Author Topic: MacEffects is making backlit Apple IIc keyboards  (Read 1315 times)

Offline ScarletSwordfish

MacEffects is making backlit Apple IIc keyboards
« on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 18:31:46 »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maceffects/backlit-mechanical-keyboard-for-the-apple-iic-computers

I heard about this on the Retro Mac Cast last Sunday, and I think I’m going to go in for one. I have really really wanted to make a split ergo keyboard using IIc keycaps for a long time, but cannibalizing IIc’s just for the keys is abhorrent. These replacements probably won’t stop the Amber Alps obsessives from doing that, but hopefully they will offer some new life to IIc’s that have already been cannibalized. I’m also hoping if there is enough interest that MacEffects will make replicas of other classic Apple boards, like the IIgs or AEK, and maybe even offer keycap sets by themselves.

Offline Maledicted

Re: MacEffects is making backlit Apple IIc keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 09:23:26 »
I don't have a IIc, and probably never will. I would also never scavenge Alps switches from a working system. I don't even do it with working keyboards. It is good to see somebody offering a solution to the vintage keyboard decimation that's taken place. Even if people are tearing these apart for Alps, I hope somebody is supplanting most good systems with some Matias replacements.

Curious that they offer backlighting (actual backlighting with Matias switches, finally? Impossible) but no caps designed for it.

I'm always for more commercial viability for Alps/Matias keyboards either way.  :thumb:

Offline ScarletSwordfish

Re: MacEffects is making backlit Apple IIc keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 21:51:38 »
They are offering completely transparent keycaps, alongside opaque gray and black. Mark said they are working on lasered backlit keycaps but are having trouble finding a durable coating. He also said that they may change the opaque caps from ABS to PBT.

My only quandry now is which colorway to get. I'd love both the black and the gray but I don't think I can justify buying the 3-pack.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2022, 21:53:33 by ScarletSwordfish »