Author Topic: ABS, Rebranded Filco?  (Read 18497 times)

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 02:56:43 »
That's a great idea.  Perhaps we can get some Filco-like boards at much more reasonable prices.  I wonder if the black switches in this 'board are like the Dell AT-101Ws or if they are more like the white switches I have in my Northgate 'board.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 02:59:34 »
BTW, looking at the pics on the previous page, the switches do not appear to have "Alps" printed on them, so I wonder if they are "Alps-compatible" switches.

Offline lowpoly

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 03:07:30 »
The Alps switches on my Alps-made board don't have a name on them either.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 03:21:42 »
Quote from: lowpoly;13368
The Alps switches on my Alps-made board don't have a name on them either.

I have suspected that was the case for a while now. The switches on my Northgate were stamped Alps and other than the name, they looked identical to the unbranded switches in my MK96, and the switches in both feel so close that I have always believed them to be Alps made. The slight difference in feel and sound is most likely because one is 20 years and the other was bought NIB.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 03:24:29 »
That's probably the case.  Besides us, who takes apart their keyboards to see who made the switches?  Alps probably removed the name-stamping part of the process as a cost-cutting measure at some point.

Offline alexlzl

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 03:51:27 »
I did a close look at the switch, there is just a "5" on the upper left corner, a "K" on the upper right corner. There is nothing else printed.

Quote from: itlnstln;13367
BTW, looking at the pics on the previous page, the switches do not appear to have "Alps" printed on them, so I wonder if they are "Alps-compatible" switches.
Using: Kinesis Contoured (Cherry Brown)
Own:  Realforce 86UK
Wish: Ergo layout Realforce

Offline alexlzl

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 03:57:30 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;13365
if it's got alps switches then it's the filco zero, maybe we should make noise at this ABS place to bring over the other ones...

Totally a wonderful idea. I will start to request for Filco TenKeyLess from them. :-) I want a ergo/split mechanical keyboard without numpad so bad!

I just went to taobao.com, the largest online auction site in China. Surprisingly there are so many mechanical keyboards there (a search returned more than 400 items). Many are Filco, Plum, Cherry and an interesting one called Aron 109 made in Korea.

Wondering how come in US there is almost none mechanical keyboard market? Perhaps a good time to plan a trip to China.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 03:57:38 »
Where's Chloe, the Google Champ, with an obscure web page showing what this switch is? :)

Offline lowpoly

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 04:00:19 »
Quote from: alexlzl;13381
I did a close look at the switch, there is just a "5" on the upper left corner, a "K" on the upper right corner. There is nothing else printed.
Those numbers could be the only clues to determine wether a switch is a clone or not. That should be added to the switch reference. The Alps original/clone/Strongman issue appears every two weeks and we still don't know the answers. We have to solve this or we will be talking cluelessly about the same issue in years to come.

Alps probably removed the name-stamping part of the process as a cost-cutting measure at some point.
The board I mentioned is from ca. 1990.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 04:05:55 »
Quote:
Alps probably removed the name-stamping part of the process as a cost-cutting measure at some point.  

The board I mentioned is from ca. 1990.

Scratch that...

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 04:08:49 »
I suspect these switches are made by Strong Man (Sheng-chun) now. I posted an article that seemed to be saying as much. They don't have them to buy on any of the ALPS sites.

Offline wellington1869

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 04:11:43 »
Quote from: Chloe;13391
I suspect these switches are made by Strong Man (Sheng-chun) now. I posted an article that seemed to be saying as much. They don't have them to buy on any of the ALPS sites.

Chloe, does "sheng chun" actually mean "strong man"?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline alpslover

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 04:11:52 »
alps doesn't always put their stamp on the top surface of the switch.  sometimes it's on one of the other sides, or even on the bottom which you can't see unless you remove the switch.  some older alps switches don't have the all caps 'ALPS' marking, rather it had their old logo which is a circle with 'Alps' written in cursive inside it, and the logo tends to be very small.

the color of the stems doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, either.  my alps glidepoint keyboard has white alps switches which you'd think would mean they're click tactile, but they're not.  they're soft tactile (they feel a lot like the black alps on dell keyboards, but without the roughness) with rubber dampers.

i'd buy one of these abs's to see how they feel compared to the alps keyboards i have, but newegg is out of stock.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 04:12:13 »
Quote from: alexlzl;13384
Totally a wonderful idea. I will start to request for Filco TenKeyLess from them. :-)

If they would make that in Alps, I would buy one quick as I bought this Topre 86 — the same day it comes out — and I wouldn't care if it had black or white switches.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 04:43:16 »
Quote from: wellington1869;13393
Chloe, does "sheng chun" actually mean "strong man"?

I don't know, it could be Google translation. Sometimes it is Chen-shung. On the Strong Man website it says 笙春企業股份有限公司 which means Chun Sheng Enterprise Co., Ltd.

The SMK-85 have Strong Man "ALPS Compatible" switches. Here's the article that mentions the discontinued ALPS:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cn&u=http://blog.dengzhe.com/article.asp?id=252

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 05:20:05 »
Quote from: Chloe;13396
The SMK-85 have Strong Man "ALPS Compatible" switches. Here's the article that mentions the discontinued ALPS:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cn&u=http://blog.dengzhe.com/article.asp?id=252

Not all of them, here's a pic of my old SMK85:

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 05:33:42 »
Do you know when yours was made? The article said ALPS stopped making the keyboard switches ten years ago. My guess is the SMK-85 began with black ALPS, then switched to Strong Man when supplies ran out. It sounds like they had problems making these switches to begin with as some of them didn't click and some stuck.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 05:37:43 »
I think it's been mentioned somewhere in the forum that that the SMK-85 switched to Strongmans some time ago, but the older versions had Alps.  Currently, the ones being made have Strongman switches.

Offline pex

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 00:20:11 »
Quote from: alexlzl;13295
It also says on the box that the keyboard supports "simultaneous 6-key press".

If you would be so kind, do some testing for us.

Give it a 12-inch rule test.  Use a ruler to press the bottom Z-line, and the ~-line when plugged into a usb port.  Also, try some 6-key combos.

Then, hopefully you have a USB-to-PS/2 adapter lying around.  Use the adapter and give it the ruler.

40 dollars new could be the cheapest n-key rollover keyboard I've ever heard of, even if it isn't a standard retailers price.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline alexlzl

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 04:04:01 »
Just did the testing, I think at most it can take 5-key at the same time at the Z-line (I got CVXZ, or M<>?, assuming SHIFT is also included). However, it gives nothing when I tried the ruler on the ~-line.

The keyboard comes with USB connector only, I don't have a PC with PS/2 connector currently.

By the way, I am testing on a Macbook Air, guess it shouldn't matter.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 04:14:59 »
Quote from: alexlzl;13862
By the way, I am testing on a Macbook Air, guess it shouldn't matter.

Is it the new or the old one? And is it your daily driver/only computer?

Offline alexlzl

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 11:59:53 »
The Macbook Air is the old model (bought back in August 2008). It is my secondary machine (carrying between work and home), my primary machine is a Dell XPS running Ubuntu. I don't think it has a PS/2 connector either, should I try on it too?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 13:16:28 »
Quote from: alexlzl;13882
I don't think it has a PS/2 connector either, should I try on it too?

In that case, no. The USB connection will give the smae results.

Offline zwmalone

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 14:10:07 »
Quote from: xsphat;13886
In that case, no. The USB connection will give the smae results.

It looks like you're having some rollover issues.:D
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 14:28:35 »
:rolleyes:

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 15:56:32 »
Uh oh, time to get another keyboard. :p

Offline zwmalone

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 22:41:03 »
Newegg finally has these in stock again for $70.

Offline wellington1869

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 00:26:46 »
if these have black alps, why not get the $10 shipped NIB at101w instead?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 06:41:18 »
Well, the Abs is prettier, but, true the Dell is cheaper.  That, and the Dells have real Alps.  I am sure the Abs has 3-party Alps-compatible switches.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 06:47:17 »
I may get one of these if the Compaq 'board doesn't work out.  Other than the Abs logo, it is identical to the Filco, and it has my favorite version of Alps.  Also, it has a braided cable with a gold-plated connector for the epic win!

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 06:50:37 »
Not to spam the thread, but I bet you could take that weak-a*s Abs logo off with some Acetone.

Offline zwmalone

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 01:24:31 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17562
if these have black alps, why not get the $10 shipped NIB at101w instead?

-Warranty
-BRAND NEW
-USB Connector (don't have to use an adapter)
-smaller footprint
-better styling
-pretty much the same as a more expensive Filco
-braided cable

if you subscribe to the NewEgg newsletter they occasionally give coupon codes lowering the cost even further.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 08:36:01 »
Quote from: zwmalone;17802
-Warranty
-BRAND NEW
-USB Connector (don't have to use an adapter)
-smaller footprint
-better styling
-pretty much the same as a more expensive Filco
-braided cable

if you subscribe to the NewEgg newsletter they occasionally give coupon codes lowering the cost even further.

But other than all that, yeah, just save the $60 and go with the Dell.

I might pick one of these up if I end up deciding that black Alps are my favorites.

Offline wellington1869

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 13:42:39 »
another reason to get this board would be to swap out the alps black springs and click leafs with ones from an old alps white board. Then you'd basically have the filco with white alps for 60 bucks.

Offline zwmalone

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 13:43:49 »
That would save about $100 over buying a Filco Zero.  Exact same build quality with some extra perks and actual warranty and support that is US based.

Offline sandy55

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 18:48:51 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17819
another reason to get this board would be to swap out the alps black springs and click leafs with ones from an old alps white board. Then you'd basically have the filco with white alps for 60 bucks.

As far as I can see ( through information and pictures posted to this forum ), ABS board comes with simplified I while Filco Zero comes with XM switches which belongs to Simplified II in my classification.
switch base of Simplified I plus real alps spring and click leaf won't make XM.

I'm bit puzzled with this variation of Zero if it uses real ALPS black/tactile or simplified I/click.

In my opinion, the best way to upgrade fake/simplified alps board is swapping whole modules to genuine alps.
example 1
example 2

Offline wellington1869

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 19:33:38 »
"simplified I" looks pretty complicated, lol.
Simplified II is what the mk96 had.
Simplified II in turn comes with two types of click leaves ("narrow" and "broad") which are incompatible with each other (double slot vs single slot in the upper housing module). So for instance the mk96 had narrow leaves, the dell at101w has broad leaves. They cant be interchanged.
Its all very confusing.  

In my opinion, the best way to upgrade fake/simplified alps board is swapping whole modules to genuine alps

if by 'swapping' you mean soldering, thats probably not for me ;)

Offline sandy55

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 23:58:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17832
"simplified I" looks pretty complicated, lol.

not so complicated. the others ( except IIss ) are much complicated.

Quote from: wellington1869;17832
Simplified II is what the mk96 had.
Simplified II in turn comes with two types of click leaves ("narrow" and "broad") which are incompatible with each other (double slot vs single slot in the upper housing module). So for instance the mk96 had narrow leaves, the dell at101w has broad leaves. They cant be interchanged.
Its all very confusing.

Simplified  II and IIss both use same narrow click leaf. Difference between II and IIss is the form of contact plate which locates beside a stem.  

Base block of II and IV are almost same at a glance.  main difference is that II comes with small click leaf while IV comes with broad click leaf  like genuine alps.

You might misunderstood my page because of faulty auto translation

All and all, these are useless info for daily usage of keyboards. but you have any thought of changing internal parts of alps-ish switches, then you need to know.  

By swapping internal parts among simplified/fake switches, you may get some improvement but you can't get no satisfaction.

Offline wellington1869

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 00:07:03 »

but you can't get no satisfaction.

story of my life ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 00:36:39 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17837
story of my life ;)

Sucks to be you! :D

Offline wellington1869

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 01:59:50 »
Quote from: xsphat;17838
Sucks to be you! :D

;) I try and I try and I try and I try.

Offline lowpoly

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 02:11:52 »
Quote from: sandy55;17831

example 1
example 2

Nice mods!

Offline FKSSR

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 21:35:51 »
Hello all!

I just bought an ABS M1, and I'm really liking it.  However, I want some of the keys to be white (certain ones that I won't list right now).

I'm honestly very new to uncovering the secrets of keyboards, so I was wondering if anyone here can help direct me to where I may be able to find white replacement keys for the ABS?

Thank you!

EDIT: itlnstln helped me out with this.  I bought a Macally MK-96 to swap out keys from.  Thanks itlnstln!!!
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline outofideas

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 14:05:21 »
I received one of these from Newegg today, unfortunately it's going back.
Primary reason being that it does not have 6 key rollover.  If I hold down S and X, and then try to press A or D, the third key is completely ignored.  I tested the rollover on 2 windows boxes, and 1 linux box, all with the same results.

Other thoughts:

I was expecting it to be at least a little clicky, but it's nearly silent, it feels nice to type on though.

It definately does not work with a PS/2 converter, I tried 2.  

It felt pretty solidly constructed, and had some heft to it, I doubt it would be sliding around on the desk too much.

It has a fancy cable, but it's a little short.  2-3 feet longer would've been better.

I may try a white alps Filco next.  I'd prefer a 104, but the tenkeyless seem to be more readily available.  Or maybe a black alps Filco, I didn't find the lack of click nearly as annoying as I'd have thought it would be.

Offline itlnstln

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 15:51:36 »
Quote from: outofideas;22049
I may try a white alps Filco next.  I'd prefer a 104, but the tenkeyless seem to be more readily available.  Or maybe a black alps Filco, I didn't find the lack of click nearly as annoying as I'd have thought it would be.

Make sure you get a Filco that specifies N-Key rollover.  Keep in mind, the same OEM makes both the Filco and the ABS (they pretty much identical).

Offline outofideas

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 22 February 2009, 05:37:53 »
Quote from: itlnstln;22059
Make sure you get a Filco that specifies N-Key rollover.

I'm most likely going to try a FKBN104M/EB.   I haven't had a chance to use brown cherries, but I figure if I don't appreciate them, then I can probably resell it to someone.  If it existed I'd go for a FKBN104Z/EB since I'm slightly more sure I'll like fake Alps.  Also I'd prefer a white/tan keyboard, but boards with N key rollover, and a US layoutseem to only come in black/dark brown from Filco.

Back to the M1.  Has anyone here used an M1 that is capable of reporting QWEASD, or ASDZXC, or similar combinations?  I'm loathe to pay a restocking fee if I don't have to.  And other than the lack of 6-key rollover I do like the M1, so I'm wondering if it's worth doing a swap instead of a return.

Offline rio

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 22 February 2009, 22:08:02 »
Quote from: outofideas;22387
seem to only come in black/dark brown from Filco.

Sorry to go OT a bit, but where have you seen a brown Filco? I've wanted a dark brown keyboard for a long time. ;) Thanks!

Offline outofideas

ABS, Rebranded Filco?
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 23 February 2009, 08:09:47 »
Quote from: rio;22450
Sorry to go OT a bit, but where have you seen a brown Filco? I've wanted a dark brown keyboard for a long time. ;) Thanks!

I was just referring to the black one(s), due to the texturing they can appear a little bit dark brownish depending on the light.