G 15mm. So 62 G is entirely reasonable in this context. You may wish to consider 14mm 62 G springs, which are enough to power the spacebar on some Ergo Clear builds.

In short, if you want 65 G, I recommend building Ergo Clears or something similar [there are many choices these days.] For Browns, I would say that 55 - 63.5 G springs are the most common weights.

--- End quote ---

Sadly I never really like short springs. Might try it with Browns for giggles.
Tried Ergo Clears! My favourite configuration is with 65g 16mm springs!

Thanks for sharing!

HungerMechanic:
Some punchy 'light' springs may work well with Browns. If you like Long springs, 55 G 16mm will work. You might even try 18mm.

Your Ergo Clear configuration sounds good. For Durock Medium Tactiles [a different 'Ergo Clear'], you might particularly enjoy the RARA V2 with the 63.5 G ThiccThocc DL springs. Sure, they are loud springs, maybe pingy, but this is where 63-5 G 18-22mm springs make sense. [Would make sense in Durock "Midnight" tactiles, as well.] You can have a smooth and punchy Ergo Clear with huge springs in that range.

Rhienfo:

--- Quote from: HungerMechanic on Mon, 24 July 2023, 22:43:26 ---Large-bump tactiles can be scratchy. I think that the stronger tactile leaf can lead to greater noise and scratch. Plus, stronger springs tend to be louder.*

But it doesn't have to be this way. Some well-built large tactiles are very smooth. For example, Holy Bobas [Halo stem in Boba housing] are pretty smooth. You only really need to lube the stem. With 3204 or 205g0. And spring, of course.

So I think heavy-tactile scratch in large part is a result of poor manufacturing practices. If you try the new MMD Princess, which are extraordinarily cheap, they are built fairly smooth, and I wouldn't characterize them as 'scratchy.'

55 G light-tactiles isn't so bad. KTT Mallo is ok in that weight. But I agree that, in Brown-like switches, it's dangerous to go lightweight. Strangely, it seems to work fine with a lot of heavy-tactiles. Like HPs, U4T, and U4. I think it's because the large tactile bump still contributes a lot to the peak weight/force of the switch, despite the weaker spring. [And powerful 55 G L springs work very well with T1s, Ergo Clears, etc...]

Anyway, 55 G Browns would work, although that isn't a good weight for Cherry in my experience. Maybe 55 G 14mm TX, as some people have recommended. 63.5 G is popular as a heavy Brown, it seems to be good with light-tactiles. 55 G Ergo Clears work surprisingly-well. You might want to try TTC Watermelon Milkshake or Golden Brown V2 - 3 as examples of somewhat heavier Browns. Durock also uses 67 G as standard weight in Durock Light Tactile. It's excessive, IMHO, but maybe TTC strikes a better middle-ground.

55 G linears work. There's WS Yellow, which I think is around that weight. I liked it better than 55 G Cherry Brown. Akko Cream Yellow V3 Pro is around 50 G 18mm. For weights like this in tactiles, I think 52 G OUTEMU springs are okay with Silent Sky stems in smooth linear housings.

*I think that light-tactiles are actually more vulnerable to manufacturing imperfections and design flaws. Because any deviation from linear and limited-bump will be noticed. Any deviation from the ideal push-feel stands out.

Look how hard it is to find a decent out-of-box Brown. Conversely, there are several more tactile switches that are fine or even good out-of-box. Any small thing that goes wrong on a light-tactile is noticeable. They require skill to perfect.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the great amount of detail with this. I'm actually planning on buying a new batch of hyperglide browns for an ergo build, and will probably use 62g springs cause that is what I'm used to. Definitely would wanna try out 55g linears on like a 40s through-hole type build though cause I think that would be a cool project

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version