Author Topic: Picking a Linear Switch?  (Read 13628 times)

Offline GrzlyG

Picking a Linear Switch?
« on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 22:28:17 »
I'm currently in the process of picking my switches for my new board, and I really like linear switches. I would be okay with tactility if it is light, and sometimes not noticeable, just due to the fact that I play competitive FPS games and need to be able to focus on quick and precise movements rather than knowing for sure that I actuated my switch (with the bump). My ideal switch is not hard to press, since I have a lighter hand and do not need to worry about accidentally pressing switches, but not too light so that I accidentally press a button mid-combat. So, somewhere in the middle force wise. I am aware that vintage blacks are very popular with enthusiasts when it comes to linear switches, but that's not what I am looking for, just considering that they are fairly rare, and I don't want to have to deal with getting hold of them. So, my question is, what is your guys' favorite linear switch? Let me know! Thanks.

Offline HotRoderX

Re: Picking a Linear Switch?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 03:16:26 »
Box Black Switches (Want the new ones that have fixed keycap stims) They are the smoothest of any Linear I have tried. > Gateron Blacks Smoother then non retooled cherry switches and almost as smooth as box blacks > Cherry MX Blacks Retooled there smooth as the Gateron's just finding them can sometimes be annoying/challenging. As you don't know if your going to get the old switches or new.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 07:07:14 »
Gateron yellow. *Drops mic*
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline GrzlyG

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 15:56:08 »
Box Black Switches (Want the new ones that have fixed keycap stims) They are the smoothest of any Linear I have tried. > Gateron Blacks Smoother then non retooled cherry switches and almost as smooth as box blacks > Cherry MX Blacks Retooled there smooth as the Gateron's just finding them can sometimes be annoying/challenging. As you don't know if your going to get the old switches or new.
Don't box stems stretch keycaps? I am getting fairly expensive keycaps, so I don't want that happening.

Offline sl70309

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:17:55 »
FEI/Matcha switch  :D

Offline el_mechacontext

• You can find my body in the mechacontext.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 19:24:26 »
My favorite switch thus far has been vint blacks, closely followed by Cherry Clears. But if it's mostly smoothness you're looking for, I have a board with Tealios and they are delightful.
Pok3r MX Clears | CM Storm Stealth MX Blues | Dell AT101W Alps Blacks | Happy Hacking Keyboard Uni 45g | Ortholinear Planck Gateron Blacks

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 20:43:12 »
A REALLY good linear is lubed Tealios. They are my go to.

Offline Zeimus

• zeim.us
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 21:46:00 »
I just picked up some cherry mx black retools for 25 cents each, going to spring swap 63.5g and lube with 3204 :thumb:

Offline vegs

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 00:56:43 »
I just picked up some cherry mx black retools for 25 cents each, going to spring swap 63.5g and lube with 3204 :thumb:
Good choice :thumb:
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 01:05:46 »
My favourite linears are Alps SKCL green and linearised black, as well a Fujitsu leaf springs (gen 3). Fantastic, light linears. But as you mentioned you don't want to deal too much with getting hold of rare switches, they might not be for you xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline vegs

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 05:08:25 »
There's just so many linear switches on the market now, and most have marginal differences.

Bang for the buck? Go for Gateron red/black/yellow or retooled Cherry MX Blacks.
"Best"/smoothest? If you don't want vintage Blacks, Tealios are probably the way to go.

Then you have Feis, Tangerines, Punchys and other Gateron made "clones", all very similar..
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline itbesandrodoe

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 21:30:12 »
I have silent reds on order right now, I will update here with my impressions when i get them !

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 22:16:51 »
I have silent reds on order right now, I will update here with my impressions when i get them !
Silent blacks with 60g springs and SA keycaps are kinda god tier.

Offline itbesandrodoe

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 18:12:19 »
i just got a board with silent reds, compared to my old board that was 65g zilents i will say that this board has alot less stress on my fingers so i can use less pressure. I would like to try healios however just to compare the feel of the two sound dampeners.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:28:01 »
I would say that the more darker the color switch(example, black yellow), the more heavier it will be. There are two types of linear switches:light(which i'm assuming that you want) and heavy. Light, such as Gateron Clears(lightest switch on the market) and cherry mx reds(which are linear but 10 grams heavier).
There is heavy switches, which require a bit of force to press but might be ideal if you like the switch to go deep for the feels. Cherry Mx black is a linear switch that is heavy.
Categories that would go into "extremely heavy" would be Cherry Mx Super Black(especially) and cherry mx Linear Gray(both are rare and hard to find)

Offline ala

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 14:44:10 »
Hmm, from linear switches I think Cherry Silent Red is my favorite. Few years ago I had experience with Cherry Black, they caused fatigue after about half an hour. Nowadays I use Cherry Red and Cherry Silent Red. The latter feels a bit different, I think I like it more than the original Reds, though the reason to buy them was the noise level. Few months ago I modded my original Reds with 35g springs (making equivalent of Cherry Clear) but I didn't like it long term mainly due to accidental double-shoot, so I reverted the mod.