Author Topic: Apple IIE Ergofied  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Grimey

Apple IIE Ergofied
« on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:12:45 »
This was a project I undertook to make a keyboard for my wife.  My wife like me is a computer programmer and hearing her talk about hand discomfort from her WASD (standard layout mostly), I decided it was time to make here something interesting.  As my previous attempt came out fine but lacking in completeness http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37739.0 , felt it was time to start with work with something more manageable.  Also look at the previous link if you have any questions on how I did this.  Replacing the circuit board with a wired matrix is fairly simple when a teensy 2.0++ is available for programming (the controller is under the LED ports if you were wondering.  Right Thumb Space, Left Thumb Backspace  and yes the D,F,J,K are flipped around, my Apple keyboards from this era had the numbs on the D,K and my wife was not willing to work with that.

I also didn't take step by step pictures for this as I did that in my previous post, this is just some shots of the final produce.  I do have an ergodox on order which I may let my wife have if she likes it, but we will have to see.

The final layout for my wife to use (minus a mouse which she has at work, haven't tried to get her into a trackball yet)

All in all I am happy with how it came out, but sure there are things I would do different next time.  The case is cruder than I would have liked, but everything is contained and working.  My wife also loves the dampened White ALPs that come on this board, and I would have to agree.  The dampened Cream ALPS I got in as different AIIEk had a higher force requirement than these.

Thanks for looking all.
Erlang your pants off

Offline khaangaaroo

Re: Apple IIE Ergofied
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 01:31:12 »
mad props bro

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 05:12:46 »
Awesome ghetto mod :)

Can you post some pics on the pcb?

Offline Grimey

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 08:49:25 »
Awesome ghetto mod :)

Can you post some pics on the pcb?

There is no PCB proper anymore.  The wiring was done point to point like  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37739.0 this was.  I would be willing to take more photos if people were interested, but my wife has already taken it to her work.
Erlang your pants off

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:23:08 »
Nice. How long did that take from start to finish?
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:58:32 »
Nice. How long did that take from start to finish?

Too long honestly.  I probably spent a total of 15+ hours or so on it as it this project doubled as a learning experience for many of these things.  I could get one of these done on a long weekend now that I have a better idea of what I am doing.
Erlang your pants off

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 04:25:28 »
But now it looks like she might cut herself on it...
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 18:46:42 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 March 2013, 18:49:18 by zenuty »
LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 05:18:51 »
I love the Passion!