Author Topic: Board chow  (Read 1730 times)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Board chow
« on: Tue, 24 February 2009, 18:10:03 »
It's amazing how much better even a scissor switch board is to type on when you clean the board chow out...

(Also, apparently I'm going bald or something, there was a crapload of hair in this one. :eek: I was kinda hoping one of the keyboard keys would've fallen off while this ThinkPad was in for repairs (there's one or two that are a bit loose,) which would've caused them to throw a fresh keyboard at it, too. (They already threw an LCD latch, an LCD bezel, an LCD hinge, an LCD hinge cover, a palmrest, and a lower case at the thing...))

Offline Mercen_505

Board chow
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 February 2009, 20:36:02 »
I remember about a year ago when I first opened my old M and gave it a thorough cleaning. I had been using the keyboard since... ah... 1992 or thereabouts and although I had given the key caps a good scrubbing every few years I didn't have a thin wall socket to get the case open. As a result, when I finally popped the lid I was greeted with a veritable forest of cat hair and dust. I don't eat in my office so there wasn't any board chow, but I had enough cat hair to weave a small rug or two.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Board chow
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 February 2009, 21:29:23 »
The thing is, Model Ms are unaffected by board chow... it just makes it ugly inside.

Scissor boards... feel worse than chiclet boards once they get a good growth of board chow, especially if a lot of it is hair. :eek: This thing feels like a new board now that it's been cleaned, and now I remember why I like ThinkPad boards. :) (Still prefer Cherry blues, but...)

Offline ozar

Board chow
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 February 2009, 22:06:28 »
haha... it's funny how it doesn't matter how careful you try to be when eating around a keyboard.  Somehow, huge crumbs and various oozy substances always manage to find their way under under the keys.  I can barely stand a bit of dust on my keyboards, much less food crumbs under the keys.  That said, I'm not a big fan of the protective skins you can put on them, either.