Author Topic: Multiple keys chattering at the same time  (Read 1904 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Multiple keys chattering at the same time
« on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 22:39:18 »
My work computer is a Leopold FC980M.  And has been operational for about 1.5 years or so.  It contains Cherry Brown switches which have been lubed.  I have noticed in the last month that several, perhaps 8 or so have begun to chatter.  Is this most likely a simple switch issue (seems like a heck of a coincidence) or is there maybe some issue with settings.  I'm not really supposed to install software on these computers, but maybe I can run Switch Hitter from a USB to learn a little more info. Just seems a little odd that so many switches should fail at the same time.  Cherry Brown are supposed to be reliable too.   It would be a PITA to lug it home and swap out the switches.  It's also a PITA to have to delete multipe keystrokes all day.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Multiple keys chattering at the same time
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 03:10:11 »
Are they all the heavily used letters that could be wearing out?  Or maybe it's a whole row or column in the matrix suggesting a dodgy controller pin or damaged trace heading to the controller?  A quick search for a pic of the PCB shows some groups of 4 diodes and some in 2s so at a guess it uses U shaped columns so it would be alternating switches across a row or something like 5TGB6YHN.  This is assuming they haven't changed the PCB as the pic I found is from 2016.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 20:25:24 »
I've never had a switch wear out.  Well MAYBE one in 10 keyboards.  I'm at home now, but if I recall it is _, a, s, 1, 2, and I know there are a few more, and those may not be entirely accurate.  The only work I've done is lubing the switches about a year and a half ago.  I think I bought them elsewhere.  I'm not really a hard typer, though I am on this board at work.

How do I go about diagnosing this?  Should I just go ahead and replace the switches that are acting up?  Actually, maybe these are Box Browns, IIRC.  Maybe these are not as hardy as genuine Cherry?
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 03:57:31 »
Unless you type 12 a lot 12AS looks like a possible column failure, QWZX you don't use often so wouldn't notice?  If this is right I'd reflow the pin that's connecting that column back to the controller chip, just add some flux or fresh solder with flux in to the heated joint.

First thing is working out which keys are broken, then if they are connected to each other or random.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 09:30:56 »
I could be wrong but,

Seeing as you had to lube then solder, it's likely you over heated and damaged the switches or some lube got in the wrong spot.
In my (limited) experience BOX tend to do it more than Cherry.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion