geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Keebsake Artisan Tray - (6.5.21 Update)

<< < (3/13) > >>

Kaidesk_Lee:
Fantastic concept and design! Looks like it shows off your artisans beautifully. I'm not a huge fan of handwriting style fonts, but that's personal preference so probably irrelevant.

KevenKeys:
Just want to start off by saying thank you all for taking the time to check out the post and for responding with feedback! I really do appreciate it regardless if you want one or not.

--- Quote from: Space_Case88 on Wed, 17 February 2021, 23:50:16 ---I like dis. I almost feel like it would be nice to only have one large artisan slot in the bottom center.

--- End quote ---
So bottom center as in remove the blocker?

--- Quote from: erich8to on Thu, 18 February 2021, 09:15:17 ---This is very nice

--- End quote ---
Thank you!

--- Quote from: Cer4sum on Wed, 17 February 2021, 23:06:09 ---Haha,  SO SICK. Good job :)

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
Thank you!

--- Quote from: o3okevin on Wed, 17 February 2021, 23:15:50 ---It might be good to offer a variant with the 2.25U slots split into two 1U slots. Would look cleaner for those that don't have any 2.25U artisans

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the feedback. So offering 2 variants might only become viable with larger quantities. Based on feedback so far I doubt I will get there on a first run. That being said, the creative juices are flowing and I have an idea that might make both sides happy. I am reworking the model and will have to get new quotes for it so hang tight. Just for my knowledge, what do you think of how it looks/works in its current state? I have a picture up where I have 2 1u artisans in the 2.25 slot. Is it unsightly? Thanks again!

--- Quote from: ghostjuggernaut on Thu, 18 February 2021, 00:09:28 ---
--- Quote from: o3okevin on Wed, 17 February 2021, 23:15:50 ---It might be good to offer a variant with the 2.25U slots split into two 1U slots. Would look cleaner for those that don't have any 2.25U artisans

--- End quote ---

I agree on this.  A UV resistant lid would also be a nice addition if this will be exposed to light all the time.  Cool idea regardless, I like smaller artisan cases.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the feedback! So this topic is pretty interesting and I have been reaching out to artisan makers for opinions. I would also love to have a healthy discussion on this topic too bc I AM SUPER CURIOUS to hear what people have to say. I reached out to one of my favorite artisan makers and we chatted about UV and current/past case offerings. If you look at many of the GBs that have passed I can only see Archetypes beautiful Chronos being one of the only ones that state the lid is coated for UV protection. Simple acrylic and glass do not possess the ability to block "most" UV light in their common uncoated state. When you buy prescription glasses you get the ability to purchase similar coatings for your lens. I am no expert on the subject and would prefer to hear stories of how and when people noticed their artisans yellowing. This one particular maker mention their artisans are on their desk in a lid-less case and 2 have been on there for more than a year next to a window. Mixed resin is pretty resistant to UV compared to unmixed is what I was told. 

All that being said, on this particular design I really do like to see my artisans without any glare. The subject becomes one that appears in other worlds filled with collectors which is a split discussion. If you had the original Mona Lisa in your collection would you keep in a vault protected and never look at it OR would you hang up somewhere you could appreciate it. If you had a Ferrari F40 would it be a garage queen or would you take it out to the track? No wrong answer here at all. I bring this up to mention this case is for those who want to see them, grab them and swap them pretty frequently. You can even have the best of both worlds by having something like a Wongbox, Naptime, Stashbox, Sisi, or Chronos for storage/preservation of the larger collection and leave some favorites on the desk on here. This has a smaller footprint after all.

Super excited to hear some thoughts on this!! 

--- Quote from: Kaidesk_Lee on Thu, 18 February 2021, 09:27:56 ---Fantastic concept and design! Looks like it shows off your artisans beautifully. I'm not a huge fan of handwriting style fonts, but that's personal preference so probably irrelevant.

--- End quote ---

Thank you! I am playing with the idea of moving the engraving to the back of the top piece. I will drop a picture soon and ask for feedback on that as well!

o3okevin:

--- Quote from: KevenKeys on Sat, 20 February 2021, 12:07:57 ---

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the feedback. So offering 2 variants might only become viable with larger quantities. Based on feedback so far I doubt I will get there on a first run. That being said, the creative juices are flowing and I have an idea that might make both sides happy. I am reworking the model and will have to get new quotes for it so hang tight. Just for my knowledge, what do you think of how it looks/works in its current state? I have a picture up where I have 2 1u artisans in the 2.25 slot. Is it unsightly? Thanks again!

--- End quote ---

Personally speaking (by no means on behalf of anyone else) it does look a bit weird especially when the rows above are split into 1x1 slots.
There's also a possibility that if caps aren't aligned properly to the left/right in the 2.25u slot it just looks a bit weird lol

ghostjuggernaut:
More

--- End quote ---

I agree on this.  A UV resistant lid would also be a nice addition if this will be exposed to light all the time.  Cool idea regardless, I like smaller artisan cases.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the feedback! So this topic is pretty interesting and I have been reaching out to artisan makers for opinions. I would also love to have a healthy discussion on this topic too bc I AM SUPER CURIOUS to hear what people have to say. I reached out to one of my favorite artisan makers and we chatted about UV and current/past case offerings. If you look at many of the GBs that have passed I can only see Archetypes beautiful Chronos being one of the only ones that state the lid is coated for UV protection. Simple acrylic and glass do not possess the ability to block "most" UV light in their common uncoated state. When you buy prescription glasses you get the ability to purchase similar coatings for your lens. I am no expert on the subject and would prefer to hear stories of how and when people noticed their artisans yellowing. This one particular maker mention their artisans are on their desk in a lid-less case and 2 have been on there for more than a year next to a window. Mixed resin is pretty resistant to UV compared to unmixed is what I was told. 

All that being said, on this particular design I really do like to see my artisans without any glare. The subject becomes one that appears in other worlds filled with collectors which is a split discussion. If you had the original Mona Lisa in your collection would you keep in a vault protected and never look at it OR would you hang up somewhere you could appreciate it. If you had a Ferrari F40 would it be a garage queen or would you take it out to the track? No wrong answer here at all. I bring this up to mention this case is for those who want to see them, grab them and swap them pretty frequently. You can even have the best of both worlds by having something like a Wongbox, Naptime, Stashbox, Sisi, or Chronos for storage/preservation of the larger collection and leave some favorites on the desk on here. This has a smaller footprint after all.

--- End quote ---

UV damage is real.  You can look at any white artisan from years past and see the signs.  One maker may not experience it as much based on material selection, however its real.  You can look at window tint as an example.  There is tint that blocks UV rays.  Ive made this suggestion to other people in the past with no success, so dont feel like saying "no" is a bad thing.  Just throwing it out there.

But also, dust.

KevenKeys:

--- Quote from: ghostjuggernaut on Sun, 21 February 2021, 01:47:28 ---More

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

UV damage is real.  You can look at any white artisan from years past and see the signs.  One maker may not experience it as much based on material selection, however its real.  You can look at window tint as an example.  There is tint that blocks UV rays.  Ive made this suggestion to other people in the past with no success, so dont feel like saying "no" is a bad thing.  Just throwing it out there.

But also, dust.

--- End quote ---

I hope that didn't come out wrong. I 100% know that UV damage in resin is real. I've filled in cavities and cracks in live edge slabs with resin in my wood projects. If I were to look at some of the shelves throughout my house, there is one in particular with resin fills which yellowed quite a bit over time. It used to hang about a foot away from floor to ceiling glass windows on the 5th floor of an apartment complex that would get drenched in sun for a few years. That is the only one that has yellowed. So its not a matter of "if" more so its a matter of how long it takes under which conditions (which is beyond me to calculate lol). I have a wood table with resin filling that receives quite a bit of sun daily but is not in direct sunlight and it has not yellowed (about 6 years old). I imagine most desk setups are not in direct sunlight because it would be hard to work. All that to say.... I try not to let the worry take the fun out of the hobby. If I am too afraid of UV I would probably not even mount them on a keyboard either.

I do appreciate the input and the part where saying "no" is ok. Its a good reminder to myself. To be honest I do feel like if I adjust the design to accommodate a lid, I will need to raise the sides and we will have the typical box look which is great, but not what I was trying to do here. Most likely a lid will not happen on this design but I will keep an open mind as I continue playing with designs!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version