Author Topic: [IC] Canvas: 65% Left Hand NumPad Keyboard (UPDATE:Order forms Up)  (Read 40101 times)

Offline Frolos

Would you be open to share the PCB design with us? Cool to see that there are more people who want this layout but i would like to design my own case around this layout.

That's the plan; i'll be making all of the files open source, I just need to finish up the newer layout's I've created and remove old components from the schematics. They'll probably be all released once the group buy is over.

Great to hear, keeping my eyes peeled

Offline 9mmninjamonkey

This is awesome! I love the layout. I'm definitely in. The added gap between the numpad/keyboard seems like a good idea differentiate it from the Southpaw 65.

Offline Umio1

This is awesome! I love the layout. I'm definitely in. The added gap between the numpad/keyboard seems like a good idea differentiate it from the Southpaw 65.

Thanks for the feedback! I was actually hesitant to add the gap between the numpad, but once i saw it in the assembly I think it ended up looking cleaner.

Offline YMwoo

I think this looks very nice. Not sure about color combination, but two-tone colors might be nice too.
Doing great so far!

Offline Umio1

I think this looks very nice. Not sure about color combination, but two-tone colors might be nice too.
Doing great so far!

The color is just my personal choice, there will definitely be more options available with the group buy; I'll try to get some samples before then.

Offline Zeelobby

Looks awesome. Wanted a South paw numpad for a while. Especially the high profile. I'm just not a fan of the brass emblem on the bottom. I thought it looked a lot cleaner with an empty base, or at most a relief or engraving on it. (I actually liked the wolf/husky symbol from the prototype). Or maybe just something more fitting to the name/theme of the design.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:03:40 by Zeelobby »

Offline dak148

Looks awesome. Wanted a South paw numpad for a while. Especially the high profile. I'm just not a fan of the brass emblem on the bottom. I thought it looked a lot cleaner with an empty base, or at most a relief or engraving on it. (I actually liked the wolf/husky symbol from the prototype). Or maybe just something more fitting to the name/theme of the design.

I agree about the back. Looked nicer on the prototype with the wolf! This would be a perfect work keyboard for me where I use the number pad a lot. In for it.

Offline Zeelobby

I agree about the back. Looked nicer on the prototype with the wolf! This would be a perfect work keyboard for me where I use the number pad a lot. In for it.
Agreed. That's what I'd use it for. Work. Would be amazing for data entry. Left hand entering numbers, right using mouse.

But yeah, if removing the brass symbol (which isn't really a weight but a flourish rarely seen) reduces it from $200 to $185, I'm all for it.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
But yeah, if removing the brass symbol (which isn't really a weight but a flourish rarely seen) reduces it from $200 to $185, I'm all for it.

I'd be down paying same amount without symbol. As is, I'm hoping just leaving the symbol out won't make it look or feel weird. Maybe I'll slap a sticker in there.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline stoffelduss

I don't really understand why the symbol being there would be a problem when using it as a work keyboard, it's on the underside, do you lift your keyboard up that often?

Granted, that's also the reason why I don't care much for the symbol either; it simply won't be visible very often. But I'd say I'd be against offering many options regarding the symbol IF it increases cost for everyone to have options.

Offline Zeelobby

I don't really understand why the symbol being there would be a problem when using it as a work keyboard, it's on the underside, do you lift your keyboard up that often?

Granted, that's also the reason why I don't care much for the symbol either; it simply won't be visible very often. But I'd say I'd be against offering many options regarding the symbol IF it increases cost for everyone to have options.
I mean cheapest solution is just no symbol. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine. I don't mind branding when it's integrated into the case, or into a weight, both functional reasons. But who knows how it'll effect sound and it's purely aesthetic.

Plus I just don't care about mahjong. And it doesn't seem to have any tie-in to the creator, board name, etc. Or at least none that's obvious. I would plan to use this board at work. And will carry it around to terminals, and people will be like, what's that? And I'll say "mahjong flower" and they'll ask "you play mahjong" and I'll be like, "nope". Haha.

That said it's the creators decision, if they like it they should go for it. I'll just skip.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2020, 18:41:12 by Zeelobby »

Offline stoffelduss

I mean cheapest solution is just no symbol. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine. I don't mind branding when it's integrated into the case, or into a weight, both functional reasons. But who knows how it'll effect sound and it's purely aesthetic.

Plus I just don't care about mahjong. And it doesn't seem to have any tie-in to the creator, board name, etc. Or at least none that's obvious. I would plan to use this board at work. And will carry it around to terminals, and people will be like, what's that? And I'll say "mahjong flower" and they'll ask "you play mahjong" and I'll be like, "nope". Haha.

That said it's the creators decision, if they like it they should go for it. I'll just skip.
Alright I understand. I'd also support no symbol :) Maybe no symbol would be the best solution.

I'm more worried about if soldering the hot swap sockets isn't too difficult :/ Don't want to buy an expensive keyboard then **** up the assembly. Is it not much more difficult than simply soldering switches?

Offline Umio1

I do plan on using the symbol for the board just to make it stand out from just another keyboard; make it a little more personal. I still plan on keeping the high-profile option ~$200 + shipping.
I decided i wanted to leave the front of the keyboard clean and keep the detail on back to keep the design a little more subtle.

As for the Mahjong reference; I am indeed a Taiwanese American; played a lot of mahjong in college. As long as you choose not to have a green a white board I don't think people will recognize it as a Mahjong tile :P just a lotus flower.

Offline Umio1

Alright I understand. I'd also support no symbol :) Maybe no symbol would be the best solution.

I'm more worried about if soldering the hot swap sockets isn't too difficult :/ Don't want to buy an expensive keyboard then **** up the assembly. Is it not much more difficult than simply soldering switches?

You shouldn't need to worry about the soldering being difficult; the hotswap sockets are really easy to solder/desolder. I used my grandpa's old soldering iron he used on his cars, and even then i ended up soldering them the wrong direction the first time and had to go back and desolder and resolder them all. Everything still works even though a pad pulled up when desoldering. was a big learning expereince not to get too excited and solder away without making sure the parts are in the correct direction!

Here you can see I fixed the pad i pulled up by hot gluing it down and then soldering the column like you would on a non-PCB board. Doesn't look pretty after all the desoldering/flywiring because of my mistake but it ended up working out.

and heres a view of the sockets on backwards pre finding out i made the mistake :P

Offline Zeelobby

I do plan on using the symbol for the board just to make it stand out from just another keyboard; make it a little more personal. I still plan on keeping the high-profile option ~$200 + shipping.
I decided i wanted to leave the front of the keyboard clean and keep the detail on back to keep the design a little more subtle.

As for the Mahjong reference; I am indeed a Taiwanese American; played a lot of mahjong in college. As long as you choose not to have a green a white board I don't think people will recognize it as a Mahjong tile just a lotus flower.
Haha. This might be a super valid point. It might really be the green and white plus the symbol which makes it seem overly mahjong. Haha. With a nice gray/black it might look really good.

Offline Inner-Ear

Made an account to say please make this ASAP. A reversed/mirrored layout numpad would be ideal.

Thank you  :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2020, 15:27:30 by Inner-Ear »

Offline WhensRamen

Definitely interested!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Offline Ahrimofnor

Awww no more husky logo on the back. That logo if engraved would actually be really good looking in my opinion.

Anyways, choice yours and all that. Much love for offering a hipro version.

Offline Umio1

Awww no more husky logo on the back. That logo if engraved would actually be really good looking in my opinion.

Anyways, choice yours and all that. Much love for offering a hipro version.

Yeah, sadly if I offered to laser engrave all the boards I would be over committing :P i have limited access to a laser engraver but its about 50 minutes out and i can only reserve up to 2 hours a day.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
a bit of problem that I can see: this is a hotswap board and with current design, if all the switches are removed, the PCB would fall down.
I think you would want to put some standoffs in the bottom case so the PCB would not fall down.

Offline Zeelobby

a bit of problem that I can see: this is a hotswap board and with current design, if all the switches are removed, the PCB would fall down.
I think you would want to put some standoffs in the bottom case so the PCB would not fall down.
I have cases like this. Hotswap just means you can replace switches without desoldering/soldering. It doesn't mean your switching them out while waiting at the train station for funsies. Sure some boards with mounted/screwed PCBs allow that, but that's really not the purpose. Just unscrew the case and then switch them out. The hold of the hotswap and switches is enough to hold the plate up while in use except for on super flexible and have plate builds. Should be fine on this one.

Offline fooddoof

Made an account just to follow this project. Excited to see what the final hipro design will look like! I’m mourning the loss of the logo up top (the WIP from the IC form), though—how many times will anyone see the sides/bottom vs the top? I just thought it was a nice, simple touch that made it stand out from other boards.

Also the mahjong color scheme is great, imo, but they also happen to be my old school colors, so heh. Curious to see the other proposes colors. Considering price won’t change with/out the emblem at the bottom, are you planning to make it part of a weight or no? Cool reference to your cultural background, appreciate it.

Again, great stuff—looking forward to the next updates!

Offline stubtail42

Definitely interested in this keyboard!

Offline majk_Pazuzu

In for a hi-pro! It's a fantastic price point,  and the lotus will turn out beautifully I think.
But to be honest, I'd take any iteration for the left hand numpad lol

Offline adammliang

Amazing keyboard, and great price point too. Helps spread the hobby with those who have a lower budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
Been following since the first day of IC, great board!!! Do you have any updates on the timing window for the GB? Great job so far and can't wait for GB!!!

Offline Umio1

Re: [IC] Canvas: 65% Left Hand NumPad Keyboard (UPDATE: Design finalized)
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:00:03 »
(2/17/20) - Case and PCB designs finalized final---------- PICS OF THE CASE: https://imgur.com/gallery/ldWxSYE
  • PCB is completed and fully quoted ~ $25-30 for manufacturing and assembly
  • Case designs are both completed and ready to be quoted/put into production; I cannot get a good quote at the moment because of all the Corona Virus causing delays with all of Chinese manufacturing
  • Recently ran into a snag with the finishing process for the boards the place i was originally going to get powdercoat done had a fire so i'll have to check for other locations and get prices: here are colors im thinking of going with (the green, white and black are definites but the others are up in the air; going to offer 5 color options) https://imgur.com/bD4q3oN

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:20:26 »
Very nice! Might be interested in the pink, but if that doesn't fall through definitely want to pick up a white. Hope everything goes well!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:22:42 »
(2/17/20) - Case and PCB designs finalized final---------- PICS OF THE CASE: https://imgur.com/gallery/ldWxSYE
  • PCB is completed and fully quoted ~ $25-30 for manufacturing and assembly
  • Case designs are both completed and ready to be quoted/put into production; I cannot get a good quote at the moment because of all the Corona Virus causing delays with all of Chinese manufacturing
  • Recently ran into a snag with the finishing process for the boards the place i was originally going to get powdercoat done had a fire so i'll have to check for other locations and get prices: here are colors im thinking of going with (the green, white and black are definites but the others are up in the air; going to offer 5 color options) https://imgur.com/bD4q3oN

We are getting a 0.25u gap AND a right blocker? Yeeeessss.

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:31:18 »
*Readies wallet*

This. Is. Fantastic. I can’t wait!

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 01:00:16 »
Oh I vibe with this, I love it

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 06:56:07 »
Cooooooool! It's anodized aluminium, right? Is white just silver then?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:50:17 »
Cooooooool! It's anodized aluminium, right? Is white just silver then?

I'm looking for some place to do powdercoat so colors should be accurate to what is chosen.
White, Black, and Green will be definite color options and I'm thinking 2 more color options would be available on top of having the option to be bare metal (unfinished).

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 10:18:33 »
A blue or dark blue would be cool. Red is always popular as well.

My personal favorite is blue with yellow (to match GMK Nautilus). But understand too many options can be tough.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2020, 10:28:30 by Zeelobby »

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 10:28:19 »
So based on the plate and PCB shots, there will be no option for split backspace and split + on the numpad?

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 10:40:46 »
Will RAL 9010 go with WS2? I’m considering GMK Bleach for this board.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 14:24:38 »
So based on the plate and PCB shots, there will be no option for split backspace and split + on the numpad?

Unfortunately no, there wouldn't be enough people interested to make this option available, at least for the first group buy.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 14:25:20 »
Will RAL 9010 go with WS2? I’m considering GMK Bleach for this board.

What is WS2?

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 14:30:48 »
Unfortunately no, there wouldn't be enough people interested to make this option available, at least for the first group buy.

Thanks for the update!

Also WS2 is one of the default color options GMK provides for keycaps. It's a very bright white.

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2020, 14:32:23 by Abhorrent Cell »

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 14:31:37 »
double post

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:27:37 »
Oh I just noticed this... that's unfortunate, in that case I'm out I think :( I'll think about it but I really like split backspace and split plus on something like this

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:55:54 »
You should for sure do the Ruby Red!!! GMK Darling is using RAL 3003 as well!

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 18:31:59 »

Thanks for the update!

Also WS2 is one of the default color options GMK provides for keycaps. It's a very bright white.

What this friendly poster said. Link to GMK Bleached IC:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104430.0

Offline Umio1

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 08:58:12 »

Thanks for the update!

What this friendly poster said. Link to GMK Bleached IC:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104430.0

I believe it should work with it, RAL 9010 is the whitest you can get as far as RAL colors go. not sure how close it would be to the WS2

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 09:48:38 »
Will there be an option for a reversed layout numpad?

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 15:52:43 »
Also the option for a split "enter and +" for the numpad?

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 16:06:52 »

OP states it won't be an option. At least not in this run.

Offline jchw

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 19:32:54 »
I'm pretty new to the keyboard world and so is still unfamiliar with lots of things. For keyboard GBs like this, does it come as a kit and we need to build it ourselves? I really like this but worried I'll destroy it if I have to build it myself

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 20:14:32 »
I'm pretty new to the keyboard world and so is still unfamiliar with lots of things. For keyboard GBs like this, does it come as a kit and we need to build it ourselves? I really like this but worried I'll destroy it if I have to build it myself

Usually these offer the ability to buy an extra PCB and/or plate, which I ALWAYS recommend.

On top of that, there are other kits you can get which will be much cheaper which allow you to practice soldering. I'd highly recommend a through-hole board to get the most experience.

https://keycapsss.com/diy-kits/104/plaid-pad-4x4-numpad?c=17

A numpad is always a good start.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 22:25:54 »
Will there be an option for a reversed layout numpad?

^^that is correct, this is my first time running a group buy and production so I don't want to over extend myself. If everything goes smooth I'd be happy to do another run!