geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Model M Keycaps and Full Keys

(1/2) > >>

neoezekiel:
I recently spoke with a representative at Unicomp who informed me that they are beginning to run out of caps and replacement keys for Buckling Spring keyboards like the IBM Model M and its brethren.

Unicomp, as of recent years has become the only real place to buy keycaps and replacement keys for our dear IBM Model Ms (And a number of others, such as the Model F).

The alternatives being eBay, clickykeyboards.com, or Fentek Industries all of which are suffering the same low inventory problems. 

The biggest issue causing the lack of supply is the expense to tool a facility to create new keys and the relatively small demand for custom keys compared to other key switch types (Cherry or Alps).

I asked if it would be possible to order custom production runs and he said it would need to be for a large volume of keys.

Do you guys here at Geek Hack think that we would be able to get enough people together for a group buy on a custom production run?

I have seen a few people try here in the past but I am not certain if anyone has succeeded thus far to have a full set made.

TLDR;
Running out of BS keys and caps, who thinks we should go for a group buy?

Halverson:
Red alert BS? I think we've been trying to get that for a long while.

CPTBadAss:
I'm really confused by the OP. Was hoping you could clear some questions up.

1) Like Halverson said, I was under the impression the Red Alert buckling spring set was coming soon. So there is already some demand on GH. Is this not the impression you got?

2) If there is a lack of supply of keycaps, how would they fulfill the RA set and a GB?

3) Next, if there is a demand for custom Alps keycaps sets, where can I get one of these 'cause I'd really love a set but they're no where to be found? I'm not sure there's that high of a demand for Alps caps and that makes me sad.

4) Finally, what do you mean by "keys" and "caps". To me, they're the same thing.

neoezekiel:
Sorry for not responding sooner, I got stuck in a meeting

Didn't mean to cause any confusion, I am more than happy to clarify.  :)

--- Quote from: CPTBadAss on Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:13:03 ---1) Like Halverson said, I was under the impression the Red Alert buckling spring set was coming soon. So there is already some demand on GH. Is this not the impression you got?
--- End quote ---
After browsing GH and DA for several hours over the past few weeks the RA set was the only BS keyset that looked like it had really gone anywhere whereas several GBs have been done for Cherry caps and various other parts such as KB Cases and switch mounting plates.

--- Quote from: CPTBadAss on Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:13:03 ---2) If there is a lack of supply of keycaps, how would they fulfill the RA set and a GB?
--- End quote ---
It is still possible to have new keys made but the keycaps and keys available are primarily new-old stock from the mid to late 90s or parts that have been salvaged from (hopefully) non-functional units. 

--- Quote from: CPTBadAss on Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:13:03 ---3) Next, if there is a demand for custom Alps keycaps sets, where can I get one of these 'cause I'd really love a set but they're no where to be found? I'm not sure there's that high of a demand for Alps caps and that makes me sad.
--- End quote ---
I very well could be wrong on the availability of custom Alps keycap sets but they seem to be fairly available in the asian market segment.

--- Quote from: CPTBadAss on Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:13:03 ---4) Finally, what do you mean by "keys" and "caps". To me, they're the same thing.

--- End quote ---
I differentiate BS "keys" from BS key "caps" because they are actually two very different things.
There are two primary types of buckling spring keys that I have experienced over the years; One has removable key covers or "caps" which are not attached to the key stem that actuates the spring and a second type where the key cover and stem are a single unit or "key".

BS Actuator Patent with detailed diagrams
http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m-gallery/buckling-spring-torsional-snap-actuator-harris-ibm-1978/

A picture of the two different kinds
The top is a stem and "cap" the bottom is a "key"
http://www.clickykeyboard.com/techpics/key_caps_compared.gif

CPTBadAss:
Gotcha. Well that's interesting info. I'd be interested in a GB. I just got my hands on an SSK so I know what you mean about the 1 piece caps vs 2 piece keys now.

And I really don't think there's a high demand for Alps custom sets. Unless I'm totally off, most caps I've seen from here and OTD are salvaged from other boards.

What forum/site is DA?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version