Author Topic: The Frogpad "keyboard" -- what the?  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Wordhopscotch

The Frogpad "keyboard" -- what the?
« on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 17:45:49 »
Has anybody tried or even seen, by any chance, a Frogpad keyboard?  It's supposed to be a one-handed keyboard, but I think it's the kind of one-handed keyboard meant for two-handed people -- the mouse in one hand, typing with the other, PDAs, etc.  The company claims it's ergonomic, but I absolutely can't see how.  Especially for a truly one handed person.  It's one thing to reduce the distance between the keys, but if you do that on a very flat rectangle, and have to press multiple keys to do one letter, are you not canceling out that effect?  I can't tell by looking at it what kind of switches it uses, but I would guess that the keys bottom out very quickly, and hard.  I thought that to have an ergonomic keyboard, designers took more than the letter layout into account, but I could be wrong.  It bothers me when people use "ergonomic" as a buzzword.  Also, the company claims that their keyboard was designed by "close analysis of human anthropology."  Maybe I'm dense, but what does anthropology have to do with keyboards?

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 17:58:19 »
Well chord keyboards have often been considered to be very ergonomic. The frogpad, is basically a chorded keyboard and half a keyboard. Ergonomic if you must keep your hand on a mouse all times for instance. With such a small board you have the option of sticking and gluing it to pieces of furniture or clothing, imagine driving and typing at the same time, although it might be difficult for manual gearbox drivers like me. Also there are one handed individuals where they just type with one hand and so a frog pad is much more ergonomic where they don't have to keep waving their hand over the keyboard to type
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 18:10:55 »
Yeah, I know -- I'm one-handed.  Any frequency of use layout is better than wavering over QWERTY, so I give it that.  But at least for me, flat keyboards don't give a very good posture, and especially if the keys bottom out quickly I find it very painful after awhile.  I would just think that it would use better switches, at least.  Maybe it depends on the disability, I don't know, but I would just think that for somebody who typed constantly with one hand there would have to be some more considerations made.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 18:15:25 »
Well the frogpad does seem to be made tiny for use with pdas where space is at a premium. I do believe that for a completely ergonomic one handed keyboard should be based around the shape of the hand, but that would make the keyboard much larger and learning a new layout.
This round keyboard seems to be ideal

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/4/6/ToshibaGamingKeyboard.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.slashgear.com/toshiba-gaming-keyboard-not-for-typing-107272.php&h=348&w=480&sz=25&hl=en&start=10&um=1&tbnid=tsqjDb5lO56RPM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgaming%2Bkeyboard%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us%26sa%3DN

But is physically large but mainly does not replicate all the keys like the frog pad does as it has been developed for gaming
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 18:21:16 »
I hadn't seen that one.  Interesting.  I have a Maltron myself, which is definitely bigger (but still compact) and has a frequency of use layout, and it works very well -- that, I know is ergonomic.  However, while I can take it to the library and plug it into a desktop there, there are times when I need to use specific programs and would be better served by bringing a laptop.  It is difficult for me to carry my keyboard and a laptop at the same time.  So, the Frogpad looked interesting, but ultimately very painful, in terms of a portable so-called "ergonomic" device.  (I still don't understand the anthropology thing.)

Offline IBI

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 July 2008, 19:49:35 »
From the shape of the keycaps I've always assumed that the frogpad had low-profile scissor switches.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline meltie

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 July 2008, 02:02:06 »
When it comes to one handed keyboards, I would prefer the Matias Half-Keyboard to the Frog pad.

http://matias.ca/halfkeyboard/index.php

It seems easier to use than the Frog pad if one is used to qwertz Layout.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 July 2008, 09:30:56 »
Quote from: meltie;6361
I would prefer the Matias Half-Keyboard to the Frog pad.

I like how all the pictures show the user typing with one hand and using the mouse (or some other activity) with the other.  I'm thinking if I was one-handed, that might irritate me a bit.

And what if I only have a RIGHT hand?

Offline Wordhopscotch

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 July 2008, 11:10:26 »
Quote from: iMav;6366
I like how all the pictures show the user typing with one hand and using the mouse (or some other activity) with the other.  I'm thinking if I was one-handed, that might irritate me a bit.

And what if I only have a RIGHT hand?

It does kind of make me wonder.  I understand you reach a wider market by appealing to two-handed people, and ostensibly, the more people buy it, the less the technology costs -- which is good, considering that most assistive technology costs you an arm and a leg, ha ha.  But at the same time, if you honestly need a product like that physically, you might think it's not for you if you see a two-handed person using it, you know what I mean?  I saw the half QWERTY before, and dismissed it because I'm right-handed, but at the same time I figured oh, it wouldn't be good for me anyway because maybe it won't have the full functionality, maybe I'm expected to use two hands for something somehow, since they keep saying have one hand on the mouse and type with the other.

I think at least they should show more pictures for both scenarios -- 2 hands alternating, then only one hand on the keyboard.  The Frogpad, too, says its primary market is for people who want something for their PDAs or holding documents at the same time, etc..  When you see something like that, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can't adapt it for your own needs, but sometimes it does give the impression that it won't be enough.  Assistive technology is so medicalized sometimes that it's hard to find in everyday places, and it can be disappointing to look up a one-handed keyboard and then figure it must only be for two-handed people.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 July 2008, 17:26:19 »
Well when the 5 button chorded keyboard comes back in fashion? Maybe we might see a revolution in keyboard design, won't hold my breath though I'm too used to my 80+ keys.

Ultimately the best single hand input device would be a chorded keyboard mouse/trackball/joystick contraption, allowing the other hand to do more useful stuff like drinking some coffee. Would be hellish to learn initially and chorded keyboards will make people get RSI on an unheard level with fingers needs super muscle memory of a guitar player
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline IBI

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 July 2008, 10:37:24 »
Yeah, the keyboard is definitely due for a redesign.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.