Author Topic: Video Request: Typing on the ErgoDox  (Read 3526 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Video Request: Typing on the ErgoDox
« on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 18:45:13 »
I still have a few more supplies to get before I put mine together (iron needs a new tip), but I'm really curious to see how this thing types. Would it be possible for one of you who have one built to post a quick video? Thanks in advance :D

Offline Sai

Re: Video Request: Typing on the ErgoDox
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 19:28:49 »
ahaha. this is what i am waiting for as well. it's strange that no one posted a video yet.
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 22:16:37 »
Plenty of people have these, but I'm guessing not very many are "fluent" at it yet.

Offline Larken

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:06:33 »
as requested.

basically this is a video of me typing this actual post, although I did go back and edit away certain bits of the post where I start rambling away to keep my fingers moving, so the actual post is a lot shorter than what it originally was when I finished the video. You can watch the full 2 minutes if you want, but its basically the same thing for the entire shot. And if you see me hitting backspace alot at first - its mainly because I haven't had my morning coffee yet.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:09:10 by Larken »
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:19:00 »
this really makes my want to try typing on one of these

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:21:06 »
as requested.

I just KNEW you were going to be the first person to post a video. Thanks for sharing :)

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:21:33 »
That looks pretty cool actually. I want to try it

Offline Sai

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:22:45 »
as requested.

basically this is a video of me typing this actual post, although I did go back and edit away certain bits of the post where I start rambling away to keep my fingers moving, so the actual post is a lot shorter than what it originally was when I finished the video. You can watch the full 2 minutes if you want, but its basically the same thing for the entire shot. And if you see me hitting backspace alot at first - its mainly because I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

when are we meeting? i want to try !!  :p

Offline Larken

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:29:00 »
@Jocelyn - Would have done it earlier if my earlier attempt didn't crash and burn (camera autofocus failed the first time - which was why the ergoclear typing sound was an mp3 instead of a video) But this time I set it manually. :)

@Sai - we'll have to ask aranair on that, lol. I'll send him a pm later and see if he can set a date for our meet up.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Sai

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:40:28 »
@Jocelyn - Would have done it earlier if my earlier attempt didn't crash and burn (camera autofocus failed the first time - which was why the ergoclear typing sound was an mp3 instead of a video) But this time I set it manually. :)

@Sai - we'll have to ask aranair on that, lol. I'll send him a pm later and see if he can set a date for our meet up.

alright. thats ok by me

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:46:13 »
as requested.

Perfect! Thank you :) If I may ask, what switches/springs/lube are you using? And also layout.. I'm having a hard time figuring out what layout I want to use. I'm a programmer, and the default layout isn't very code friendly.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:46:57 »
If I may ask, what switches/springs/lube are you using?

Huhuhu :)

Offline Larken

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 02:52:32 »
Perfect! Thank you :) If I may ask, what switches/springs/lube are you using? And also layout.. I'm having a hard time figuring out what layout I want to use. I'm a programmer, and the default layout isn't very code friendly.

ergoclears, 55g springs, superlube oil/grease mixture for stems and sliders, victorinox for springs, stickered. I may switch to krytox if I find it a huge improvement (I'm planning to test it out on another ergodox set when I get 103).

I'm not a programmer, but I write alot, so the layout I'm using might not be too good for you. Feel free to use it as a starting point to tweak your own layout though.

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=7M8A25&hash=67acd02637046ec51918de37912db51c

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 04:53:45 »
I noticed you only use the tip if your right thumb to press the key, but use the whole left thumb to press the key.

Offline Larken

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 06:24:48 »
I noticed you only use the tip if your right thumb to press the key, but use the whole left thumb to press the key.

yea, all my bad habits are showing through now that I am used to the matrix layout of the ergodox - you probably noticed that I don't rest on the home row either, and just on the F and J scoops, and I don't always press pinky column keys with the pinky. I actually did do all the correct finger pressings to its corresponding columns when I first began to use the ergodox, but I have no idea what happened in between.

The thumb thing has a lot to do with how the keyboards are positioned in relation to my body and the angle it is tilted at. I just do what feels comfortable and that was apparently it. I really do use the backspace (left thumb) and space (right thumb) the way you pointed out in regular use.