Author Topic: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy  (Read 179757 times)

Offline elton5354

Re: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 21:32:02 »
Hey guys.

I don't have time to do anything tonight. Just got home so I'll do the spreadsheets tomorrow night. What I can say from looking at the spreadsheet is that it's around 60 sets.

I'm told I can get 2 batches of 30sets. I'll try to start invoicing over the weekend.

Cheers

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:07:58 »
Hey guys.

I don't have time to do anything tonight. Just got home so I'll do the spreadsheets tomorrow night. What I can say from looking at the spreadsheet is that it's around 60 sets.

I'm told I can get 2 batches of 30sets. I'll try to start invoicing over the weekend.

Cheers

Awww yeeee
More love for everyone
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:15:53 »
Man a good price and a small run.  Good luck to all those that want in

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 02:56:32 »
Agreed - it's a great price for what you get.  The craftsmanship on these boards are amazing.  Good work on securing a second 30 Elton (although I hope I'm in the 1st 30 because I'm an impatient lil bastard).  I've had the pleasure of speaking to Duck myself and he's a super nice dude.  I'm glad they opened it up a bit more... 

What did you guys spring for?  Standard or HHKB style?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 03:29:07 »

Standard. While I will use a mostly HHKB-esque layout (split backspace and right shift) I am not a fan of the bottom row, I just don't see any advantage of leaving out the corners.

Offline Shados

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 03:31:43 »

Standard. While I will use a mostly HHKB-esque layout (split backspace and right shift) I am not a fan of the bottom row, I just don't see any advantage of leaving out the corners.

I'll be doing something similar. I have way too many global keybinds on win + alt + alpha keys for a full HHKB layout to be usable (useful key combination as it is unlikely to collide with any given application's default binds).

Offline boo

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:51:06 »
Going for hhkb. Most of my boards are traditional so why not change it up a bit. Only way to justify getting a new board anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:56:44 »
Yeah I'm going for HHKB as well. I can always remap the two extra buttons above the arrow keys for extra layers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 13:08:09 »
Man thats beautiful board! Bet Sanctuary would look awesome on it!  :p

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 13:32:48 »
Nice to see this one going through. Although I'm not on it. Just not the board for me.

Could we please get to know what will happen with the Lightsaver GB? If I've understood correctly, it got pulled back in favour of Black Bird. Cheers!

Offline TTR

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 19:34:34 »
F5 for the list!
HHKB-S / Realforce 87U/ Corsair K70 RGB RED/ Filco 87 Cream Green Blue/ G710 Blue/  Duck Black Bird/ Novatouch /Apple Extended Keyboard II SKCM Damped

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 01:57:14 »
Elton, I wrote you a Haiku:

Why list where are you?
Link draws a blank in first post.
Elton brings treasures.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 12:50:04 »
Elton, master of suspense.

Offline TTR

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:08:18 »
Agree  ;)
HHKB-S / Realforce 87U/ Corsair K70 RGB RED/ Filco 87 Cream Green Blue/ G710 Blue/  Duck Black Bird/ Novatouch /Apple Extended Keyboard II SKCM Damped

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 02:03:15 »
While we are waiting does anyone know if any of the plates supports switch top removal?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 02:06:50 »
While we are waiting does anyone know if any of the plates supports switch top removal?

Duck boards typically don't support it, so high chance of "No"
I love Elzy

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 03:54:15 »

Duck boards typically don't support it, so high chance of "No"

Not so good for me, considering I like to wear in my switches a bit before lubing them. Ah well, I'm definitely not going to rush this one, so I can take my time and get a plate made after it arrives.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:29:07 »
Hey all

Here is the public spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bZr5ca8P6Cbnli7XTZ7WHSkcUaKtJxZslLyAnPFiFbY/pubhtml?gid=1360862044&single=true

I added the option of ordering extra PCB + plate. If you want that just PM me and I'll add it to the order. Adding that option now on the form will just mess up the google doc.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:30:57 by elton5354 »

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:32:54 »
Hey all

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bZr5ca8P6Cbnli7XTZ7WHSkcUaKtJxZslLyAnPFiFbY/pubhtml?gid=1360862044&single=true

I added the option of ordering extra PCB + plate. If you want that just PM me and I'll add it to the order. Adding that option now on the form will just mess up the google doc.
Thanks, Elton! Im looking forward to it! 

Question: any chance in modifying the order slightly? Just want to change the plate from alum to SS.

Thanks again for putting this together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:34:28 »
Barely missed the first 30  :'(

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 10:53:33 »
ayyy number 15, awesome

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 11:10:41 »
Hey all

Sweet. What is the price for the extra PCB + plate?

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 11:36:47 »
I'd love an additional plate+pcb added to my order please :D
More

Offline brighenne

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 11:59:27 »
This filled up slower than I expected, but I suppose it is a bit of an odd layout. Glad I got in even if it's the second batch!

Offline elton5354

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 15:55:16 »
I'll add the extras later on tonight. I've read all your PMS, just didn't reply so no worries. 😉

The PCB+Plate extra is $80

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 16:26:30 »
Any chance of ordering only a extra PCB (without plate) or an Acrylic plate like on the prototype? If yes how much would that be?

Offline seblove

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 17:14:20 »
Number 31 lol!! Patience is a virtue I guess :( Also, what's the motivation for people to buy an extra plate and pcb on a super unique layout like this? Do you build them both and swap out every now and again to keep things fresh or keep it around unbuilt in case something goes wrong with the other parts?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 17:44:19 »
Also, what's the motivation for people to buy an extra plate and pcb on a super unique layout like this? Do you build them both and swap out every now and again to keep things fresh or keep it around unbuilt in case something goes wrong with the other parts?

If I get such an expensive board I don't want to **** up by putting on switches I don't like at the end. If I order an extra PCB I have 2 options. I can either go with a PCB mounted approach first and have some freedom to play around, or I just do a full assembly and if I happen to dislike my choice at the end and have to desolder the switches I have a backup in case something goes wrong. I'm currently typing this with a board on which I desoldered the switches at least 3-4 times and everything still works, but getting a replacement for a Korean custom in such a unique layout after this GB should be impossible, better safe then sorry. If I choose route 2 and end up liking the switches I can still build my own case for the other PCB :)

Offline E3E

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 18:24:06 »
Also, what's the motivation for people to buy an extra plate and pcb on a super unique layout like this? Do you build them both and swap out every now and again to keep things fresh or keep it around unbuilt in case something goes wrong with the other parts?

If I get such an expensive board I don't want to **** up by putting on switches I don't like at the end. If I order an extra PCB I have 2 options. I can either go with a PCB mounted approach first and have some freedom to play around, or I just do a full assembly and if I happen to dislike my choice at the end and have to desolder the switches I have a backup in case something goes wrong. I'm currently typing this with a board on which I desoldered the switches at least 3-4 times and everything still works, but getting a replacement for a Korean custom in such a unique layout after this GB should be impossible, better safe then sorry. If I choose route 2 and end up liking the switches I can still build my own case for the other PCB :)

Yeah, I can vibe with this.

This is a good reason for a design that facilitates switch opening. Not a convention you ever see with Duck. I know some say that it's an issue of stability, but I'm not so sure. Not a problem for those who have pretty well-defined preferences though. Just that, if you're curious about using a new switch for a build, a switch you don't have much experience with, then doing it on something like this isn't a good idea.

Guess it's a better idea to buy a test board for those switches first.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 22:52:55 »
I can't believe I made it in the first round!  First time for that... Number 26.  I don't think I've ever been so excited for a board...  Thanks Elton for switching my stuff around too!  Cheers!

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 23:50:23 »

:eek: teach me your ways! I am so bad at desoldering. I pretty much lift pads everytime. And I even have a hakko desoldering iron to work with haha

I really want to swap my orion over to some linears but am way to scared too desolder my pcb.

With that said I'm definitely going to be ordering an extra pcb and plate. Better safe than sorry  :p
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline duzeyao

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 22:41:23 »

:eek: teach me your ways! I am so bad at desoldering. I pretty much lift pads everytime. And I even have a hakko desoldering iron to work with haha

I really want to swap my orion over to some linears but am way to scared too desolder my pcb.

With that said I'm definitely going to be ordering an extra pcb and plate. Better safe than sorry  :p

Don't do that. Orion's pcb is super fragile.
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 22:51:44 »

Ya I'm way too scared to actually consider doing it. But it's good to dream  :p
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline E3E

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 23:06:33 »

Ya I'm way too scared to actually consider doing it. But it's good to dream  :p

You just need a gentle touch, really. Duck's PCBs have very unreliable pads that like to lift, but as long as you aren't to heavy-handed with the desoldering iron, you should be okay. I keep mine at 350 C and it works like a charm. I had to desolder switches for one Eagle PCB for my hotswappable Duck Eagle projects, and I didn't lift a pad.

Admittedly, I was surprised myself. :P

I think you should be just fine desoldering your Orion once, man. It shouldn't hurt anything as long as you're careful.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 July 2016, 23:08:18 by E3E »

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 23:56:39 »
You just need a gentle touch, really. Duck's PCBs have very unreliable pads that like to lift, but as long as you aren't to heavy-handed with the desoldering iron, you should be okay. I keep mine at 350 C and it works like a charm. I had to desolder switches for one Eagle PCB for my hotswappable Duck Eagle projects, and I didn't lift a pad.

Admittedly, I was surprised myself. :P

I think you should be just fine desoldering your Orion once, man. It shouldn't hurt anything as long as you're careful.

That's impressive! I had to fix two switches on my octagon build and ended up lifting 3 pads.... I don't know why I can't use my hakko effectively :(

I've learned to live with the zealios. They're not bad by any means and its always nice to have some variety in the collection. And Ive got my skcl green pcb I can use if I really want some linear action on the orion  :p

And just to keep this slightly on topic. This is the slowest filling duck buy I've been a part of! I submitted my form way late and still got a spot hooray! Must be the unique layout.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 01:50:19 »
This is the slowest filling duck buy I've been a part of! I submitted my form way late and still got a spot hooray! Must be the unique layout.

Why are GH'rs such sticks in the mud?  We need to embrace the unique!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 03:14:30 »

NOOOOOO, we need MOAR TKL's, the more genereic the better. All of them should support neither backlighting nor RGB underglow. Of course all of them should be WKL layout and colored either grey or black. Another thing that we also ABSOLUTELY need is more 60% PCB's that all have the same features and basically only differ in the pinout on the controller and the way the traces are placed. /s

But now back on a serious note. It was pretty obvious that this will be Duck's least popular board, just look at the TK78, which also has a similarly unique layout and had a really great price, in the end there were less than half the orders than there are here. I really feel like we need more unique stuff, but when no one want's to buy that it's just not worth it to spend the time on it. I won't be surprised if this here board never runs again, which is also why I'm in, it's just too unique to let it go.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 03:38:16 »

NOOOOOO, we need MOAR TKL's, the more genereic the better. All of them should support neither backlighting nor RGB underglow. Of course all of them should be WKL layout and colored either grey or black. Another thing that we also ABSOLUTELY need is more 60% PCB's that all have the same features and basically only differ in the pinout on the controller and the way the traces are placed. /s

But now back on a serious note. It was pretty obvious that this will be Duck's least popular board, just look at the TK78, which also has a similarly unique layout and had a really great price, in the end there were less than half the orders than there are here. I really feel like we need more unique stuff, but when no one want's to buy that it's just not worth it to spend the time on it. I won't be surprised if this here board never runs again, which is also why I'm in, it's just too unique to let it go.
I know man. It's crazy.  I had a CPSQ that I wanted to sell to buy this and I built it as a split spacebar.  I priced it WAY under market value, I mean it was a steal.  Just with the split spacebar alone, people were all "oh you're just gonna have to find the right buyer" and it took a few days to sell where as I thought it would be gone in hours at the price I had it listed...  It's really lame if you ask me.  I love the unusual stuff... I mean what's the point of owning so many keyboards if they all do/look/feel/act the same?!

Offline Shados

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 03:38:05 »
So when are the invoices being sent?

Offline maximm

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 05:19:09 »
Do you recommend Ss plate for linear only?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:34:23 »
That's what most people say/do.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:37:49 »

Could you elaborate a bit more? If I'm ordering some plates cut for tactile or clicky switches, would it be better to get ally plates then? Is it because of noise with steel plates?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline brighenne

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:44:32 »
That's the Korean guidance, SS plate is for linear because extra rigidity helps linear switches feel smoother. For tactile switches, the thought is that aluminum is more flexible/less harsh and potentially helps it feel more tactile.

That said, I like steel plates on tactile switches too.

Offline breitling

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:37:28 »

Could you elaborate a bit more? If I'm ordering some plates cut for tactile or clicky switches, would it be better to get ally plates then? Is it because of noise with steel plates?

the majority of mass market keyboards out there like filco, das, and wasd all have steel plates so there isnt anything inherently wrong with using steel plates with tactile or clicky switches... its just preference. my old das ultimate 3 with mx browns feels great. i usually get steel plates with customs when available because they are less common with custom boards. most of my customs are alu.

Offline SL89

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:48:47 »
Of course i see this now...  :'(

Offline maximm

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:08:57 »
Thanks, great feedback from everyone!
I'm going to stick with SS even for tactile switches as it feels more special and i like the weight.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:18:38 »
So when are the invoices being sent?

I'll try to get at least 30 out by tonight

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:36:21 »

the majority of mass market keyboards out there like filco, das, and wasd all have steel plates so there isnt anything inherently wrong with using steel plates with tactile or clicky switches... its just preference. my old das ultimate 3 with mx browns feels great. i usually get steel plates with customs when available because they are less common with custom boards. most of my customs are alu.

I see... The boards I have all have steel plates, and I haven't found too much wrong with them.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:23:45 »
Invoices incoming :o

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Shados

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:38:10 »
Paid my invoice :).