Author Topic: Free clicky keyboard from a friend. What am I looking at?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline thatguyyouknow

Free clicky keyboard from a friend. What am I looking at?
« on: Wed, 25 June 2008, 18:27:48 »
I mentioned to one of my friends that I was looking for an old mechanical keyboard; he said that he might have one he doesn't use and could give me.
The next day, he showed up with this.

There is an "X - A" switch on the back, though I have no idea what it does.  I can't find any markings or labels that tell who made this keyboard.  This is the only information on the back, I couldn't get readable pictures with my crappy camera.
Code: [Select]

SDROWSSAP
CP SYSTM - KOLLEW
NOIZ TNUOM

FCC ID:E8H5IKKB-5161

T106087263

Here's the really interesting part though: the keyboard has both blue and black Cherry switches, but both are clicky.

The blue actually are quieter and have a lighter touch than the black.  When I got it, the enter key was very lose and wobbly.  I opened the board to find a tiny plastic clip that helps stabilize the enter key lodged in the corner behind a screw post.  I guess I'm lucky that it never fell out.  It popped right back into place, and as far as I can tell, the keyboard is in perfect condition.  I say, "as far as I can tell," because I can't connect the board to my computer and test it.  It uses a gigantic 5 pin DIN connector.  I know old Model M boards don't work perfectly with average PS/2 to USB adapters, so will I need to look for something special to connect my new keyboard through PS/2, or will this work?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=324241&CatId=465

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 June 2008, 18:42:05 »
Do the switches actually SAY Cherry on them? :confused:

As for the X/A switch, keep it on A. X is for XT (and original PC,) A is for AT (which is the same protocol as PS/2.) And, that adapter that you linked to will work great for AT to PS/2 - there's no protocol changes involved, it's just a wiring change.

Googling the FCC ID mentions that it's a Chicony keyboard.

Offline thatguyyouknow

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 June 2008, 21:00:18 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;5923
Do the switches actually SAY Cherry on them? :confused:

The blues do, nothing on blacks.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 June 2008, 21:32:50 »
Well, IIRC, Cherry blacks are linear switches - no tactile feel whatsoever. Maybe they're Alps blacks or something? :confused:

Offline alpslover

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 June 2008, 23:33:02 »
it's a chicony 5161.  i've got one too, but mine has white alps click tactiles.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 June 2008, 00:51:56 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;5925
Maybe they're Alps blacks or something? :confused:

Alps plungers don't look anything like that.