Author Topic: [IC] Smart 68 Keyboard Set (GB is live)  (Read 218031 times)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: [IC] Smart 68 Keyboard Set (updated LED swapping video)
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 08:28:18 »
It's alive? Oh wow.. And aluminum casing. Is this Korean custom or made in USA? :)

I think it's actually a Chinese board, i know MartinYeah has one that he got from a small run on the Chinese forums.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline flipjsio

• flipjs.io
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 11:46:51 »
Was there a review or something on that initial run of Smart68?

I think it's actually a Chinese board, i know MartinYeah has one that he got from a small run on the Chinese forums.
AEKII † Filco MJ TKL Blues † Filco Zero TKL † KBP V60 Blues † HHKB2 Type-S † Infinity † The Planck

Offline Data

« Reply #352 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 12:21:03 »
Was there a review or something on that initial run of Smart68?

I found several references on the Chinese forum enjoyclick.org, including on their wiki here:  http://www.enjoyclick.org/wiki/SMART_68%E9%94%AE%E7%9B%98

But it looks like you can't view photos unless you log in.  There is one photo of the "Beta V1 Rabbit Special Version" from the wiki...

If you read Chinese, the user is DeeLonG.  It looks like this might be the original group buy thread:  www.enjoyclick.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=371&extra=page%3D1

Offline flipjsio

• flipjs.io
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 16:14:59 »
That doesn't look like a Smart68 keyboard like the images shown on the first page of this thread. Also, it doesn't have a Fn key on the side of spacebar. That spacebar too has non-standard size, 5.5u I think.

I found several references on the Chinese forum enjoyclick.org, including on their wiki here:  http://www.enjoyclick.org/wiki/SMART_68%E9%94%AE%E7%9B%98

But it looks like you can't view photos unless you log in.  There is one photo of the "Beta V1 Rabbit Special Version" from the wiki...

Show Image

If you read Chinese, the user is DeeLonG.  It looks like this might be the original group buy thread:  www.enjoyclick.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=371&extra=page%3D1
AEKII † Filco MJ TKL Blues † Filco Zero TKL † KBP V60 Blues † HHKB2 Type-S † Infinity † The Planck

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #354 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 15:20:09 »
Its now August, and my body is ready for this group buy.
Full Metal Poker II - http://imgur.com/a/xK2Uv

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 18:55:55 »
Wow that's great that the group buy is actually happening! I have been drooling over this one for a long while now!  :p

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #356 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:28:47 »
is this really happening? where is the order form?

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #357 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:35:01 »
:O Liking the hotswap.
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:11:15 »
Quick Question:
Is it possible to program the smart68 into an ISO version? Or is it possible to have ISO out of the box?
What about transportability? This is so perfect to take it with you, will the hot swapple switches and LEDs take any damage whatsoever if put into a normal case in your bag?
What about ordering just specific parts of this board? Like only the PCB or no casing/no carbon fibre and stuff?
Is it possible to get the PCB schematics? Like the GH60 rev.c when it finally gets shipped?

I'm really so into this, but this kind of pricetag just kills me everytime I look it up  :'(
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:22:07 by genkidama »
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:38:02 »
The wait is torture... Let me throw my money at you!
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 23:59:20 »
I hope there will be ISO option in this GB. Already saved up my money for this :x

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #361 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 23:45:26 »
Any new news on this Feng?  ;D

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #362 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 20:52:31 »
any chances for different layouts?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 23:05:18 »
I told myself no more keyboards.

I said my fc660c 55g modded was it.

I will have to change my mind if this gb happens.

Offline animus128

« Reply #364 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 05:22:24 »
This is the first custom board I might get so I'm still quite inexperienced with boards I have to assemble myself. Because of this I have two questions:

Do I basically only need switches and keycaps (and maybe LED's) or is there something else I will need? And is there any soldering left for me to do or is it just plugging and screwing together stuff?

Offline genkidama

« Reply #365 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:54:53 »
If I remember correctly it should be plugging/screwing it together. Switches, LEDs and stuff can be plugged in without soldering as you can see in the video in the first post.

Offline animus128

« Reply #366 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 13:43:25 »
If I remember correctly it should be plugging/screwing it together. Switches, LEDs and stuff can be plugged in without soldering as you can see in the video in the first post.

Ok thats reassuring :) Just don't wanted to get surprised badly. Now its time to think about switches and caps for me. Hopefully the buy will go live soon, really excited!

Offline donpark

« Reply #367 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 00:22:06 »
this is too cool to pass up!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 12:49:10 »
There was a link here to a imgur album with pictures from the chinese GB last year. That link is now dead. Does anyone have a mirror?

Also, is there any hope of getting the Massdrop buy to include an optional LED set? Obviously listing every type of switch or keycap is useless, but just a good multicolor or even just white LED set?

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 21:36:02 »
will the be running through massdrop?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 23:27:41 »

I sure as hell hope not! I'm fairly certain feng will run this himself. He is fairly busy as he just received the keys from his GMK Cyan GB.

Offline animus128

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 05:37:58 »

I sure as hell hope not! I'm fairly certain feng will run this himself. He is fairly busy as he just received the keys from his GMK Cyan GB.

I think he stated earlier in this thread that it will be through Massdrop.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #372 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:59:48 »
Was he really sure? I only know of a vote poll at massdrop with this board and a link to this thread. But it seemed more like he would like to do it through massdrop but there is no word yet. Or something like that.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 10:08:35 »
I might have to do this along with DeeLong. Massdrop says they don't have the confidence to do the group buy yet since it's a new product. They might consider in the future if a GB on GH goes well.

Here you go guys and gals. He also said he would run this GB in August so we still have some time.

Massdrop isn't great and it showed recently with the TA buy.  I really don't want to see them running something like this.

Offline animus128

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:10:08 »
I might have to do this along with DeeLong. Massdrop says they don't have the confidence to do the group buy yet since it's a new product. They might consider in the future if a GB on GH goes well.

Here you go guys and gals. He also said he would run this GB in August so we still have some time.

Massdrop isn't great and it showed recently with the TA buy.  I really don't want to see them running something like this.

Excuse the dumb question but what would be the difference in a Massdrop group buy compared to one that is run somewhere else? As someone who never participated in something like this I'm really curious! I only saw some of the shipping problems with some MD stuff on reddit, is there another upside on a group buy run via GH?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #375 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 14:51:24 »
It's far better to use MassDrop. They're a company with a reputation beyond these forums and a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. Obviously I'm new here, and you guys might have excellent experiences with Feng, but to me he's just an anonymous user on an internet forum who, if this happens, wants me to send him 300 USD plus postage, without giving me any guarantee that I get anything in return.

Ask yourselves, would you trust me with your 300 USD, or would you prefer Massdrop?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 14:57:11 »
It's far better to use MassDrop. They're a company with a reputation beyond these forums and a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. Obviously I'm new here, and you guys might have excellent experiences with Feng, but to me he's just an anonymous user on an internet forum who, if this happens, wants me to send him 300 USD plus postage, without giving me any guarantee that I get anything in return.

Ask yourselves, would you trust me with your 300 USD, or would you prefer Massdrop?

Would I trust you, no, but that is because I don't know you. And I don't mean that as any kind of knock against you. Would I trust Feng? Yes. In fact, I'd much prefer this be run on GH than on MD. MD says they are all about community, but in practice they are more about business. I'm not saying that isn't their right, or that they are doing something wrong. I'm just saying that I think there is real benefit to having a real community focused group buy. I'd love to see this go through without MD involvement.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:18:20 »
Right. So if everyone who wants to buy this keyboard knows and trusts Feng, that's not a problem. But do you really think that's the case?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:21:38 »
Right. So if everyone who wants to buy this keyboard knows and trusts Feng, that's not a problem. But do you really think that's the case?

No, I don't. I'm okay with that. Sometimes you gotta take a little risk. If that is too much for someone, and I understand that it very well may be, that is unfortunate for them, cause this could be something great. I don't mean to be dismissive, because I do understand what you are saying. However, if there is a feeling it won't meet MOQ without MD, then certainly MD is a viable and good solution. But if it can be done without that platform then I think it should be.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #379 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:25:42 »
In the end each buyer will have to decide for themselves. And in a forum such as this, if Feng was dodgy everyone would know it. But I think Massdrop is a far better option for most GBs. If MD said no, which it seems like it did, then that obviously changes things, but I still like MD.

Of course, if there were more GB sites out there so that MD got some competition, that would be even better. Free market and all that capitalist propaganda ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:35:17 »
In the end each buyer will have to decide for themselves. And in a forum such as this, if Feng was dodgy everyone would know it. But I think Massdrop is a far better option for most GBs. If MD said no, which it seems like it did, then that obviously changes things, but I still like MD.

Of course, if there were more GB sites out there so that MD got some competition, that would be even better. Free market and all that capitalist propaganda ;)

If you're curious, here's feng's eBay account: http://www.ebay.com/usr/geek_feng

I know feng's reputation is only part of the discussion here, but just so you can familiarize yourself with him.  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #381 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 16:07:41 »
I'd love to see this go through without MD involvement.

Same.  They have really done a piss poor job listening to the keyboard community lately.

@tofgerl - Nobody's forcing you to join the group buy.  If you have a problem you're welcome to wait on Massdrop for a (possible) Round 2.  It takes some big ****ing balls to come on here and your first post is questioning the reputation of a long-time member.  WTF dude?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 16:31:39 »
@tofgerl - Nobody's forcing you to join the group buy.  If you have a problem you're welcome to wait on Massdrop for a (possible) Round 2.  It takes some big ****ing balls to come on here and your first post is questioning the reputation of a long-time member.  WTF dude?

Heyyy, whoa whoa.  No need to get hostile with a newbie asking perfectly fair questions.  When I was new I was hesitant to send hundreds of dollars to someone I just met on the internet.  It's a perfectly natural concern.  We know feng's reputation, but someone new to the forum does not, and we can't hold that against them.

Offline Data

« Reply #383 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 16:34:26 »
Fair enough.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #384 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 17:09:54 »
I also don't know feng, but heard a lot about him being a long-time member here and putting up GBs successfully and all. But at first I would like to hear about what is up with the GB, if August is still viable and if the GB starts how many would want the smart board as I think this is a great board for what I have seen so far.

Of course, I also am reserved doing this here rather than on MD as I am still a beginner / newbie in the mech board scene (don't know feng at all despite hearing a lot) and 300 USD is a pretty hefty pricetag, though I partially can understand why that is. And seeing the GH60 GB going such a long strech with the PCBs, Cases etc. I'm a little more scared, though I know that a GB probably always will be behind some timetable which is perfectly fine. Another example why I also am a reserved is the TaiHao GB as it looked like the money was gone and stuff and fortunately the GB runner picked it up and got it going again.
I am not trying to say that GB runs are bad or anything, I don't mind spending a small amount if there is a risk of losing it. I only find the pricetag for this particular board pretty high (for myself). And to finally get to the point, I'm sorry I'm a little tipsy, I would like some kind of assurance or so? Is it possible if at all?
Maybe telling or seeing some GB experiences from the past feng ran would lighten up the concerns and apparently the offense on fengs reputation?

I don't know, I just know I want this board badly.

Offline animus128

« Reply #385 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 17:25:15 »
Maybe just as an update concerning when the GB will happen:
I messaged feng a few days ago and asked some stuff including when the buy will go live. He said it will most likely still be August but he wants to launch the POM Jelly group buy first.

Just wanted to share that information with you guys because this thread got no official reply concerning that for quite some time.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 20:04:47 »
Jeez, I can't wait for this, definitely count me in  :thumb:
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #387 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 00:06:45 »
I just want to point out that my point wasn't about Feng at all. In fact, the only reason I mentioned him was because he was organizing this particular GB. My point was about Massdrop and why many people would presumably be far more likely to buy the board if the GB was organized through them.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #388 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 08:46:46 »
For people who are looking for the info of the Smart68 update, this follow info is coming from the Chinese form (EnjoyClick: EC).
Original from, you may need as member for access: http://www.enjoyclick.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=10316&extra=page%3D1
Taobao link, this is for people to join the GB, you will see the pic here if you do not have access for the EC from: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=521044971611
The owner of the shop said this design of the board is authorized by "deelong", i'm not sure if the owner is "Feng" or not.
If this post against the will of the "Feng", i will delete this one, Thanks!
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #389 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 10:27:48 »
For people who are looking for the info of the Smart68 update, this follow info is coming from the Chinese form (EnjoyClick: EC).
Original from, you may need as member for access: http://www.enjoyclick.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=10316&extra=page%3D1
Taobao link, this is for people to join the GB, you will see the pic here if you do not have access for the EC from: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=521044971611
The owner of the shop said this design of the board is authorized by "deelong", i'm not sure if the owner is "Feng" or not.

What if you don't know Chinese, and you want to place an order through this page?

Offline Data

« Reply #390 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:04:04 »

What if you don't know Chinese, and you want to place an order through this page?

Even if you did I sort of doubt that international shipping is an option.  These are usually run through an English-speaking proxy for shipping.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:51:54 »
Saw this on reddit. I love the concept and design. Count me in.

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #392 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:36:38 »
Pretty much everything about the keyboard is dope as ****, now only if I had 300$...

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #393 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 21:00:02 »
Cool, we have a price now so I can know what to set aside, all I need now is a firm start date.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #394 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 08:16:17 »
I've been pretty interested in this board since I saw it on a poll at Massdrop. All the space savings of a 60%, but with arrow keys. Which raises a question: will a standard order of keycaps fit this board? I love my FC660m, but dealing with the spacebar and right shift changes is a pain.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline dark_rug

« Reply #395 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:51:06 »
Interested. RIP wallet.

Offline Data

« Reply #396 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:20:55 »
Interested. RIP wallet.

There are options listed at 1400 yuan on the Taobao link a few posts up.  That's only about $219 US.  The most expensive option I see is 1700 yuan, which is roughly $266 US.  Figure about $30 for shipping and it might be possible to get one of these shipped for less than $300.  That's a steal considering what you get, and almost $100 cheaper than many Korean customs.  Not bad.

Offline animus128

« Reply #397 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:34:56 »
Interested. RIP wallet.

There are options listed at 1400 yuan on the Taobao link a few posts up.  That's only about $219 US.  The most expensive option I see is 1700 yuan, which is roughly $266 US.  Figure about $30 for shipping and it might be possible to get one of these shipped for less than $300.  That's a steal considering what you get, and almost $100 cheaper than many Korean customs.  Not bad.

Well buying the 1400 kuai one is probably not worth it because it lacks the hot swapping feature and all the hot swapping ones cost 1700 kuai which I think is only worth it if you order it in China. Anyway I consider not joining the drop right now because I might me in China soon an then buying it there would save me lots of taxes :)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #398 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 13:46:17 »
Let's face it, $300 is a steal for what is basically guaranteed to be your last ever 60%.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #399 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 20:19:23 »
does anyone know if those SIP sockets can be replaceable, say if one breaks in shipping? They look to be soldered onto the PCB.