Author Topic: Ducky is awesome.  (Read 16592 times)

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
Ducky is awesome.
« on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:20:14 »
Ducky is awesome and fixed it.

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2016, 16:43:54 by itzmeluigi »

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
Re: Ducky is absolute garbage.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:23:46 »
that' funny because allegedly Ducky is better than Filco according to some. I never bought in to that. Go with Filco unless you need gaudy backlighting.
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline srunni

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:40:54 »
that' funny because allegedly Ducky is better than Filco according to some. I never bought in to that. Go with Filco unless you need gaudy backlighting.

Yeah, if you watch this DS3 video presentation, they say it directly:

Ducky Shine 3's main goal is [to] allow users to customize the backlighting to their own desire

TBH, that's not exactly relevant to a lot of users. I'd rather have better quality control (or get a price reduction).
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 17:20:21 by srunni »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:50:22 »
I love my ducky but yeah the stock key caps were not that great.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:50:59 »
It literally looks like a twelve year old inspected this keyboard.

Its chinese manufacturing, it probably was inspected by a 12 year old.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:53:26 »

:))

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:54:46 »
How does the air buble keycaps look like? Can you post a photo of it?

I have 3 duckies: DK9008 Shine 2, PBT dye sublimated G2 Pro DK9008, Shine 3 DK9008 Snake, except a few minor issue, all are fine
One filco, which came with broken keycap on key 'k' and loud squeeky backspace.
One poker2, which is fine.
One leopold fc660c, which is also fine.

Well, no need for me to say which one has bad QC ...
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:27:41 by bahamot »

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:56:17 »

funny, sad & likely lol
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:30:58 »

Oh snap.  Where's Filco made?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:32:50 »

They're made in Taiwan by Costar for Diatec in Japan.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:55:48 »
Well i just got my Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 MX Blue Red Led from Overclockers.co.uk in and it is by far the worst Ducky keyboard yet i have in my collection.  I also recommend no one to shop at Overclockers.co.uk because the stock numbers they list on the website is incorrect.

Show Image

It has air bubbles on the V, 9, >, [, right Ctrl, and F11 keys.  Not to mention theres extra paint spatter over the left Ducky Windows key.  It literally looks like a twelve year old inspected this keyboard. 

This isnt my first Ducky keyboard to have air bubbles on the keycaps though,  My Ducky DK9087 S2 and Ducky DK9008 S2 both have had air bubbles on a few keys but no where near as many as this Ducky Shine 3, Mechanicalkeyboards.com sent replacement keycaps for the Shine 2s but it was still a hassle to get them.  I'm never recommending this lying garbage company that doesnt reply to support emails to any one ever again, they can keep the pretty leds, i want quality and consistency dammit.

I'm  returning this Ducky Shine 3 and was wondering what keyboards are "true" quality, because i'm never touching Ducky anything again.  How are Filcos with MX Blues compared to a Ducky? MX Blues are my favorite switch but i hate how they can be inconsistent with different batches?

This is how i rank my Three Ducky keyboards with MX Blues.

-Ducky DK9008 S2 MX Blue Red Led - Nice firm keypress, loud click, non mushy space bar. - only one i like in my collection :/      

-Ducky Dk9008 S2 MX Blue Red Led/Chinese Ver - Light keypress, inconsistent click across most keys and very loud non mushy space bar.

-Ducky DK9008 S3 MX Blue Red Led/ISO - Nice firm keypress, loud click, very mushy capslock and very mushy hard to press space bar.

So far these inconsistencies are unacceptable from Ducky, all i wanted originally was two consistent keyboards for both of my desktops, but i guess thats to much to ask from Ducky.  I like the simple look of Filcos but was wondering if there are any other simple looking quality mechanical keyboards around?

Pics or it didn´t happen :))
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:16:48 »
Strange.

My ALPS ducky has nothing like that at all. I might even say it's a pretty decent keyboard sometimes.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dante

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:46:26 »
Well i just got my Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 MX Blue Red Led from Overclockers.co.uk in and it is by far the worst Ducky keyboard yet i have in my collection.  I also recommend no one to shop at Overclockers.co.uk because the stock numbers they list on the website is incorrect.

Show Image

It has air bubbles on the V, 9, >, [, right Ctrl, and F11 keys.  Not to mention theres extra paint spatter over the left Ducky Windows key.  It literally looks like a twelve year old inspected this keyboard. 

This isnt my first Ducky keyboard to have air bubbles on the keycaps though,  My Ducky DK9087 S2 and Ducky DK9008 S2 both have had air bubbles on a few keys but no where near as many as this Ducky Shine 3, Mechanicalkeyboards.com sent replacement keycaps for the Shine 2s but it was still a hassle to get them.  I'm never recommending this lying garbage company that doesnt reply to support emails to any one ever again, they can keep the pretty leds, i want quality and consistency dammit.

I'm  returning this Ducky Shine 3 and was wondering what keyboards are "true" quality, because i'm never touching Ducky anything again.  How are Filcos with MX Blues compared to a Ducky? MX Blues are my favorite switch but i hate how they can be inconsistent with different batches?

This is how i rank my Three Ducky keyboards with MX Blues.

-Ducky DK9008 S2 MX Blue Red Led - Nice firm keypress, loud click, non mushy space bar. - only one i like in my collection :/      

-Ducky Dk9008 S2 MX Blue Red Led/Chinese Ver - Light keypress, inconsistent click across most keys and very loud non mushy space bar.

-Ducky DK9008 S3 MX Blue Red Led/ISO - Nice firm keypress, loud click, very mushy capslock and very mushy hard to press space bar.

So far these inconsistencies are unacceptable from Ducky, all i wanted originally was two consistent keyboards for both of my desktops, but i guess thats to much to ask from Ducky.  I like the simple look of Filcos but was wondering if there are any other simple looking quality mechanical keyboards around?

Pics or it didn´t happen :))

Agreed.  Way too easy to anonymously login and crap on a [competing] brand.

FWIW: Not even Realforce or Filco have been able to put out 100% quality boards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:48:19 by dante »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:48:45 »
You have 10 posts. 9 of those are you complaining about duckys you've bought.

My question is :
If you're so displeased with their quality then why do you keep buying them?

Literally your first post was you complaining about the first ducky you bought. If you weren't happy then why would you buy a second?

You then made posts complaining about the second ducky you bought once it arrived. IF YOU WEREN'T HAPPY WITH EITHER OF THEM THEN WHY WOULD YOU BUY A THIRD ONE?
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:02:03 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:56:10 »

My question is :
Hahaha
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:59:27 »

My question is :

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:01:05 »
Oh i'll get some pictures, i have a horrible camera so i have to get the right lighting.  It's probably almost immpossible to get pictures of all the air bubbles though because they are little dots that will scrape the paint off the keycaps if removed.  The only keycaps i can clearly photograph is the V key because it has more then one air bubble on it but i'll try to get all of them since i have to take some time to get a log of pictures anyway.

The air bubbles are completely related to the application of paint they are using, i would sure hope Duckys PBT caps dont have this issue lol.  The fact that three of my Ducky Shines in total have had air bubbles on them, a long with the different feeling modifier keys is enough for me to swear Ducky off and never give them a cent more becuase the quality control of the keycaps they use on the Shine series. (The air bubbles are not going to be present on all of the Ducky Shine keyboards but three is enough to swear them off).  The air bubble problem i think is only related to the Shine series.

Ill get some pictures updated in a few.

@Photekg

Well mechanicalkeyboards.com sent me replacement keycaps for both my Shine 2s so i thought that it might just of been a rare occurance, but apparently not, and because they are the only simple looking keyboards besides Filco i could find.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:04:07 by itzmeluigi »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:01:44 »
Ducky's really upped their game recently and their ****'s legit. I would've expected a thread like this a 3-4 years ago though.

Offline szymonduzyk

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:03:02 »
Ducky is just overpriced for its quality.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:27:04 »
Interesting, I have rarely heard people here complain about the overall quality of duckys, i see plenty of praise here putting them up there with filco as the best stock non-custom cherry mx keyboard you can buy. If it is just related to the key caps quality, no good OEM key caps for backlit boards exist. It is unfortunate that the best quality key caps for backlit keyboards, from what i have seen on geekhack, are on Decks and the font on those is just hideous and the keys not sculpted.

Offline tns

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:33:34 »
what keyboard(s) do u have...

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:57:36 »
what keyboard(s) do u have...
This?

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:00:42 »
OP Do yourself a favor and buy WASD V2 if you want proper quality.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Nakapfao

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:05:35 »

The V2 is a high-quality board no doubt, but several people have reported issues with the Micro-USB port.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:06:14 »
Both my Duckys are fine, although one has a couple of switches that do not click consistently (MX blue).

I have 216 stock Ducky keycaps - none have "air bubbles".  All have a small dot on the back side which is a sprue mark from when the keycaps were made - this is normal for most keycaps, it just shows up more on backlight-friendly ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:07:59 »
True, but i guess OP wanted a backlit keyboard so bad that he forgot he was furious about the other two that was "bad quality". :))

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:30:21 »
True, but i guess OP wanted a backlit keyboard so bad that he forgot he was furious about the other two that was "bad quality". :))

Ducky fixed it

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2016, 16:42:45 by itzmeluigi »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:31:35 »
Seriously? That's like.. nothing.. They're tiny, almost unnoticable bubbles..
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:38:35 »
But if they are even slightly raised, your fingers would be able to feel them.  That would be annoying.

Even so I'd still buy another Ducky - both of mine are fine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:39:52 »
Seriously? That's like.. nothing.. They're tiny, almost unnoticable bubbles..

When im paying for a brand new keyboard in this price range , yes its big deal because those bubbles are very noticeable and will chip paint if they are removed.  They are also way more noticeable in real life.

Yes im picky :) http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45224.msg943622#msg943622
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44808.msg931371#msg931371

But if they are even slightly raised, your fingers would be able to feel them.  That would be annoying.

Even so I'd still buy another Ducky - both of mine are fine.
I like my Ducky DK9008 S2 MX Blues English version, it perfect after the keycaps got replaced. Its just sorta of hard IMO to want to buy another Ducky after experiencing these inconsistencies,  your quite lucky that all 216 keycaps are perfect :) or i just really have horrible luck.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:55:21 by itzmeluigi »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:48:11 »
This is fair enough, although Ducky is far from the most expensive keyboards available.

If you remove the backlighting and costs associated with it, I suspect Ducky would be one of the cheaper brands, despite which they still produce a (mostly) excellent product.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 17:24:19 »
I have a number of Ducky keyboards, seriously thinking of getting the special yellow Ducky with Whites, and I have no issue with any of my boards. I think Ducky makes very good quality boards, if I had believed Ducky makes questionable quality keyboards, I would not keep buying more.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 17:51:45 »

...who in their right mind would claim this? lol
I hate everything.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 17:58:44 »
Looks like ducky is still sucky.  I was kind of hoping they got better, but I guess not.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:51:35 »
I've never had a problem with my ducky, though mine has PBT caps instead of ABS so that may have something to do with it,
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:54:05 »
In anything like you usually tend to get only those with problems joining in the discussion.

But sometimes, like this, you get more positive comments than problems.

Overall the balance seems to be leaning towards Ducky being good - OP must have had a run of bad luck, which can happen.

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:54:23 »
Did not have any problems with my Mini keycaps at all :/
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:56:56 »
I would not equate that to "absolute garbage".  Sensationalize much?  I've had 2 Ducky keyboards now (Shine IIs), and they've been both perfect.  Small defects can happen to every keyboard.  Filco Camo case is a perfect example: case is too tight, only stock modifiers fit on the left side, just barely.  So much so, they even allow an RMA for the Camo case (though my replacement was exactly the same, and I've had to sand both covers to accommodate custom keycaps).  I guess I should post that Filco is absolute garbage too for inflicting that on me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:58:32 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 19:06:39 »

The V2 is a high-quality board no doubt, but several people have reported issues with the Micro-USB port.
link of people reporting this problem?

Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 20:31:01 »
I would not equate that to "absolute garbage".  Sensationalize much?  I've had 2 Ducky keyboards now (Shine IIs), and they've been both perfect.  Small defects can happen to every keyboard.  Filco Camo case is a perfect example: case is too tight, only stock modifiers fit on the left side, just barely.  So much so, they even allow an RMA for the Camo case (though my replacement was exactly the same, and I've had to sand both covers to accommodate custom keycaps).  I guess I should post that Filco is absolute garbage too for inflicting that on me.

Yea the title is a  bit sensationalized, but after having this happen three times i let it slide.  I never planned on getting custom keycaps i just was looking for a simple MX Blue keyboard that feels similar for both of my desktops.  I have one perfect Ducky S2 with some very nice MX blues and spacebar, its just annoying trying to find one that feels similar and having gone through a good amount of them.

Thanks that looks really good im going to look into it more, the hard decision is going to be deciding on what keyboard i should get next, the search begins  :))

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 20:55:07 »
Ducky Shine 3's main goal is [to] allow users to customize the backlighting to their own desire

TBH, that's not exactly relevant to a lot of users. I'd rather have better quality control (or get a price reduction).

I totally agree on that.  To be honest most of the users don't even need all the fancy functions, I just want backlit and a cheaper price and that's.

But I guess that's why they have Ducky Zero Shine for that.

Ducky is Taiwanese based company and their Ducky Shine series boards are also made in Taiwan.

So I'd say in terms of QC it should be similar.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tbc

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 21:23:04 »
who said ducky was higher quality than filco?  I've never heard that once before this thread.

ducky's always been repeated as the products closest to filco quality with backlighting.  this actual means nothing about quality except that it's better than the BWU.  although, I've never seen a complaint about ducky quality (only it's stabs) before this thread.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline bahamot

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 21:26:18 »
who said ducky was higher quality than filco?  I've never heard that once before this thread.

ducky's always been repeated as the products closest to filco quality with backlighting.  this actual means nothing about quality except that it's better than the BWU.  although, I've never seen a complaint about ducky quality (only it's stabs) before this thread.
I did on my YOTS review. I said so based on my own experience.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 21:29:07 »
I have also said that Ducky seems to be of equal quality to Filco with their newer offerings.  That's been my experience.  And down to internals, WFD has a nice Ducky Shine II (YotD) teardown, showing how neat the PCB soldering is.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 21:32:08 »

I totally agree on that.  To be honest most of the users don't even need all the fancy functions, I just want backlit and a cheaper price and that's.

But I guess that's why they have Ducky Zero Shine for that.

Ducky is Taiwanese based company and their Ducky Shine series boards are also made in Taiwan.

So I'd say in terms of QC it should be similar.

Agreed. Don't bash the ducky!

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 05:27:08 »
Mine is fine. You got a lemon... Is it only the keys that your not liking or overall construction?

Offline genkidama

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 06:19:27 »
Reading this topic I was afraid, at first, of my future investment of a Shine 3. But the 'bubbles' really look very small. I guess this is fixable without getting new keycaps, isn't it?

After reading and watching alot of reviews and tests, it looks like Ducky is very similar with build quailty and stuff to Filco. Some time ago I watched one reivew where the guy said Ducky is superior in quality to Filco. But this is a subjective thing and after investing so much time into Duckys I also think they a similar.
Unfortunately I don't know which YouTube video this was, I just clicked through a lot of such videos and comparison videos.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline ZeodoHokill

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 06:29:32 »
Quality can be measured by price

Offline bahamot

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 06:57:10 »
Quality can be measured by price
Generally yes, but not all.